Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Doesn’t stop many folks from attempting to do so. That’s why CORSI get s*** on so hard.

I’ll be honest. The reason I don’t like advanced stats in hockey is because I don’t understand them.

I don’t think any stat should be presented by itself. Hell even non advanced stats should be given context. Even the most basic stats need context. For instance goals. Who has it Grabner that had 27 goals the other year but like 9 or 10 of them were empty net goals. Even assists, sometimes a secondary assist can be purely garbage and lucky, or just a result of cycling a puck around on the power play.

Guys who get a ton of power play time are naturally going to have a ton of assists because they cycle the puck around consistently. Of course these are just very basic examples, but all stats technically need context.

Reactions: BruinsPortugal

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if we are screwing up our game plan to play 'the Toronto opposition' then I got a radical suggestion

reunite kejci/pastrnak/marchand and let them give Toronto headaches. let Toronto worry about shutting down our top line.

put Heinen/Johansson with Bergeron and if we are going to worry about a shutdown line to go after marner/Tavares here you go

leaving debrusk to join coyle/backes… I think coyle/debrusk will give the leafs all sorts of fits and I dont think torontos depth is good enough to deal with 3 lines here

then put kuhlman with wagner/Nordstrom... a small offense upgrade for the 4th line... its not as though accari/Nordstrom have been tipping the needle anyhow

the other option of course is to just tell the team to play its game... stop playing the Toronto game. we are the better team except when we stop playing our game and let them get in our heads.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Substituting Krejci for Bergeron doesn’t do much to address the top heavy nature of the B’s lineup. It’s just creating another #1 line with different personnel.

Radical would be injecting some energy into the lineup with Studnicka, but not sure that will happen.

I would try:

63-37-43
74-46-83/Stud
90-13-88
14-55-42

I’m not suggesting that Studnicka is a savior, I just think the youthful energy and excitement might be a shot in the arm.

Right now the 1st line is trying to do too much individually. That’s not Heinen’s game, he will move the puck around. Coyle has probably been the best F so far, give him Pasta and make Babcock choose which line he defends.

I also think Kuraly in the lineup would be a huge improvement, particularly when the B’s are on the road. When they are going, that 52-55-14 line can play against anyone.

Last edited:

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Substituting Krejci for Bergeron doesn’t do much to address the top heavy nature of the B’s lineup. It’s just creating another #1 line with different personnel.

Radical would be injecting some energy into the lineup with Studnicka, but not sure that will happen.

I would try:

63-37-43
74-46-83/Stud
90-13-88
14-55-42

I’m not suggesting that Studnicka is a savior, I just think the youthful energy and excitement might be a shot in the arm.

Right now the 1st line is trying to do too much individually. That’s not Heinen’s game, he will move the puck around. Coyle has probably been the best F so far, give him Pasta and make him choose which line he defends.

I also think Kuraly in the lineup would be a huge improvement, particularly when the B’s are on the road. When they are going, that 52-55-14 line can play against anyone.

I agree with the logic. It makes tons of sense. But they aren’t playing Studnicka. That’s way out of the box. But the Avalanche played their young pick so nothing would surprise me. Other posters know more about him and have seen him play more .But I doubt now is the time for it.

Reactions: Estlin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Hopeful...

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
Debrusk Krejci Pasta
Mojo Coyle Kuhlman
Nordstrom Kurlaly Wagner

Chara McAvoy
Krug Grz Carlo
Grz Moore

Although Heinen and Coyle look fantastic together - but it might be time to break up that first line.

Reactions: Yeti34

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
From a Visiting NHL fan's perspective. Series is still very much for the Bruins to take. Also got to get more traffic to Andersen. He is the key for the Leefs right now. Playing incredible, but can he sustain it?

Game is about adjustments. Cassidy needs more from Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta. Especially the latter. He has to make adjustments. He's being out coached. I would split up the #1 line. Win it with the 3rd and 4th lines by creating a miss match. Coyle should eat up Nylander. He has been the B's best fwd this series. Adding Pasta to his line would be a miss match.

1. Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
2. Kuhlman-Krejci-Debrusk
3. Johansson-Coyle-Pasta
4. Wagner-Acciari-Kuraly

McAvoy-Chara
Carlo-Krug
Moore-Grzelcyk

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
From a Visiting NHL fan's perspective. Series is still very much for the Bruins to take. Also got to get more traffic to Andersen. He is the key for the Leefs right now. Playing incredible, but can he sustain it?

Game is about adjustments. Cassidy needs more from Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta. Especially the latter. He has to make adjustments. He's being out coached. I would split up the #1 line. Win it with the 3rd and 4th lines by creating a miss match. Coyle should eat up Nylander. He has been the B's best fwd this series. Adding Pasta to his line would be a miss match.

1. Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
2. Kuhlman-Krejci-Debrusk
3. Johansson-Coyle-Pasta
4. Wagner-Acciari-Kuraly

McAvoy-Chara
Carlo-Krug
Moore-Grzelcyk
I was thinking of something similar, though I hate the fact they’re playing Kuhlman at all.

I’d let Kuraly play centre. Put Backes on his wing and sub out Acciari who has been a complete non factor even by his standards

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
DeB/KRE/PAS
HEI/COY/BAC
MAR/BER/KUH
NOR/KUR(ACC)/WAG
GRZ/CAR
CHA/McA
KRU/MOO(KAM)
RAS(HAL)

The problem (besides deciphering the abbreviations) is that you don’t want to introduce an unknown at this point if you can help it (which is why we won’t see Studnicka).

The B’s know Heinen will work with 63 and 37, but they have no idea what Kuhlman will do with them. Game 4 of a playoff series is not the time to be experimenting. Also, you want someone on that line that is going to facilitate puck movement. Kuhlman seems like he’s more of a “score off the rush” kind of player.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
just play the lines in set pairs and rotate the right winger.
bergy, marchand
krejci, debrusk,
coyle, johannson,
accari, wagner, kuraly
rotate the right winger slot from shift to shift. start with pasta, then, go with Heinen, throw in Johansson, once in a while. All the leafs want is for Tavares to
play against Bergeron and muzzin against pastranak. that is the main goal. They want morgan reilly to be on the ice with auston Mathews. Cassidy needs to
figure that out. The main goal is to have pasta move away from muzzin or pasta will keep on struggling.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The problem (besides deciphering the abbreviations) is that you don’t want to introduce an unknown at this point if you can help it (which is why we won’t see Studnicka).

The B’s know Heinen will work with 63 and 37, but they have no idea what Kuhlman will do with them. Game 4 of a playoff series is not the time to be experimenting. Also, you want someone on that line that is going to facilitate puck movement. Kuhlman seems like he’s more of a “score off the rush” kind of player.
The most important thing is to break up the first line. Bruce should have realized this BEFORE the playoffs started.

Marchand Bergy XX

Pasta Krecji XX

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
The problem (besides deciphering the abbreviations) is that....they have no idea what Kuhlman will do with them. Game 4 of a playoff series is not the time to be experimenting....
it's more burying the guys who seem to be terribly sick. and spin the rights around as needed and suggested. I can't say that any untested winger for the normally-top line worries me at all. the abbreviations are the first letters of their names, which seems much kinder to casual fans than jersey number quizzes.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Different plan

Debrusk Bergeron Heinen
Marchand Krejci Pasta
Kuhlman Coyle Studnicka
Wagner Acciari Backes (Kuraly)

Grz McAvoy
Clifton Carlo
Krug Chara

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It's frustrating to see virtually the reversal of what we have seen for much of this year from this team.

The second and third lines are finally contributing and playing quite well and now it's the first line that isn't showing up to the dance.

Reactions: Tmac37

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
It's frustrating to see virtually the reversal of what we have seen for much of this year from this team.

The second and third lines are finally contributing and playing quite well and now it's the first line that isn't showing up to the dance.

That's why I think Bruce may not make changes, they are bound to break out and the other lines have been good.

Reactions: JCRO

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Until Kuraly returns and assuming that Moore and Johansson are good to go for game 4:

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Debrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman
Johansson-Coyle-Pastrnak
Nordstrom-Wagner-Backes
Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Grzelcyk

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
it's more burying the guys who seem to be terribly sick. and spin the rights around as needed and suggested. I can't say that any untested winger for the normally-top line worries me at all. the abbreviations are the first letters of their names, which seems much kinder to casual fans than jersey number quizzes.

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to say?

Terribly sick?

All you did was swap Pasta and Kuhlman and then make the 63-37-83 line the third line and Krejci’s line the 1st.

If this was the regular season, I would not mind trying an untested winger. Given that the B’s are training 2-1 in a best of 7, call me crazy, but that is a concern. Which is why I would prefer Heinen in that spot.

As far as the numbers vs the last names, is there really any casual fans perusing this thread that don’t know the player’s numbers at this point in the season? :laugh:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Until Kuraly returns and assuming that Moore and Johansson are good to go for game 4:

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Debrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman
Johansson-Coyle-Pastrnak
Nordstrom-Wagner-Backes
Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Grzelcyk

This.

I mentioned a similar lineup to this a few games back. I think that 3rd line will run all over Nylander’s line.

While also getting Pasta going hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad