Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Reactions: CHGoalie27

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
@GermanPanther

Ang had a solid game, a goal and assist. Really think he could become a 4C for us in 2 years.
Greco scores again, if Sceviour wasn't here, Greco would be. SPR off to a 3-0-2 record

Tippett had a goal tonight, 5 goals, 8pts, +4 in 5 games. Also has a PPG and a SHG.

Ang overall playing good shifts in the AHL. From what i hear during the Games, he plays solide. For a Rookie is this good. But that Ang would have no Problem in the AHL, was a bit to see after he played the 4 games end of the Season in Springfield. Possible i also saw Ang as a 3rd Line or 4th Line Player about his energy shift and he is a fast skater.
batting1k also said during the 1st Prospect Tournament ang played, he was an impressive Player in his Way. Not the scorer but his shifts he played was full of energy and that Game he still plays.
later with Lamminko and Mamin on 4th Line could be an option.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ang overall playing good shifts in the AHL. From what i hear during the Games, he plays solide. For a Rookie is this good. But that Ang would have no Problem in the AHL, was a bit to see after he played the 4 games end of the Season in Springfield. Possible i also saw Ang as a 3rd Line or 4th Line Player about his energy shift and he is a fast skater.
batting1k also said during the 1st Prospect Tournament ang played, he was an impressive Player in his Way. Not the scorer but his shifts he played was full of energy and that Game he still plays.
later with Lamminko and Mamin on 4th Line could be an option.

His speed is incredible, works really well on the forecheck and PK.
That's a great idea for a fourth line, if not Lammikko, possibly Greco.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
His speed is incredible, works really well on the forecheck and PK.
That's a great idea for a fourth line, if not Lammikko, possibly Greco.

Greco is something hard to tell, its like with MacDonal in NewJersey, he might be good enough to play NHL but never get the Chance about Roster issue or personal opinions.
If Greco get no Games or Chance this Season, interisting if might try his luck somewhere else. But Greco is overall a 100% AHL player and even to hold this level makes you already and NHL Depth Player.

Last edited:

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Posted this on the USA WJC thread - figured I'd share the update with you all as well...

---

If we're throwing around names I'll stump for Max Gildon of UNH again. I certainly hope USA Hockey is willing to give him a look with a fresh set of eyes...

Through three games UNH has managed just five goals - and Gildon is 1-4--5 to lead the team. No one else has more than two points. No cheapies either as he has scored or been the primary creator for every UNH goal. He is also a +5 on the season as he hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against (UNH has allowed seven)...

He's playing top pairing minutes, as well as QBing the first PP and playing significant minutes on the PK.

I saw him tonight at CC and will see him again tomorrow. His game has matured - he is still a swashbuckler offensively, but he's much more sure-handed and dependable. Back on D all night and zero turnovers. And so, so smooth...

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Posted this on the USA WJC thread - figured I'd share the update with you all as well...

---

If we're throwing around names I'll stump for Max Gildon of UNH again. I certainly hope USA Hockey is willing to give him a look with a fresh set of eyes...

Through three games UNH has managed just five goals - and Gildon is 1-4--5 to lead the team. No one else has more than two points. No cheapies either as he has scored or been the primary creator for every UNH goal. He is also a +5 on the season as he hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against (UNH has allowed seven)...

He's playing top pairing minutes, as well as QBing the first PP and playing significant minutes on the PK.

I saw him tonight at CC and will see him again tomorrow. His game has matured - he is still a swashbuckler offensively, but he's much more sure-handed and dependable. Back on D all night and zero turnovers. And so, so smooth...
Thanks for the info. Any idea who you would compare him to going forward, upside and style-wise?
If you have any more reports on Gildon or our other prospects please share, we appreciate it :)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Stop by anytime and let us know all you feel like offering!

...what's he like?

I have only watched this one game yesterday, so far. So this is based on an extremely small sample size. In this game he played with a lot of energy, like you would expect from a young player trying to impress the coaches of the big club. Other than that no particular part of his game stood out to me. He did basically everything well, but nothing great. But again I have to see more of him before I can form a solid opinion. I hope he gets some more games with Munich throughout the season. If he does I will try to watch as many as I can and post my thoughts about him here.

In the Game against Schwemmingen, not bad. Maybe when you also a local Munich, we ould meet up on a HomeGame this Season.

I watched the game on TV (I have the DEL-package from Telekom), but my parents live in/near Munich so sometimes when I visit them I'll try to catch a game if it works out.
Next time I'll be in Munich in November but that's only for 2 days for business meetings and I won't have a chance to watch hockey.
I will also be in Munich for a few days in December. I plan to travel a bit further to Füssen to catch a game of the Div. 1a WJC there. I don't know if I will also get a chance to watch a DEL game during that time. But once my travel plans are a little more fixed, I could let you know and maybe we can meet up.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Saw Monty got 3rd star with a .909 sv%. I’m assuming he was phenomenal.

Cant say i doesnt listen today, i was today complete in the panthers Game. Normal i cut the Voice of Panthers Game and listen Springfield radio broadcast.
Monty made 30 of 33 Shots thats good would i say, but Goalie points belongs to CHGoalie.
As much as I'd love to conveniently go against my anti-stats narrative...and I can only assume now..but at one point we were outshot 22-8? I could definitely be wrong, but unless we have sonething like the 90s Stevens/Daneyko new jersey devils playing in the AHL, I'd assume that a team playing that much higher over another ain't taking all perimeter shots!

Also, to me, seeing the stat as "30 for 33" appears different and better than saying he had a .909 sv%. Especially against a classic Brodeur like 20-21 (.953 sv%). Where's the stat translation lost in 10 more saves and 2 goals that anyone may not have gotten on their best day? Thats where the stats end to me- they could've been truly soft goals he lost focus on...now we need to watch and analyze as stats don't cover that one, while it obviously matters towards fairly judging the goalie.

I want to know why he wasn't first star...

..ok back to sleep, will read and likely need to edit this all later LOL

Reactions: GermanPanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

---

...and yes please on the Gildon updates, he's second highest on my up and comers list under Monty...kid reeks of hockey IQ from what I saw, cant imagine he wont be a world class dman and won't take long to show it.

Last edited:

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
NCHC - New Hampshire vs. Colorado College Highlights - 10/19/18

That is the link to the highlights from UNH at CC, last night.

Gildon scores UNH's first goal on a wrist shot through a heavy screen. He does such a good job shooting the puck - his wrister is hard and accurate and he does a great job getting pucks through to the net. He creates so many chances with his shot even when he's not scoring on tips and rebounds.

He assists on UNH's second goal with a long pass from the far boards threaded through four players, including three opponents, for an easy tap in. Here's a better look at the pass with replay...

His second assist comes when he drops down the side boards, picks up the puck and cuts to the net to create a chance.

He also had an incredible play on the break out when his partner put a pass in his skates at the blue line. He collected it by kicking it out in front of him - it looked like he may have kicked it right to a forechecking forward for a break away, but in one motion he grabbed the puck with the heel of his stick and spun away hitting his stride immediately...

He would turn it over occasionally last year - sometimes thinking ahead without assuring he took care of the moment, but he has been so steady with the puck this year. Best player on the ice in all three games. Last night he earned first star of the game honors...

I don't want to over or undersell him with an NHL comp - I watch much more college hockey. At 6-3, with the vision, skating and hands he has I'd bet heavily on his future. If he can become more physical he definitely has the potential to be a top-pair defenseman and lead a potent PP...

As for college defenseman he is miles ahead of where TVR and Brett Pesce were at the same age for UNH and compares favorably to what I saw from Charlie McAvoy and Zachary Werenski - though both did a nice job continuing to develop on their way to - and in - the NHL. So don't hold me to that, haha.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't make the US WJC - and thought he should have made it last year. But USA hockey seems at times unwilling to forgive some of his turnovers at the NTDP level. As I said, considering late last season and early on this year he seems to have steadily out grown those issues...

I grew up in NH and now have DU season tickets. The thought of Gildon and Borgstrom on the same PP is tantalizing...

Glad to help.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Gildon scores UNH's first goal on a wrist shot through a heavy screen. He does such a good job shooting the puck - his wrister is hard and accurate and he does a great job getting pucks through to the net. He creates so many chances with his shot even when he's not scoring on tips and rebounds.

He assists on UNH's second goal with a long pass from the far boards threaded through four players, including three opponents, for an easy tap in. Here's a better look at the pass with replay...

His second assist comes when he drops down the side boards, picks up the puck and cuts to the net to create a chance.

He also had an incredible play on the break out when his partner put a pass in his skates at the blue line. He collected it by kicking it out in front of him - it looked like he may have kicked it right to a forechecking forward for a break away, but in one motion he grabbed the puck with the heel of his stick and spun away hitting his stride immediately...

He would turn it over occasionally last year - sometimes thinking ahead without assuring he took care of the moment, but he has been so steady with the puck this year. Best player on the ice in all three games. Last night he earned first star of the game honors...

Glad to help.

Holy hockey sticks, what a pass!

He reminds me of Leetch when I watch him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

I don't want to over or undersell him with an NHL comp - I watch much more college hockey. At 6-3, with the vision, skating and hands he has I'd bet heavily on his future. If he can become more physical he definitely has the potential to be a top-pair defenseman and lead a potent PP...

As for college defenseman he is miles ahead of where TVR and Brett Pesce were at the same age for UNH and compares favorably to what I saw from Charlie McAvoy and Zachary Werenski - though both did a nice job continuing to develop on their way to - and in - the NHL. So don't hold me to that, haha.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't make the US WJC - and thought he should have made it last year. But USA hockey seems at times unwilling to forgive some of his turnovers at the NTDP level. As I said, considering late last season and early on this year he seems to have steadily out grown those issues...

I grew up in NH and now have DU season tickets. The thought of Gildon and Borgstrom on the same PP is tantalizing...

Glad to help.

Thanks for the great update. Feel free to keep them coming.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Is it too early to start talking about SPR? Off to a 4-0-2 start to the season.

Badly outshot today, 40-16 but found a way to a 4-2 win. Greco and Repo with a goal and assist each, Borgstrom with a helper and MacDonald with another goal, his 3rd in 3 games.
Yeah getting outshot every game is a little worrying. But they’re finding ways to win. Glad for their fans. They deserve it.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Springfield has a lot of players that could be on the cusp of the NHL, especially if they were in different organizations.

I quite like greco and hope he eventually gets a shot somewhere.
I hope it’s with us. His speed would be a valuable asset.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Is it too early to start talking about SPR? Off to a 4-0-2 start to the season.

Badly outshot today, 40-16 but found a way to a 4-2 win. Greco and Repo with a goal and assist each, Borgstrom with a helper and MacDonald with another goal, his 3rd in 3 games.

Seems that the goat lending and defense is top notch. SPR played against Laval also yesterday, shots 23 vs. 33 respectively with the outcome of 5-3. The vets are pulling the heavy lifting atm but if the rookies also catch on they might be a force to be reckoned with in the league.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Seems that the goat lending and defense is top notch. SPR played against Laval also yesterday, shots 23 vs. 33 respectively; 5-3. The vets are pulling the heavy lifting atm but if the rookies also catch on they might be a force to be reckoned with in the league.

If only we could get some of that up here.
Greco should be a Panther next year.
Love Repo's game, possible 4th liner next year or year after.
MacDonald was a slick pick up and Borgstrom is producing.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
If only we could get some of that up here.
Greco should be a Panther next year.
Love Repo's game, possible 4th liner next year or year after.
MacDonald was a slick pick up and Borgstrom is producing.

Now that Haley is gone Repo definitely serves a need for this team on the 4th line or as a 13th forward.
I'm not sure where the mgmt would find room for Greco. I think that he'll just start the next season with another team via trade since he's an RFA (if he insists on getting some NHL duties even as a RFA).
The defense corps(es) might get a good shakeup after this season if the current trend continues. Melchiori, MacDonald and McCoshen are candidates to replace Petro, Pysyk and Kiselevich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad