Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I despise even the notion of splitting up Pastrnak and Marchand.

I'm not sure what Cassidy is going for here. Whether it's Bergeron, or Krejci, or even Riley Nash, it's the two wingers (maybe the best pair of wingers in the NHL) and their chemistry that really drive their line.

Really not surprising, Marchand is in or maybe just a little past his prime, Pastrnak is in or just about to enter his.

I know Marchand and Bergeron have been attached at the hip for years, but everything eventually comes to an end. There is no rule that states these two HAVE to play together.

I also don't like Heinen with 63/37. I thought he looked much better as the "veteran" on a line with JFK and Donato. Seemed like he embraced and accepted the responsibility of being the most experienced player on his line. It shows confidence from the coaching staff in Heinen. He's been more assertive and is shooting more. I find when he's with older more experienced players he defers to them far too much when the right play is creating offensive chances himself, not just getting the puck and giving it to the older line-mate.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

I'm not sure what Cassidy is going for here. Whether it's Bergeron, or Krejci, or even Riley Nash, it's the two wingers (maybe the best pair of wingers in the NHL) and their chemistry that really drive their line.

Really not surprising, Marchand is in or maybe just a little past his prime, Pastrnak is in or just about to enter his.

I know Marchand and Bergeron have been attached at the hip for years, but everything eventually comes to an end. There is no rule that states these two HAVE to play together.

I also don't like Heinen with 63/37. I thought he looked much better as the "veteran" on a line with JFK and Donato. Seemed like he embraced and accepted the responsibility of being the most experienced player on his line. It shows confidence from the coaching staff in Heinen. He's been more assertive and is shooting more. I find when he's with older more experienced players he defers to them far too much when the right play is creating offensive chances himself, not just getting the puck and giving it to the older line-mate.
I said in previous post that Riley Nash was missed, some reminded me how he was going in Columbus! I disagree with that analysis because when Nash played last year in boston he did have a great year.

That said, both Pastrnak and Marchand without Bergeron and/or Krejci were really dynamite .... with Cave... Reading your post, put Cave, Kuraly and they should have success, cause Pastrnak and Marchand drives their line. No need for PB and/DK with them.

In my pov I am not sure where you are going with your post.

Reactions: FanSince72

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
my theory about winning games at playoff times comes down to winning each matchup/winning each battle

I do think you can purpose the expectations from a player... fit the right puzzle pieces together. not everyone needs to be cookie cutter identicle

when I look at who would be the starting 18 players come playoff time... im pretty happy 16-17 of them can either break even in matchups or would give us an advantage

pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand
X/krecji/debrusk
backes/kuraly/Nordstrom
(pickem Heinen/Bjork/karlsson/cave/donato maybe federic/senyshyn)
{wagner and accari are ok to keep around for depth but not in my plans to start any games}

defense is better filled than forward is... even though forward is pretty close to being filled
McAvoy/gryzlyck
carlo/chara
moore/krug
miller

and goaltending is going to have good options so we are very close to what id be happy with

this talk about signing Berglund... YES... if hes coming in on a one year prove it contract... he kicks kuraly to wing... lets Nordstrom add a vetern presence to the kids on the 4th line... hopefully has some pop to help backes/kuraly become a 3rd line scoring threat. IF the contract is minimum salary then theres almost no downside to gamble

and that's how I feel about rick nash too. potential impact winger but even if all we get is last years guy, that wasn't so bad. makes the second line solid enough we can roll it and expect the guys to balance out.

both rick nash and Patrick Berglund are going to be available without having to sacrifice picks or prospects. small upgrades might be enough to elevate us to legit cup contender. get on this asap and if worst comes to worst and we need another move give us time to figure it out.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

I agree with all of this, and furthermore I feel like we've already tried the Pasta and Krecji shuffle a few different times and it wasn't effective with any LW. Now Marchand is there and Krecji is playing great hockey, why mess with it. Let Bergeron get his legs back and give him a chance to get another line going. He can still PK with Marchand

Reactions: BruinDust

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I kinda like what they are trying. We cannot be a one line team, spread it out. Krech and Pasta have something going on. We need an engaged Krech and he has not been like this in years. Marshy and Bergy are always in tune. Heinen has his confidence back after leading the 3rd line as the vet. Nordy with Krech will create a lot of turnovers with his speed and tenacity like he has done all year. Someone needs to do the dirty work for those two. Or we could just shiite on everything as usual.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Whether it's Bergeron, or Krejci, or even Riley Nash, it's the two wingers (maybe the best pair of wingers in the NHL) and their chemistry that really drive their line.

This is sooo true. Can’t stress it enough.
At the same time, the reason I’m okay with splitting them is that they can always be together on the PP and that’s where they’ll do most of the damage.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I agree with 63 and 88 together. And that Heinen on the kid line looks good. Just shuffling chairs until they add another winger.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I kinda like what they are trying. We cannot be a one line team, spread it out. Krech and Pasta have something going on. We need an engaged Krech and he has not been like this in years. Marshy and Bergy are always in tune. Heinen has his confidence back after leading the 3rd line as the vet. Nordy with Krech will create a lot of turnovers with his speed and tenacity like he has done all year. Someone needs to do the dirty work for those two. Or we could just shiite on everything as usual.

hopefully.... but not optimistic

relationship between Krejci and Pasta since the plan was to play them together early in Pasta career has been lukewarm. Like missing that third brother or friend to tie it together (Marchand)

This potential 2nd line, needs another creative/skilled player.... something the Bruins seem to be lacking as the years progress

Its too bad Cassidy doesn't really like Cehlarik, because I could see him fit ... at least temporarily and better than a sandpaper player like Nordstrom

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Kuraly Acciari Wagner officially have the worst puck luck in the league? How many chances, tip in chances did they have tonight alone?

Playing extremely hard these days and excellent cycling game. Just wish it would get rewarded

Reactions: Tbrady12

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'd sell the farm for Tarasenko or Stone right now. I'd move literally anyone on the team but the top line and McAvoy to make that happen. Krejci has shown how good he can still be with star wingers. It's frustrating that a guy who has career high of 10 goals is the best wing option for him and it demands breaking up Pastrnak, Bergeron and Marchand.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
hopefully.... but not optimistic

relationship between Krejci and Pasta since the plan was to play them together early in Pasta career has been lukewarm. Like missing that third brother or friend to tie it together (Marchand)

This potential 2nd line, needs another creative/skilled player.... something the Bruins seem to be lacking as the years progress

Its too bad Cassidy doesn't really like Cehlarik, because I could see him fit ... at least temporarily and better than a sandpaper player like Nordstrom

Ugh. I'm so f***ing sick of hearing this guy's name brought up like he's ever done a f***ing thing in this league. He's not the guy. He's been surpassed by a slew of other prospects. He's done nothing to even warrant being mentioned as a realistic call up.

The reason why the DK and Pasta line doesn't work is because Marchand is the straw that stirs the drink. The offense flows from him out. It's not surprising in the least that Bergeron comes back and scores twice after missing the last 16 games while playing with him and that Pasta scored his goal when playing with Bergeron and Marchand. Putting Cehlarik up on a line with DK and Pasta will do nothing to change that.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ugh. I'm so ****ing sick of hearing this guy's name brought up like he's ever done a ****ing thing in this league. He's not the guy. He's been surpassed by a slew of other prospects. He's done nothing to even warrant being mentioned as a realistic call up.

The reason why the DK and Pasta line doesn't work is because Marchand is the straw that stirs the drink. The offense flows from him out. It's not surprising in the least that Bergeron comes back and scores twice after missing the last 16 games while playing with him and that Pasta scored his goal when playing with Bergeron and Marchand. Putting Cehlarik up on a line with DK and Pasta will do nothing to change that.

Well this is how desperate it is. Nordstrom is a 4th line checker that lacks any kind of creativity

We will just have to wait until Sweeney pulls the trigger on the trade deadline

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Still not clear as to what Cassidy was trying to say IF Debrusk returns

does this mean that Pasta will go back to the 1st line?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well this is how desperate it is. Nordstrom is a 4th line checker that lacks any kind of creativity

We will just have to wait until Sweeney pulls the trigger on the trade deadline

I agree that it's ridiculous that Nordstrom is playing anything above a bottom six role, but that's on Cassidy. I hate it as well, tbh. I assume that will change once JDB is back though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Ugh. I'm so ****ing sick of hearing this guy's name brought up like he's ever done a ****ing thing in this league. He's not the guy. He's been surpassed by a slew of other prospects. He's done nothing to even warrant being mentioned as a realistic call up.

agreed whoever plays with marchand scores... whoever doesn't slumps

even during his early season struggles hes still the straw

id probably lean towards keeping him with pastrnak our best shooter... and I don't really care who plays with the 2 of them

and that means... id probably lean towards putting Bergeron and krecji together. it might make little sense on the surface but krecji isn't a killer in the faceoff dot. we don't need him for his defense. hes a good playmaker who plays slow... Bergeron is a good shooter who plays slow. I bet Heinen would fit in ok with these 2 guys

can debrusk play center with marchand/pastrnak? would that line be so dangerous offensively they could get by without a traditional center?

Reactions: LSCII

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
So what do you know... team cant score

Cassidy promotes Pasta

What he should have done is put back Marchand Krejci Pasta

I kind of feel bad for Krejci

Reactions: Five Hole

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
I believe the best way to balance the lines is to place as many players as possible in positions where they can succeed. I would like to see them try something like this.

Marchand - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Bergeron - Heinen
Donato – JFK (Cave) - Backes
Wagner - Kuraly - Nordstrom
Acciari

For me, the best way to get the most out of David Krejci is to play him with Marchand and Pastrnak. All three play 200 foot games and Krejci’s offensive vision fits well with the dynamic duo, the trio would continue to shine.

At the same time the 4-time Selke winner is much better suited to help some of the younger wingers grow. Bergeron’s elite defensive game will help cover for growing pains while his always effective offensive game will help them develop offensively. Both DeBrusk and Heinen have shown good 2-way instincts and would likely flourish alongside the best defensive forward in the game.

The one thing we can all agree on is that Ryan Donato is lacking NHL caliber strength and that’s why I like David Backes on his line. I would like to see them try JFK at center here because I think it would elevate Ryan’s offensive game significantly. The hope would be that Backes’s veteran weight would help open space for these younger offensive minded players and his experience would help them find ways to adjust to the NHL game. (**Bonus here is that Backes will be forced to keep his feet moving to keep up and that is when his game is at its best.)

The fourth line has been pretty good but I think it is greatly improved just by removing Acciari (sorry couldn’t resist). Seriously though, Nordstrom’s speed and talent work well here and significantly upgrade the line.

For now, I keep Acciari as the extra. If JFK works then I would keep Cave as the extra and send Acciari down (even as I type this I know it will NEVER happen, clearly Acciari is a pet of both coach and GM). If JFK does not work out I send him to Providence and give Cave his spot, Acciari stays as the extra.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I believe the best way to balance the lines is to place as many players as possible in positions where they can succeed. I would like to see them try something like this.

Marchand - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Bergeron - Heinen
Donato – JFK (Cave) - Backes
Wagner - Kuraly - Nordstrom

Acciari

For me, the best way to get the most out of David Krejci is to play him with Marchand and Pastrnak. All three play 200 foot games and Krejci’s offensive vision fits well with the dynamic duo, the trio would continue to shine.

At the same time the 4-time Selke winner is much better suited to help some of the younger wingers grow. Bergeron’s elite defensive game will help cover for growing pains while his always effective offensive game will help them develop offensively. Both DeBrusk and Heinen have shown good 2-way instincts and would likely flourish alongside the best defensive forward in the game.

The one thing we can all agree on is that Ryan Donato is lacking NHL caliber strength and that’s why I like David Backes on his line. I would like to see them try JFK at center here because I think it would elevate Ryan’s offensive game significantly. The hope would be that Backes’s veteran weight would help open space for these younger offensive minded players and his experience would help them find ways to adjust to the NHL game. (**Bonus here is that Backes will be forced to keep his feet moving to keep up and that is when his game is at its best.)

The fourth line has been pretty good but I think it is greatly improved just by removing Acciari (sorry couldn’t resist). Seriously though, Nordstrom’s speed and talent work well here and significantly upgrade the line.

For now, I keep Acciari as the extra. If JFK works then I would keep Cave as the extra and send Acciari down (even as I type this I know it will NEVER happen, clearly Acciari is a pet of both coach and GM). If JFK does not work out I send him to Providence and give Cave his spot, Acciari stays as the extra.

I like this proposal .... Cassidy should have tried this

Marchand Krejci Pasta is a special line

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
It seems foolish to me to continue to ask David Krejci to carry kids and third liners when he is clearly capable of giving you so much more with better wingers. Foolish.
this is what's killing me. this has been debated for years and we finally saw Krejci get to fill the Bergeron spot and he was outstanding for like a month. It's no longer just speculation or a hypothetical. We have proof that the thing holding Krejci back is lack of talent on his wings. Many of us have been saying they needed a 2nd line wing since before the season. It's infuriating that Sweeney has done nothing to fill that spot, but was able to throw away over $2 million on guys like Wagner & Nordstrom. I like both of those players, but their cap hits + the 4+ million in free cap space gets you a 2nd line winger.

Bergy comes back and Krejci goes back to playing with grinders. Heinen is capable of more, but for whatever reason he is just not getting the job done offensively right now. Nordstrom is a good utility guy but should never sniff the top 6. The kids aren't ready yet, and that in and of itself is frustrating but here's the thing. At least guys like Donato & Bjork have the chance to "click" and produce with a guy like Krejci. Nordstrom tries, but his offensive ceiling is low.

I just wish Butch would have left Marchand/Krejci/Pasta together because at least a Nordstrom/Bergeron/Heinen line would be a good shutdown line and probably produce like a "line 2.5".

And JFK being scratched with Acciari in the lineup is a f***ing travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad