2018-2019 Laval Rocket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I expect us to return to Brampton for another season now.

I do, too. Not because of Beauregard signing. But last year, they announced the renewal of the affiliation in September.

I would much rather they announce it now so I can feel better (not that I'm losing sleep over it, but I look at these things). But I'm not worried yet.

The only thing that has me a bit worried is that Sens used Brampton more than Habs did.

But with all the players Habs have for Laval, they have no choice but to have an ECHL affiliation. Or else the press box in Laval will have as many players and the team on the ice.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Which new prospects are expected to join the Rocket next year?

Which will have to leave due to the loss of waiver eligibility?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Which new prospects are expected to join the Rocket next year?

Which will have to leave due to the loss of waiver eligibility?

Bitten, Evans, Vejdemo, Pezzetta, plus Fleury should be there since I don't see them sending him back to the dub as an overager.

Plus the undrafted group of Alain, Verbeek, Sklenicka, Moravcik (though they both have out clauses)

Players that need to clear waivers that played in the AHL last year,

McCarron, Scherbak, Rychel, Lernout, Valiev, Froese

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bitten, Evans, Vejdemo, Pezzetta, plus Fleury should be there since I don't see them sending him back to the dub as an overager.

Plus the undrafted group of Alain, Verbeek, Sklenicka, Moravcik (though they both have out clauses)

Players that need to clear waivers that played in the AHL last year,

McCarron, Scherbak, Rychel, Lernout, Valiev, Froese

f*** there's likely no way that the big club will have roster room for all six of them.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
**** there's likely no way that the big club will have roster room for all six of them.

Seems like it, I wouldn't be surprised if Froese and McCarron are gone....Scherbak I think will be in a Habs uniform all year but Lernout, Valiev and Rychel im not sure.

Reactions: DAChampion

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
**** there's likely no way that the big club will have roster room for all six of them.

-Scherbak WILL be in MTL this season. They won't take the chance to retun him to the AHL.
-Froese Lernout and Rychel could be picked be another team that I wouldn't care.
-I really like Valiev and I hope that they are going to give him a solid chance in the pre-season. I would hate to lose him because of Benn or Schlemko contract.....
-McCarron I dunno... I don't know what to think anymore, I'm not sure if he's ever gonna be an NHL'er.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm sure trades will be made at some point, the main concern is not losing Scherbak to waivers but I would not be shocked if he was traded at some point.

That said we'll have to see how much time Byron, Shaw and Weber miss plus if anyone else gets injured.

Reactions: DAChampion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Michael Ryder’s ECHL detour is a forgotten success story for the Canadiens Pretty good article on importance of having a good ECHL team and sending players there if they're not getting ice time.

Zadarnowski is following ECHL affiliations very closely. And like most of us, he believes a strong affiliation with an ECHL team is essential for the depth of an organization.

If Montreal doesn't renew with Brampton (seeing as they're the only available Canadian ECHL team) or affiliate themselves with the new team, it would make it very difficult with all of their AHL/ECHL contracts, as well as a bunch of their prospects jumping into pro, as well as some of the players they have under contracts that will only be able to play in Laval like Taormina and Grenier. Or else, Habs will have the difficult task of splitting all of these guys around different teams.

But I'm not too worried. Last year, they announced the renewal with Brampton in September. And Zadarnowski interviewed the president of Brampton after their season ended. He admitted it was frustrating not having any players from Montreal aside for a few short stints (Fucale and McNiven). But they will give Montreal the priority to renew the affiliation before they look to other teams (who have contacted Brampton already).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I remember when we had our ECHL affiliate in Long Beach CA, I'm not worried about who they affiliate with I trust Bouchard won't let the prospects sit for too long unlike Lefebvre who would let guys like McNiven, Bourque, Bennett, Thrower, sit for far too long in between games.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I was thinking about this, do you guys think it would be wise to have more than one ECHL affiliate? There's no limit for the Number of AHL/ECHL contracts a team can sign, so maybe it would be a nice market inefficiency to exploit. The Leafs did very well to outspend other teams in the AHL and it would be interesting to see if that could go even further down to the ECHL. I'm a believer in throwing as many darts as you can to get better odds of hitting bullseye.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was thinking about this, do you guys think it would be wise to have more than one ECHL affiliate? There's no limit for the Number of AHL/ECHL contracts a team can sign, so maybe it would be a nice market inefficiency to exploit. The Leafs did very well to outspend other teams in the AHL and it would be interesting to see if that could go even further down to the ECHL. I'm a believer in throwing as many darts as you can to get better odds of hitting bullseye.

Problem is they would be signed to AHL deal, so any team could steal them with a NHL contract if they do developp into something. Plus, it's hard enough to find enough good player for 1 ECHL team, finding enough fringe prospects for a 2nd one would not be worth it imo. The NHL would need to expand their contract limit or allow to retain rights (meaning they would count on the 90 player rights limit and not the 50 contract limit) with AHL contract.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Problem is they would be signed to AHL deal, so any team could steal them with a NHL contract if they do developp into something. Plus, it's hard enough to find enough good player for 1 ECHL team, finding enough fringe prospects for a 2nd one would not be worth it imo. The NHL would need to expand their contract limit or allow to retain rights (meaning they would count on the 90 player rights limit and not the 50 contract limit) with AHL contract.

I'm fine with the fact that other teams can poach players signed to minor deals. Unlike you, I think it's not that hard to find players to fill those teams, case in point, this summer window for the Rocket/Bouchard. It all depends on the willingness of management really.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm fine with the fact that other teams can poach players signed to minor deals. Unlike you, I think it's not that hard to find players to fill those teams, case in point, this summer window for the Rocket/Bouchard. It all depends on the willingness of management really.

It's easy to fill them, but it's harder to fill them with good players. We'd need to find at least 10-20 more guys that have some kind of potential to fill 2 ECHL teams. We can get a bunch of Yannick Veilleux/Matt Petgrave, but there is nothing for us there if we just fill to fill.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It's easy to fill them, but it's harder to fill them with good players. We'd need to find at least 10-20 more guys that have some kind of potential to fill 2 ECHL teams. We can get a bunch of Yannick Veilleux/Matt Petgrave, but there is nothing for us there if we just fill to fill.

Yeah, looking back at the Summer signatures, most of them were for Laval, not many got AHL/ECHL two-way deals (off the top of my head, Adams-Moisan, Culkin?, Marcoux). I thought there were more of them. There's plenty of space in one ECHL for the team to gamble a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad