Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Or they may decide based on opponents.

Versus a Toronto, you may want Moore and Gryz over Miller because of their skating alone. But then again, you may want Miller and Moore against that deadly PP. Or you might want to go 11 forwards and 7 d-men and give Gryz some time on the wing. Versus a Montreal, it would be different.

Big decision has to be made.

Yeah the makeup of the d definitely give Cassidy options depending on the opponent.

Reactions: Thrive

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Also posted this in the Providence Bruins thread, but figured it was interesting if he has success. Kovar signed a contract with the Islanders in the off-season but didn't make them out of camp. He wouldn't report to Bridgewater of the AHL, and his contract was terminated. Now he's here in Providence on a PTO. He's currently not under contract with Boston so who knows what this ultimately is. He could have easily went back to the KHL, I would assume. Bruins could view him as a possible 3LC option, but want to see how he looks in Providence first.

Kovar is a 28 year old Czech-born center who has played his career in the KHL, producing at a PPG rate.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The secondary scoring ain't coming. A more unconventional approach.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak

No explanation required

Debrusk - Kuraly - Bjork

A fast relentless line. Both Debrusk and Bjork are good enough to create their own looks, not really stop and fire type of wingers with big blasts or one-timers.

Donato - Krejci -Backes

If Krejci and Backes are going to be old and slow, let them be old and slow together. Give Donato two vets who are defensively responsible and both are pass-first players to Donato the shooter.

Nordstrom - Acciari - Wagner

It's a 4th line. I'd have no problem inserting Heinen for any of these 3 guys, but Cassidy seems unwilling to venture away from a traditional 4th line.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

No explanation required

Debrusk - Kuraly - Bjork

A fast relentless line. Both Debrusk and Bjork are good enough to create their own looks, not really stop and fire type of wingers with big blasts or one-timers.

Donato - Krejci -Backes

If Krejci and Backes are going to be old and slow, let them be old and slow together. Give Donato two vets who are defensively responsible and both are pass-first players to Donato the shooter.

It's a 4th line. I'd have no problem inserting Heinen for any of these 3 guys, but Cassidy seems unwilling to venture away from a traditional 4th line.

Ahh yes, let’s promote backes to the 2nd line. He hasn’t been able to register a point this season while having the 22nd easiest quality of competition in the nhl and getting considerable amount of power play time. Lets promote him so he has to play against tougher matchups.

Rather bench him and let heinen play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ahh yes, let’s promote backes to the 2nd line. He hasn’t been able to register a point this season while having the 22nd easiest quality of competition in the nhl and getting considerable amount of power play time. Lets promote him so he has to play against tougher matchups.

Rather bench him and let heinen play.

Well in my line-up it's Krejci has been demoted to the 3rd line with Donato and Backes.

Maybe I should of numbered my lines for your convenience.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC

Also posted this in the Providence Bruins thread, but figured it was interesting if he has success. Kovar signed a contract with the Islanders in the off-season but didn't make them out of camp. He wouldn't report to Bridgewater of the AHL, and his contract was terminated. Now he's here in Providence on a PTO. He's currently not under contract with Boston so who knows what this ultimately is. He could have easily went back to the KHL, I would assume. Bruins could view him as a possible 3LC option, but want to see how he looks in Providence first.

Kovar is a 28 year old Czech-born center who has played his career in the KHL, producing at a PPG rate.

I found this... move, if we can call it that... interesting. Besides looking at stats, is there any more info on him?

Reactions: Strafer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well in my line-up it's Krejci has been demoted to the 3rd line with Donato and Backes.

Maybe I should of numbered my lines for your convenience.

Oh lord, it’s worse than I thought, promoting Kuraly to the 2nd line and dropping Krejci to the 3rd line. I thought we were trying to increase secondary scoring, not trying to put one of our worst offensive players on the 2nd line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Oh lord, it’s worse than I thought, promoting Kuraly to the 2nd line and dropping Krejci to the 3rd line. I thought we were trying to increase secondary scoring, not trying to put one of our worst offensive players on the 2nd line.

It's unconventional no doubt....but in my OP there is some logic to it (probably not much though) ;)

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well hopefully this second line sticks and solves that problem.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Cehlarik-JFK/Frederic-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Backes

Reactions: Blowfish

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH

No explanation required

Debrusk - Kuraly - Bjork

Donato - Krejci -Backes

i actually really like this .. except i would have heinen in for donato.. i think he would fit the "pace" of that line a lot better. donato needs some ahl seasoning, most of all confidence boosting.. i cringe every time he goes in to a check and spins so that he hits them with his back.. seguin did this in his first season . kuraly is good enough defensively to help debrusk and bjork with some consistent playing time will be ok. i just worry about kuraly's tunnel vision at times. im all for it.. this lineup needs tweaking.. and not every game...make a decision butch and give it five games, this carousel of players and lines is not helping

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't see a single player in the middle6 playing well consistently...

Krejci - He may be skating better than he has in years but his hands (usually one of his strengths) have been off and he has repeatedly lost his control of the puck. Also seems to have zero chemistry with any of the kids.

DeBrusk - Looks out of the play and out of sync unless he has the puck. I think he's only had one legitimately good game this year.

Heinen - Hasn't played a good game yet and las lacked the drive and tenacity that got him into the league and made him such a two-way force last year.

Donato - Flashes of brilliance combined with long stretches of puck watching. Has flubbed a half dozen scoring chances in the blue paint. Talented enough and ready enough to develop now but probably not someone you want to depend on for scoring until he finds some consistency.

Bjork - Effort has been great, decisions with the puck have been questionable but like Donato you'd like to be able to forgive that stuff and let him develop. Both guys could pay become impact players in the second half but can they wait that long for their middle6 to start scoring?

Backes - This year's whipping boy. I don't think he's been as bad as many are making him out to be. I thought he was good in the first game against Edmonton. He was killed for his game in CGY but I thought he did some good things... for example Donato had that great scoring chance early against CGY and it was Backes' forecheck that helped create the turnover and set that play in motion. He wins his draws, he does a good job defensively and has been getting a lot of the Dzone starts, freeing up Bergeron and Krejci to be more offensive... All that said, the complete lack of offense is unacceptable.

At the end of the day, the only two lines that have played up to their are the Bergeron line and the 4th liners.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Now that Bakos is playing down in Providence, if he shows something, he might be one to get a good look at 2nd line RW. It might solve some problems- Debrusk can go back to his natural LW position. If it's all about internal competition being healthy, this guy might push for something here.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I know we have all been focusing on forward lines the past few weeks, but I would like to see Carlo moved up with Chara and McAvoy with Moore to get McAvoy going again.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I know we have all been focusing on forward lines the past few weeks, but I would like to see Carlo moved up with Chara and McAvoy with Moore to get McAvoy going again.

That's not a bad idea, really. A nice skating pair. I think Charlie looks pretty good with Grizz too, but I think the experience level of that pairing might scare the coaches :D
It will be interesting to see what does happen if Miller is not ready to go- where do you stick Kampfer?

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

No explanation required

Debrusk - Kuraly - Bjork

Donato - Krejci -Backes

I'm behind this 100%. Love the thinking with these lines.

Reactions: BruinDust

remer

Oct 18, 2005
It is looking like a gamble that Sweeney did not address a few issues this summer hoping some of the young guys would be ready for the NHL and they are not yet. As well, hoping some of last years rookies would take off and produce and that isn't happening right now. Looking for some magic in a bottle for unknowns like Bakos or Kovar to maybe make the NHL team is a big hope.
Debrusk, Donato, Bjork, Heinen are all struggling to start the season.
JFK, Frederick, or Studnicka not making the big club.
Kuraly not grabbing the 3 line center spot.
Backes with his weight loss, we hoped for a better year and it's not looking good.
Rask looking shaky to start the year.
Moore has played well but without a point yet.
Krejci again having issues with finding anyone that can play with him.
AHL team is struggling.Cehlarik has been a healthy scratch.
Zboril and Senyshen (2015- 1st rd) struggling early on.

So hopefully some bright spots will appear.
I think the split squad and the China trip is showing some of the effects on the team.
Can be excited that maybe some of these rookies will take off. Lots of potential.
Vaakanainen, Lauko, Studnicka or Hughes gives us hope.
The Bruins are very one dimensional in offense in the NHL but "wow " what a first line.
Halak has looked good so far.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It is looking like a gamble that Sweeney did not address a few issues this summer hoping some of the young guys would be ready for the NHL and they are not yet. As well, hoping some of last years rookies would take off and produce and that isn't happening right now. Looking for some magic in a bottle for unknowns like Bakos or Kovar to maybe make the NHL team is a big hope.
Debrusk, Donato, Bjork, Heinen are all struggling to start the season.
JFK, Frederick, or Studnicka not making the big club.
Kuraly not grabbing the 3 line center spot.
Backes with his weight loss, we hoped for a better year and it's not looking good.
Rask looking shaky to start the year.
Moore has played well but without a point yet.
Krejci again having issues with finding anyone that can play with him.
AHL team is struggling.Cehlarik has been a healthy scratch.
Zboril and Senyshen (2015- 1st rd) struggling early on.

So hopefully some bright spots will appear.
I think the split squad and the China trip is showing some of the effects on the team.
Can be excited that maybe some of these rookies will take off. Lots of potential.
Vaakanainen, Lauko, Studnicka or Hughes gives us hope.
The Bruins are very one dimensional in offense in the NHL but "wow " what a first line.
Halak has looked good so far.

I feel like your posts consist of the same points every time.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
That's not a bad idea, really. A nice skating pair. I think Charlie looks pretty good with Grizz too, but I think the experience level of that pairing might scare the coaches :D
It will be interesting to see what does happen if Miller is not ready to go- where do you stick Kampfer?
9th floor and call up Vaakanainen. :sarcasm:

If Miller isn't out long term, then probably have Kampfer pair up with Grzelcyk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->