HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I'd like to see:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Bjork/Cehlarik
Heinen - Backes - Bjork/Cehlarik
Wagner - Kuraly - Acciari

Maybe give Donato another 5 games or so but I think he's relying on the powerplay to keep his spot right now. If he continues to struggle, I'd call Cehlarik up and see how him and Bjork fit in the top nine.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
There are still some folk on here wanting him back!!! So no I can't get over it!

I'll take Rick Nash on a 1-year deal for the right money.

You make it sound like the guy was absolutely terrible during his time in Boston. But really that wasn't the case. He was a solid two-way winger, it wasn't just about offense.

I have no interest in him on a multi-year pact, but the guy can still play in the NHL. He was a half-point a game guy here last year, even with a concussion. Half the forwards in the league would be over the moon to post 40 points in a season.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I keep remembering that riley nash between marchand/pastrnak was a DOMINANT LINE THAT SCORED and still was able to play enough defense too. I love the chemistry marchand/Bergeron have but it really doesn't help marchand score more. when Bergeron is on the line, its more of a defensive line. marchands scoring doesn't improve.

if we wanted more balance I think we should test the kids chemistry with Bergeron. move kuraly up to play with marchand/pastrank and let him play the riley nash role from last year. maybe put Heinen and donato with Bergeron. it still leaves debrusk and Bjork to play with krejci… and the bonus of my idea is backes suddenly gets killer matchups on the 4th line.

if this idea sucks… find out by trying it and go back to what works. but I think we have tested it. when Bergeron gets hurt the pastnak/marchand line has been just fine. they don't need Bergeron holding their hand to succeed

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'll take Rick Nash on a 1-year deal for the right money.

You make it sound like the guy was absolutely terrible during his time in Boston. But really that wasn't the case. He was a solid two-way winger, it wasn't just about offense.

I have no interest in him on a multi-year pact, but the guy can still play in the NHL. He was a half-point a game guy here last year, even with a concussion. Half the forwards in the league would be over the moon to post 40 points in a season.

I want someone completely different than Nash. It's a risk for him and for the bruins. I would prefer going another direction. Doesn't matter he's likely going to retire.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

There are a select few here that know I spoke with Resnick not to long ago

thanks dom... I heard doug mclean talking about rick nash just this past week on hockey central and even though he didn't claim to have inside info he did say he feels nash is probably not coming back...

the thing is when a player is in this sort of situation none of us know. we can all try to guess which way this will end up, but if the player himself is struggling and teetering one way to the next no one else can make his decision

and the reality is he might say hes going to announce his retirement in the morning if he wakes up with a bad back ache... but later that day if hes feeling fine playing with the kids he might say, you know what? I could still play

I think this is one situation we wont know anything until we actually know something. the guy would have announced his retirement already if he didn't want to play. so we know, on some level he wants to play. hes just waiting to see how he feels health wise and aches and pains and how much he misses the game when hes not out there with the boys

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

From the article...

“I kind of like Backes in the middle,” said Cassidy. “I think Bjork had his legs under him tonight. Anders just has to learn when to handle the puck — when to make plays, when to hang on. It’s for him to figure out, ‘OK, if I do give it up, it’s tough to get it back.’ We’d like him to possess more.
“Danton’s game is coming and he’s very responsible. So I thought that line worked out well. And it will be the plan going forward — unless something changes.”

So I guess this is where I feel like an ass for poo poo-ing the idea of Backes at C because he couldn't move enough?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I want someone completely different than Nash. It's a risk for him and for the bruins. I would prefer going another direction. Doesn't matter he's likely going to retire.

Arithmetic is really an easy subject. 2+2 really does equal 4.

That doesn't mean that Boston is the likely destination if he chooses to return. But, I wouldn't rule Boston out.

Reactions: Blowfish

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Is Cehlarik one of those guys like Koko that looks like a better and more aggressive skater in the AHL? This clip looks nothing like the "Al Hortford" type player I see when he plays in Boston.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I love the way Bjork and Heinen played with Backes. I would like top see this for 5 games. In that time if we want to swap Donato out, then I would like to see Cehlarik in his spot. Better yet Nash when he is healthy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cehlarik has paid his dues in the minors. He is no longer an AHL player and if Cassidy doesn't think he can use him, then he needs to be traded. He is now an NHL caliber player and needs to be playing the big leagues.

Krejci played 94 AHL games at 1.09 ppg.

Marchand played 113 AHL games at .81 ppg.

Czarnik had 157 AHL games at .99 ppg.

Cehlarik has 86 AHL games at .71 ppg.

Maybe the B’s can hold off on trading him for a bit?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
would be a lot easier to assess if he was actually playing in Boston like he should be.

Agreed, he had a better training camp then Donato IMO but not the "legacy" status. At this point if they don't call him up next it feels as though he's being punished for missing so much time with injuries last season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agreed, he had a better training camp then Donato IMO but not the "legacy" status. At this point if they don't call him up next it feels as though he's being punished for missing so much time with injuries last season.

I think it was more the fact that Donato is universally regarded as a top prospect and 2nd tier Calder contender than his daddy.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Peter Cehlarik deserved better than a last-minute trip to Providence

Good read thank you for posting. Imagine Cehlarik now seeing Nordstrom get a chance on 2nd line. Can't be easy for Cehlarik. S luck!

It’s a question of whether or not the Bruins are trying to reward players who have strong preseasons, or whether or not inertia rules and guys in play stay in play.
In this case, they sent the wrong message.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Cehlarik has paid his dues in the minors. He is no longer an AHL player and if Cassidy doesn't think he can use him, then he needs to be traded. He is now an NHL caliber player and needs to be playing the big leagues.

Cehlarik has 0 points in the first two games of the AHL season and is a team worst -3. He also had 4 points in 17 NHL games. At the age of 23 his time is starting to tick. He is close to being a Kenny agostino type, in the fact that he can put up points in the AHL, but cant find his niche in the NHL.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How many AHL games for Donato?

Not all things are the same.

As MMB referenced, Donato was give a look fresh out of the NCAA and Olympics and produced 5g/4a in only 12 games. This gives him a leg up on a player like Cehlarik, who has less than half that production over 17 games and two years (16-17 he had 11 games 2a, 17-18 he had 6 games 1g/1a). The sample size is comparable I think because both guys played with Top 6 personnel during their cameos. Heck, Cehlarik got Krejci AND Pasta.

I do think that Cehlarik outperformed Donato in Camp, but it appears that Cehlarik is below Donato on the depth chart (based on their NHL production) and that Donato will have to play his way out of the job. I am sure that there will be injuries during the course of the season and Cehlarik will get another look.

Reactions: Blowfish

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cehlarik has 0 points in the first two games of the AHL season and is a team worst -3. He also had 4 points in 17 NHL games. At the age of 23 his time is starting to tick. He is close to being a Kenny agostino type, in the fact that he can put up points in the AHL, but cant find his niche in the NHL.

I am not the biggest Cehlarik supporter, but this is horse shit.

The two players are apples and oranges.

Reactions: bryson21

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I feel confident Cehlarik becomes an NHL player, hopefully it's here first. He won't be able to pass through waivers after this year I'm pretty sure so the clock is ticking for Boston to give him a chance. I would like to see him for a good stint this year and see what he can do to either find a space for him on the team or boost his value for in a trade. Right now I would be surprised if he is still here after the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad