2018-2019 Laval Rocket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Very good read by Andrew Zadarnowski about how Habs need to follow the Leafs' blueprint of using the ECHL to their advantage of a three-tier development system.

We know Leafs have directly affiliated themselves with the expansion St. John's Growlers. They even hired their own coach for that team (Ryan Clowe). ECHL is usually independently run teams that enter partnerships with NHL teams to send a few of their prospects there. But it's not as direct as AHL affiliations, which are teams directly run by the NHL organization.

Zadarnowski mentions a rumor that Habs may do what the Leafs are doing with the Growlers, but with a team in Trois-Rivières. They're building a new arena that will be ready in 2020-21 and he says that Molson is keeping an eye on that project.

Right now, all signs point to their affiliation with Brampton is over. A few ECHL teams are without NHL/AHL affiliations. What would be ideal is if Habs do what they did while they were waiting for Place Bell to finish completion. As they did with the IceCaps, they can partner up with an ECHL team for two years while waiting for Trois-Rivières to complete the arena and get a fresh start with them.

Call ups will be so much more easy as Trois-Rivières is under 2 hours away by car. And as Habs seem to be making an effort to bring in local talent/former QMJHL players, they can send some to Trois-Rivières and fans will have a team they can identify with.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Is there an AHL package available in the states? Thinking about getting it. Thanks!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Do they have packages for single teams yet or do you have to pay 3-400 dollars for a potato quality stream/pay 10 bucks for 1 game ?

They have PPV. So you can order one game at a time. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's $7.99 CAD per game. That way, you can pick and choose which games you want to watch. There are also the team specific packages. So you pay one fee and you automatically have every game from that team. That package is about $150.

The $300-$400 package is the one you order to have every single AHL game during the season from every team.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They have PPV. So you can order one game at a time. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's $7.99 CAD per game. That way, you can pick and choose which games you want to watch. There are also the team specific packages. So you pay one fee and you automatically have every game from that team. That package is about $150.

The $300-$400 package is the one you order to have every single AHL game during the season from every team.

How's the quality of feed ?

I tried to get ahl games 5+ years ago and it was 10.99 for 1 game and there wasn't individual packages for teams. At least I don't remember seeing them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I tried to get ahl games 5+ years ago and it was 10.99 for 1 game and there wasn't individual packages for teams. At least I don't remember seeing them.

They're not the best quality. This is one of the issues I have with AHL. If you order games from Major Junior, you'll get better quality streams. I have a hard time understanding how the second-tier league in North America can't provide higher quality cameras for the streaming services.

I'm not saying it's 100% crap. You can still enjoy the games. But you're expecting a higher quality picture. You do get for most games the option to listen to either team's broadcast. With Laval, the option is always 91.9 Sports FM (French) as they're the only broadcasters that offer every single Laval game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it varies from team to team but on average it's not that good. It's a real shame that I watch KHL games for free that are high quality yet I pay 150 bucks US for an average feed.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Agostino(V) Froese(V) Rychel(Semi-V)
Evans Chaput(V) McCarron
Vejdemo Audette Belzile
Addison Bitten Alain
Extra: Grenier (because too many veterans), Jevpavlovs
ECHL: Waked, Verbeek, Pezzetta, Martineau, Adams-Moisan

(maybe Mete or Juulsen will be sent down too)
Ouellet(V) - Taormina(V)
Valiev - Fleury
Moravcik - Lernout
Extra: Sklenicka, Lamarche (V)
ECHL: Melancon, Culkin, Plant

Lindgren
McNiven
ECHL: Marcoux

Pretty good. Upgraded head coach too. Playoff team IMO.
Even though I live 2 km from the Bell Centre, I will most likely go watch more games in Laval than in Montréal this year.

It's not a crazy good lineup, but enough to make the playoff and I'll gladly watch Fleury, McNiven, Lindgren, Vejdemo, Bitten and Evans play. They are intriguing prospects. So are Addison and the Czech dman.

I think McCarron either start the year in Montréal or is lost to waivers/traded. I believe Valiev start the year in Montréal now with Weber out. So I'd ajust a few things from your lineup :

Kenny Agostino - Byron Froese - Kerby Rychel
Michael Chaput - Daniel Audette - Alexandre Grenier
Jeremiah Addison - Alex Belzile - Alexandre Alain
Lukas Vejdemo - Jack Evans - William Bitten

Xavier Ouellet - Matt Taormina
Michal Moravcik - Brett Lernout
David Sklenicka - Cal Fleury

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Even though I live 2 km from the Bell Centre, I will most likely go watch more games in Laval than in Montréal this year.

It's not a crazy good lineup, but enough to make the playoff and I'll gladly watch Fleury, McNiven, Lindgren, Vejdemo, Bitten and Evans play. They are intriguing prospects. So are Addison and the Czech dman.

I think McCarron either start the year in Montréal or is lost to waivers/traded. I believe Valiev start the year in Montréal now with Weber out. So I'd ajust a few things from your lineup :

Kenny Agostino - Byron Froese - Kerby Rychel
Michael Chaput - Daniel Audette - Alexandre Grenier
Jeremiah Addison - Alex Belzile - Alexandre Alain
Lukas Vejdemo - Jack Evans - William Bitten

Xavier Ouellet - Matt Taormina
Michal Moravcik - Brett Lernout
David Sklenicka - Cal Fleury

I disagree, with Weber hurt, that pretty much guarantees Lernout starts in the NHL (he's a RD like Weber). I also don't see Ouellet in the AHL, unless he's awful in training camp.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I really think that we need to start a winning culture in the AHL and make it a priority over anything going on with the big club. Load Laval up with our best prospects and buy some quality AHL talent aka vets.

Tell them from day one that their mission is to win the championship and do the best to keep the roster stable. Maybe I am being unrealistic but that is what I would do. I remember a time where our AHL teams were a f***ing terror on a constistant basis and the prospects were successful. Just my .02.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really think that we need to start a winning culture in the AHL and make it a priority over anything going on with the big club. Load Laval up with our best prospects and buy some quality AHL talent aka vets.

Tell them from day one that their mission is to win the championship and do the best to keep the roster stable. Maybe I am being unrealistic but that is what I would do. I remember a time where our AHL teams were a ****ing terror on a constistant basis and the prospects were successful. Just my .02.

You are realistic because it's exactly what they've done.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
You are realistic because it's exactly what they've done.
I’m talking about Mete and the rest of our rookies that are fighting for their lives in the NHL too. I hope they do it!

This is a lot to ask, but keep in mind that I am going to make a concerted effort to watch Laval next year. Hell, I might even buy a jersey and catch a game when they play Rochester.

Can someone break down the current roster in a stregnth/weakness/natural position(lol) format? I’ll buy you a beer if we meet! Thanks everyone and I really appreciate being able to post with experts in the field. Not kidding!

Last edited by a moderator:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Added a Maurice "Rocket" Richard framed Capt's picture to my collection wall of Habs Captains today.:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: Company for my Jean"Gros Bill" Beliveau, Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard, & Yvan "Roadrunner" Cournoyer, autographed Habs Captains shrine.:nod::nod::nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is a lot to ask, but keep in mind that I am going to make a concerted effort to watch Laval next year. Hell, I might even buy a jersey and catch a game when they play Rochester.

Can someone break down the current roster in a stregnth/weakness/natural position(lol) format? I’ll buy you a beer if we meet! Thanks everyone and I really appreciate being able to post with experts in the field. Not kidding!

it's tougher this time of year because we don't know what moves the Habs are making which then impacts who will be sent down or not. They have to make at least one trade as they have way too many wingers. Then there are the 2 Czech D's, they like Vejdemo have opt out clauses which means they can return to their Euro clubs. Vejdemo has said he will play in the AHL, haven't heard anything about the 2 Czech D's though.

Let's say Lernout, Ouellet, Peca, McCarron, make the Habs, Fleury is signed, and the 2 Czech's stick around.

Goaltending -
Lindgren
McNiven
Marcoux (AHL contract)

Defense -
Taormina
Valiev
Juulsen
Mete
Fleury
Moravcik
Sklenicka
Plant (AHL contract)
Melancon (AHL contract)
Culking (AHL contract)

Forwards -
Agostino
Chaput
Addison
Audette
Alain
Bitten
Evans
Froese
Pezzetta
Rychel
Vejdemo
Verbeek
Waked
Adam-Moisan (AHL contract)
Belzile (AHL contract)
Grenier (AHL contract)
Jevpalovs (AHL contract)
Lamarche (AHL contract)
Martineau (AHL contract)

So if that's the team, they will have plenty of depth at forward, the blueline should be better then last year which hopefully leads to much better goaltending.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I hope the Czechs stay and tear it up lmao! Could you imagine the interviews?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
it's tougher this time of year because we don't know what moves the Habs are making which then impacts who will be sent down or not. They have to make at least one trade as they have way too many wingers. Then there are the 2 Czech D's, they like Vejdemo have opt out clauses which means they can return to their Euro clubs. Vejdemo has said he will play in the AHL, haven't heard anything about the 2 Czech D's though.

Let's say Lernout, Ouellet, Peca, McCarron, make the Habs, Fleury is signed, and the 2 Czech's stick around.

Goaltending -
Lindgren
McNiven
Marcoux (AHL contract)

Defense -
Taormina
Valiev
Juulsen
Mete
Fleury
Moravcik
Sklenicka
Plant (AHL contract)
Melancon (AHL contract)
Culking (AHL contract)

Forwards -
Agostino
Chaput
Addison
Audette
Alain
Bitten
Evans
Froese
Pezzetta
Rychel
Vejdemo
Verbeek
Waked
Adam-Moisan (AHL contract)
Belzile (AHL contract)
Grenier (AHL contract)
Jevpalovs (AHL contract)
Lamarche (AHL contract)
Martineau (AHL contract)

So if that's the team, they will have plenty of depth at forward, the blueline should be better then last year which hopefully leads to much better goaltending.
I haven't seen as much of Lernout as you, but he hasn't impressed me at all. My admittedly incomplete impressions: Likeable kid, strong and solid, but a mess in his zone. I'm surprised you have him making the Habs over Mete -- what am I missing?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

LW
Kenny Agostino
Nikita Jevpalovs
Jeremiah Addison
Michael Pezzetta (LW/C)

LW may look shallow, but is is compensated by the number of center we have. Agostino was 2016-2017 AHL MVP and top point scorer. He's Chris Terry replacement. Jevpalovs is a fine bottom 6 winger. Addison missed most of last year to surgery, so we'll see how he bounces back. Both Addison and Pezzetta are AHL bottom 6 (4th liner most probably) as of now, so they will need a C to play on the left in the 2nd spot to have a good LW.

Strenght: Great first liner
Weakness: Missing a 2nd line guy and depth is unknown

NB: Rychel could be sent down, which would provide a 2nd LW if he clears waivers.

RW
Alexandre Grenier
Alex Belzile
William Bitten
Antoine Waked
Morgan Adam-Moisan

Grenier is a Laval boy and a big body for the first line. Belzile has slowly grown into a AHL middle 6 guy and may surprise people. Also a 2-time ECHL cup champion. Bitten is a hard working rookie looking to take the next step. He never exploded in the OHL, but his skill should allow him to play well on the third line without the pressure of top-6 responsabilities to start. Waked was meh last year, but as a 4th liner, he should be fine. Adam-Moisan is a favor from Bouchard to one of his old player who had no offensive impact in the Q until his overager year.

Strenght: Good depth and good size (all 6'0+)
Weakness: No all-star top line guy

C
Michael Chaput
Jake Evans
Daniel Audette
Lukas Vejdemo
Alexandre Alain
Hayden Verbeek
Phelix Martineau

Chaput should replace Cracknell pretty well. Evans was great in the NCAA and should also do well in the AHL. Audette has been developping into a fine middle 6 C. Vejdemo, Alain and Verbeek will fight it out for the last C spot or be moved to wings. Martineau is depth that was good in his short ECHL stint last year.

Strenght: Great depth
Weakness: None apparent
NB: I don't see McCarron going on or passing waivers.

LD
Matt Taormina
Rinat Valyev
Michal Moravcik
Ryan Culkin
David Sklenicka

Taormina is a great AHL D (D of the year in 2016-2017). Valyev is a solid top4D. Culkin is depth. Moravcik and Sklenicka are question marks, but Moravcik played well at development camp.

Strenght: Good depth if everybody stays. Good offensive and defensive capabilities
Weakness: The two Czechs could leave.

NB: Ouellet and/or Mete could be there.

RD
Brett Lernout
Maxim Lamarche
TJ Melancon
Adam Plant

Lernout as a top pair D may not be optimal. Lamarche should be fine as a 4th D. Melancon was great at the ECHL, but unproven at the AHL level. Plant seemed meh last year.

Strenght: Defensive capabilities
Weakness: Offensive potential unproven. Potential lack of depth

NB: Noah Juulsen could be sent down. Cale Fleury could sign and play this year.

G
Charlie Lindgren
Michael McNiven
Étienne Marcoux

Lindgren and McNiven struggle behind an horrible D last year, but both have a lot of potential. Marcoux was good in the ECHL last year.

Strenght: Strong group of goalies
Weakness: Fragile confidence due to last year? Lindgren might get called up if Niemi is waived/traded.

It gives something like that:
Kenny Agostino - Michael Chaput - Alexandre Grenier
Daniel Audette - Jake Evans - Alex Belzile
Nikita Jevpalovs - Lukas Vejdemo - William Bitten
Jeremiah Addison - Alexandre Alain - Antoine Waked
Michael Pezzetta, Hayden Verbeek
ECHL: Morgan Adam-Moisan, Phelix Martineau

If they gain Rychel:
Kerby Rychel- Jake Evans - Alex Belzile
Nikita Jevpalovs - Daniel Audette - William Bitten
Jeremiah Addison - Lukas Vejdemo - Alexandre Alain
Antoine Waked, Michael Pezzetta
ECHL: Morgan Adam-Moisan, Phelix Martineau, Hayden Verbeek

For the D
Taormina - Lernout
Valyev - Lamarche
Moravcik - Melancon
Plant, Sklenicka
ECHL: Culkin

If they get one of Mete/Ouellet/Juulsen
Mete/Ouellet - Taormina or Taormina - Juulsen
Valyev - Lernout
Moravcik - Lamarche
Melancon, Sklenicka
ECHL: Plant, Culkin

Reactions: Fenris and cphabs

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
LW
Kenny Agostino
Nikita Jevpalovs
Jeremiah Addison
Michael Pezzetta (LW/C)

LW may look shallow, but is is compensated by the number of center we have. Agostino was 2016-2017 AHL MVP and top point scorer. He's Chris Terry replacement. Jevpalovs is a fine bottom 6 winger. Addison missed most of last year to surgery, so we'll see how he bounces back. Both Addison and Pezzetta are AHL bottom 6 (4th liner most probably) as of now, so they will need a C to play on the left in the 2nd spot to have a good LW.

Strenght: Great first liner
Weakness: Missing a 2nd line guy and depth is unknown

NB: Rychel could be sent down, which would provide a 2nd LW if he clears waivers.

RW
Alexandre Grenier
Alex Belzile
William Bitten
Antoine Waked
Morgan Adam-Moisan

Grenier is a Laval boy and a big body for the first line. Belzile has slowly grown into a AHL middle 6 guy and may surprise people. Also a 2-time ECHL cup champion. Bitten is a hard working rookie looking to take the next step. He never exploded in the OHL, but his skill should allow him to play well on the third line without the pressure of top-6 responsabilities to start. Waked was meh last year, but as a 4th liner, he should be fine. Adam-Moisan is a favor from Bouchard to one of his old player who had no offensive impact in the Q until his overager year.

Strenght: Good depth and good size (all 6'0+)
Weakness: No all-star top line guy

C
Michael Chaput
Jake Evans
Daniel Audette
Lukas Vejdemo
Alexandre Alain
Hayden Verbeek
Phelix Martineau

Chaput should replace Cracknell pretty well. Evans was great in the NCAA and should also do well in the AHL. Audette has been developping into a fine middle 6 C. Vejdemo, Alain and Verbeek will fight it out for the last C spot or be moved to wings. Martineau is depth that was good in his short ECHL stint last year.

Strenght: Great depth
Weakness: None apparent
NB: I don't see McCarron going on or passing waivers.

LD
Matt Taormina
Rinat Valyev
Michal Moravcik
Ryan Culkin
David Sklenicka

Taormina is a great AHL D (D of the year in 2016-2017). Valyev is a solid top4D. Culkin is depth. Moravcik and Sklenicka are question marks, but Moravcik played well at development camp.

Strenght: Good depth if everybody stays. Good offensive and defensive capabilities
Weakness: The two Czechs could leave.

NB: Ouellet and/or Mete could be there.

RD
Brett Lernout
Maxim Lamarche
TJ Melancon
Adam Plant

Lernout as a top pair D may not be optimal. Lamarche should be fine as a 4th D. Melancon was great at the ECHL, but unproven at the AHL level. Plant seemed meh last year.

Strenght: Defensive capabilities
Weakness: Offensive potential unproven. Potential lack of depth

NB: Noah Juulsen could be sent down. Cale Fleury could sign and play this year.

G
Charlie Lindgren
Michael McNiven
Étienne Marcoux

Lindgren and McNiven struggle behind an horrible D last year, but both have a lot of potential. Marcoux was good in the ECHL last year.

Strenght: Strong group of goalies
Weakness: Fragile confidence due to last year? Lindgren might get called up if Niemi is waived/traded.

It gives something like that:
Daniel Audette - Jake Evans - Alex Belzile
Nikita Jevpalovs - Lukas Vejdemo - William Bitten
Jeremiah Addison - Alexandre Alain - Antoine Waked
Michael Pezzetta, Hayden Verbeek
ECHL: Morgan Adam-Moisan, Phelix Martineau

If they gain Rychel:
Kerby Rychel- Jake Evans - Alex Belzile
Nikita Jevpalovs - Daniel Audette - William Bitten
Jeremiah Addison - Lukas Vejdemo - Alexandre Alain
Antoine Waked, Michael Pezzetta
ECHL: Morgan Adam-Moisan, Phelix Martineau, Hayden Verbeek

For the D
Taormina - Lernout
Valyev - Lamarche
Moravcik - Melancon
Plant, Sklenicka
ECHL: Culkin

If they get one of Mete/Ouellet/Juulsen
Mete/Ouellet - Taormina or Taormina - Juulsen
Valyev - Lernout
Moravcik - Lamarche
Melancon, Sklenicka
ECHL: Plant, Culkin

Pretty spot on IMO but you forgot someone, Byron Froese will be in Laval to start the season for sure.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I haven't seen as much of Lernout as you, but he hasn't impressed me at all. My admittedly incomplete impressions: Likeable kid, strong and solid, but a mess in his zone. I'm surprised you have him making the Habs over Mete -- what am I missing?

I want to see Mete in the AHL to work on his offensive game, same for Juulsen. Lernout it doesn't matter how much or little he plays whereas Mete and Juulsen can get PP time in the AHL.

Reactions: Fenris

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I want to see Mete in the AHL to work on his offensive game, same for Juulsen. Lernout it doesn't matter how much or little he plays whereas Mete and Juulsen can get PP time in the AHL.
In other words, release the tank. :laugh:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
With Shaw and Byron out, I doubt it.

We currently have 16 forwards under contract once Danault and Armia sign their new deal. If you also keep McCarron in MTL that make 17 forwards.
Even whitout Byron(should be back near the start of the season) and Shaw, we end up with 15 forwards. At least 1 will be cut or maybe even 2 players.

My guess Froese + McCarron/Peca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->