Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Annnd Tippett's year is over.
Guelph completed the impossible comeback, down 3-0 and looking to win game 7 by a score of 3-1.

Tippett held without a point and Guelph will now play Ottawa in the Final

Edit, Saginaw scores a late goal with one minute to go...3-2. Too little too late..

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Annnd Tippett's year is over.
Guelph completed the impossible comeback, down 3-0 and looking to win game 7 by a score of 3-1.

Tippett held without a point and Guelph will now play Ottawa in the Final

Edit, Saginaw scores a late goal with one minute to go...3-2. Too little too late..
Tippett went invisible the last couple games

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So Karpat loses the game 7 and therefore finishes second in Liiga playoffs. Oh yeah, and Hepo took the 2+2 penalty in overtime which cost them the game.

Both Heponiemi and Kupari who produced great in regular season did very little in the playoffs, at least on the scoresheet. Hepo had just 3 goals, no assists in 17 playoff games, Kupari went 1+4 in 16 playoff games. What immediatelly jumps out at me is that both their shooting% dropped a LOT - Hepo went from 12.6 to 7.7% in the playoffs, but it's much more drastic for Kupari who went from shooting at 9.9% to a miserable 1.9% in the playoffs. Wonder which one of them was more to blame?

Anyway I still really like Hepo as a prospect but IMO he is at least a year away and this trend of meh playoff production is somewhat worrying.

Do we know what's our plan for him next year?

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So Karpat loses the game 7 and therefore finishes second in Liiga playoffs. Oh yeah, and Hepo took the 2+2 penalty in overtime which cost them the game.

Both Heponiemi and Kupari who produced great in regular season did very little in the playoffs. Hepo had just 3 goals, no assists in 17 playoff games, Kupari went 1+4 in 16 playoff games.I still really like Hepo as a prospect but IMO he is at least a year away and his trend of meh playoff production is somewhat worrying.

Do we know what's our plan for Hepo next year?

So none of our prospects won a championship, they're all busts! :sarcasm:

Well that leaves 3 options for Heponiemi then,

A- comes back over to North America and gets used to that style of game in SPR, feel him and Tippett could be a great winger duo. He may need another year or two developing and it couldn't hurt to play the long game with him. Hopefully he would improve and possibly replace Huberdeau if he leaves/traded down the road.

B- is traded for a RD prospect of similar value if management feel his game won't translate over here, capitalizing on his increased value. Wilde, Woo, etc

C- stays in Liiga for one more year to fine tune his game. Feel there is no further upside to playing over there but if he feels more comfortable at home then you give him one final year there.

Option C is less desirable for me, A or B is a must and B even more so if we land Panarin. Top 6 would be all but set for the next 3 years. Your thoughts?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So none of our prospects won a championship, they're all busts! :sarcasm:

Well that leaves 3 options for Heponiemi then,

A- comes back over to North America and gets used to that style of game in SPR, feel him and Tippett could be a great winger duo. He may need another year or two developing and it couldn't hurt to play the long game with him. Hopefully he would improve and possibly replace Huberdeau if he leaves/traded down the road.

B- is traded for a RD prospect of similar value if management feel his game won't translate over here, capitalizing on his increased value. Wilde, Woo, etc

C- stays in Liiga for one more year to fine tune his game. Feel there is no further upside to playing over there but if he feels more comfortable at home then you give him one final year there.

Option C is less desirable for me, A or B is a must and B even more so if we land Panarin. Top 6 would be all but set for the next 3 years. Your thoughts?
Personally I'd bring him to the AHL; still believe that his game will translate to the NHL and that he has a realistic 1st line/top6 winger upside. However, I agree that if we can get a high-end D prospect for Hepo, that would make a lot of sense too, especially if we do land Panarin in FA.

Sidenote but apparently Jokke Nevalainan thinks that the Hepo OT penalty shouldn't have been a penalty - which is huge because it directly cost them the cup:

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Sidenote but apparently Jokke Nevalainan thinks that the Hepo OT penalty shouldn't have been a penalty - which is huge because it directly cost them the cup:

It's clear as day that it was Niclas Lucenius' stick that hit Friman in the head. It's also amazing how little Heponiemi complained about the call. He protested pretty mildly and once he got into the penalty box, he already looked pretty calm. Heponiemi's calmness made me think that he probably did hit Friman with his stick. I'm pretty sure many people felt the same way and that's why it took a while after the GWG before people really started talking about the costly mistake by the refs.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Gives him a reason to be even hungrier next season. There are gonna be bumps in the road for these young prospects. For his first yeah in a professional mens league, he was great.
Agreed. Excellent regular season, but playoffs was a disaster. Know he will be better next time though.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So hard to believe that he didn't register 1 assist, crazy to think.
Not absolving Hepo from responsibility but I'd once again point out Kupari's shooting%. Scoring just one goal on 54 shots? Not great. If he scores at his usual rate, Hepo probably has a few assists - still nothing near his regular season production but less awful than the 3+0 in 17 games...

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
We can’t afford to trade Matheson. This is ridiculous. We need to add another top 4 d without taking one away. A lot of crow will be eaten next year.

What ridiculous is the way he played. And also , if we keep drafting forwards early in the drafts. Defensive dmen needed, number one goalie, retain key parts ...Matheson has played himself out quite possibly.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Hello fellas!

I picked Panthers in a Mock GM game. I'd really appreciate your help! Could some of you give a list of top 10 prospects you currently have in the system that aren't playing in the NHL yet? Thank you so much.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
The order can be swapped around by someone who follows our prospects more closely but roughly.

1) Tippett
2) Denisenko
3) Borgstrom
4) Heponiemi
5) Noel
6) Montembeault
7) Gildon
8) Ang
9) Stillman
10) Hawrlyuk/Hunt

Reactions: Murzu
Status