2018-2019 Laval Rocket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't give a **** as long as the players develop. Which wasn't happening under Sly.

Pretty much how I see it.

Not to mention it's basically a complete overhaul of the roster, including the coaching staff.

Only Audette, McCarron, Lernout, Lindgren , McNiven, and now Scherbak have Lefebvre deprogramming to be done. And Scherbak is going back to Montreal.

They have a coach who is also learning the pro game. A bunch of rookies starting their pro careers (or at least North American pro careers) as well as a bunch of vets who have been playing elsewhere for many years.

It's a lot of new elements to the team at the same time.

You can already see the change in approach and culture. Despite the score or the record, Laval's been the better team every game. Very few times do they get outplayed and that is usually for a stretch of a game or a period at most. But never the entire game. That is what is the difference this year over the last little while.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Honestly, they have what, maybe 5 or 6 guys down there that you could consider prospects. Most of our key guys are in college or Europe. The 2 goalies, Fleury , Sherbak, Evans and maybe Vejdemo.

Reactions: DAChampion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Honestly, they have what, maybe 5 or 6 guys down there that you could consider prospects. Most of our key guys are in college or Europe. The 2 goalies, Fleury , Sherbak, Evans and maybe Vejdemo.

Yup.

We know Brook will be there next year. Chances are Poehling will too. We also don't know if any of the prospects in Europe will make the jump.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
For the record, I never liked Sly, back to the first interview I saw of him, he didn't sound like a serious guy. I wanted him gone bad, I love Bouchard and I'm extremely happy we got him.

The start of the season is worrysome, as Lebeau pointed out after his stint with the Bulldogs, winning is what developpe players.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They could have won all games and they were never outclassed. That being said there is legit concern for the special teams. They need to improve that part and limit quality chances.
I have no worry they will figure it out but it's almost unseen to see a team dominate everygame by a landslide on shots but still pilling up the losses.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
They could have won all games and they were never outclassed. That being said there is legit concern for the special teams. They need to improve that part and limit quality chances.
I have no worry they will figure it out but it's almost unseen to see a team dominate everygame by a landslide on shots but still pilling up the losses.
Carolina under Peters comes to mind

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The special teams they really need to improve on is the PP. Their PK is 2nd best in the league. So they have that down. Their PP however is 2nd worst. Even if they start having moderate success with the man advantage, it will go a long way in them winning games or at the very least, still get a point in a loss.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Translation of Bouchard's PC today for the non-French speaking folks:

- When asked what he plans to work on with Scherbak, he said his defensive game. He said he's not horrible, but he wants to help him with his one-on-one battles, his approach to the puck carrier, and to stay engaged in the play because good defending leads to more offence. Because when it comes to his offensive game, he has a flare and has natural abilities. So where he needs to put in some extra work is on the defensive game. His goal is to get him ready for when he goes back up, Julien will trust him when he puts him on the ice.

- Talking about his team's performance, he mentions that Laval is Top-5 in scoring chances for and allow the least scoring chances against. He talks about his players invested and buying into what the staff is telling them. He says the players are fed up with losing, and so is he. But he can't justify being upset with them because they're doing everything they're asking of them. He's very proud of his group. Their record really doesn't tell the story because in every single game this year, not once could he say that the other team was the better team that night.

- He mentions that the process the organization is in, it's like they're starting over and without criticizing the previous staff, they're doing things differently now. And he really likes the direction everything is going in, despite their disappointing record.

- He says that at some point throughout this process, they will start winning more games. He also said that there will be nights they win and he won't be happy because they would take dumb penalties and make bad decisions with and without the puck. But right now, even if they're losing, he is proud of the boys.

- He really likes what the young guys are showing. He named Evans, Vejdemo, Alain, and Fleury, as well as Sklenicka and Moravcik improving. Even through their ups and downs, he's encouraged by them. He really appreciates how the veterans are open to getting better and doing what they need to do to help the team. He also says that the players' personal stats do not truly tell the story with how they're playing.

- He says he likes that they're facing adversity this early because they're starting this new organizational program, which is to develop these players and get them ready for whenever they get the call up to Montreal, they're ready to go.

- To further paint the picture of how his players are in this together, he spoke about his time in the AHL. Back then, it was individualistic. Everyone was thinking of themselves because they were battling to make the NHL team. He said that if last night was in his era, they would have lost 5-2, they'd have a bunch of slashing penalties, the guys would be yelling at each other, and the next day the coach would have to address the team. But last night, in the third, despite being down 2-0, the players were encouraging each other and didn't take any dumb penalties and were able to outshoot the opponents 18-0 in the third period.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Actually it's the worst start of a season in 20 years. So bad, that even if they pick it up, they might not make the playoffs.

Even if people say they are playing good, there are signs that we shouldn't ignore, 7pts in 10 games is atrocious.

They are playing very good other then bad passing, a major lack of converting their chances, some defensive breakdowns and the goalies have been good to really good but Laval doesn't give up many shots so it's that one goal where you wish they had saved it cause when you team is only scoring 2.4 goals per game you know you can't give up more then one or two. I know that sounds familiar and clearly Lindgren isn't Price but overall I'm not worried at all.

They are currently 2 pts out of the playoffs, but the marlies have a game in hand. I think they will make the playoffs if they stay healthy and don't lose much to call ups. My main concern is the lack of puck movers and offensive abilities of the defense.

As for the offense, I assume it's going to pick it up, as I'm not sure why they can't bury their chances. I know we lost Terry who might have been the best player in the AHL, but 2 years ago Froese was one of the top snipers in the AHL along with Terry and Hudon. Agostino is certainly a very good replacement for Terry. Chaput, Grenier are solid vets with Belzile impressing (though he needs to start potting a few).

I've been disappointed in Shinkaruk, Jevpalovs, Audette, Alain (for the quality ice he gets he needs to produce more). Vejdemo has been ok, he's got the skating, speed, works hard but hasn't produced much in the way of chances.

With Bouchard my only complaints are mostly that I don't like to see Fleury sit at all, especially for the likes of Lamarche or Sproul. And I think he needs to do a little better job with the lines. I know Alain and Jevpalovs played for him but they just aren't that effective imo. Jevpalovs at least has good wheels and seems decent on the PK.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Kind of unfortunate. I know he was a late round pick but I thought he was going to be a good ahler.

This is great news, we are close to the 50 contract limit, we will gain one more once his contract is terminated.

I am guessing he wants to go to college.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
This is great news, we are close to the 50 contract limit, we will gain one more once his contract is terminated.

I am guessing he wants to go to college.
No I understand the move completely. It makes sense. Wonder if we're clearing room for something

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
No I understand the move completely. It makes sense. Wonder if we're clearing room for something
At this point of the year, it has to be mutual so the Habs aren't doing anything other than letting him move on with his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad