Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Justin Schütz will be the youngest player on the German "Top Team Peking" where they've assembled the best available U26 players who have a shot to make the next Olympics roster. He would have been the second youngest, but Moritz Seider is injured.
That team will play 2 games tomorrow and on Wednesday (both at 7:30 pm CET) against Switzerland. The games will be streamed live here:
TOP TEAM PEKING 2019, Eishockey Länderspiel Deutschland - Schweiz | thefan.fm | WE LOVE SPORTS
I have no idea what the quality of the stream will be like (probably German commentary), but maybe somebody here is interested in watching. Although I also don't know how much ice time Schütz is likely to get, being the youngest player.

I should be able to watch at least one of the games and let you know what I see from Schütz.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Justin Schütz will be the youngest player on the German "Top Team Peking" where they've assembled the best available U26 players who have a shot to make the next Olympics roster. He would have been the second youngest, but Moritz Seider is injured.
That team will play 2 games tomorrow and on Wednesday (both at 7:30 pm CET) against Switzerland. The games will be streamed live here:
TOP TEAM PEKING 2019, Eishockey Länderspiel Deutschland - Schweiz | thefan.fm | WE LOVE SPORTS
I have no idea what the quality of the stream will be like (probably German commentary), but maybe somebody here is interested in watching. Although I also don't know how much ice time Schütz is likely to get, being the youngest player.

I should be able to watch at least one of the games and let you know what I see from Schütz.
Much appreciated!

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
With the trade deadline approaching have any NHL scouts been attending any games? I think if they are planning on making a trade possibly with Columbus they might add a few NHL prospects/players in the deal.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, I missed the first game between the U26 teams of Germany ans Switzerland, which Germany won 4-2, but I watched the second one last night (Switzerland won that one 5-2).
Here are my thoughts on the game Justin Schütz played:

Schütz did not play on the power play or penalty kill and therefore had somewhat limited ice time since there were a lot of penalties in the game.
Otherwise he played on the wing of the third line.
On his first shift he turned the puck over which resulted in a decent chance for the Swiss team, but that remained his only significant mistake of the game.

What I liked about his game:
  • He always knew where he had to be on the ice.
  • A lot of effort on the forecheck and in general.
  • Finished his checks.
  • Tried to use his body to shield the puck (He was a bit outmatched here, but as he gets stronger he should improve).
  • He anticipated well and reacted quickly whenever either team turned the puck over and play went in the other direction.
  • Pretty good vision and awareness.
  • Battled hard for the puck.
  • Played a physical game, eventhough he was not as physically mature as most of the other players in the game.
  • Tenacious on the backcheck. While he didn't really manage to pickpocket the opposing forwards, he did cause a couple of turnovers by disrupting their play.
What I didn't like:
  • He struggled with puck control when he tried to stickhandle.
  • His decision making with the puck on his stick was too slow.
  • For most of the game he would not have been noticed by anyone, who was not especially focussing on him (as I did).

Some general observations:
  • Had a great opportunity to either create a chance for himself or a teammate, but fumbled the puck. However he did manage to draw a penalty on the play.
  • Not a flashy player (when he tried to play flashy it didn't end well)
  • Mostly plays a simple game
  • He took some more risks towards the end of the game, when it was more or less out of reach. There he showed some promising skill. He will not elegantly stickhandle himself through a couple of defenders, but he may be able to "dig" himself through two or three opposing players and somehow emerge with the puck.
  • At times it seemed to me that he thinks the game at a higher level than he was capable of playing at. There were several instances when it was obvious what he was trying to do and if it had worked it would have been a great play, but he could not pull it off. Maybe he was just unlucky yesterday, or maybe he lacks the necessary skill.
This is obviously just an observation of one game and only little ice time, so take it for what it's worth.

On a side note: The thing that impressed me the most about the game was the quality of the stream. Usually hockey streams from games in Germany have lousy quality, but this one was pretty good.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
There are at least 3 players who should be sent up. Would like to see Anthony Greco get a shot he is super quick and deserves a shot since he is faster that McDavid.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
There are at least 3 players who should be sent up. Would like to see Anthony Greco get a shot he is super quick and deserves a shot since he is faster that McDavid.

We already tried one fast midget in the show with Grimaldi. Didn't quite work out. I'm not really enamored by guys who are even on a ppg-pace in the AHL because there's still a decent divide between the two leagues. TBs should really get their team into a contender-shape instead of trying to push AHLers/potential NHLers into the NHL asap. McGinn probably gets called up if he has recovered from his injury and could still produce in the NHL and Hawk gets sent down.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
We already tried one fast midget in the show with Grimaldi. Didn't quite work out. I'm not really enamored by guys who are even on a ppg-pace in the AHL because there's still a decent divide between the two leagues. TBs should really get their team into a contender-shape instead of trying to push AHLers/potential NHLers into the NHL asap. McGinn probably gets called up if he has recovered from his injury and could still produce in the NHL and Hawk gets sent down.
We have moved to a heavier bottom 6, I could see it. I liked McGinn last year, he is just overpaid in the bottom 6 is all.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah Tippett has kinda cooled down lately - though TBH the whole team seems to be playing somewhat mediocre? Anyway agreed that if SPR makes the playoffs I'd much rather see him playing there than in juniors.

Hunt is an interesting guy. He has been steadily improving in the AHL which is what you want to see, but his lack of NHL production in his two call-ups (his one assist was a fluke) is kinda worrisome. Maybe he just needs that one goal at that level and the rest will come, who knows?

MacDonald seems to be blocked by the offensive Dmen on our roster... which is somewhat understandeable but I still wish there was a spot for him, he's earned an opportunity with his play.

Yes I think Stillman is back at D.

Some players are just career AHLers.

Reactions: Mase

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
How long did Trocheck get before he stuck?

Not saying anyone on this current roster...outside of the usual suspects...is Tro, but it seems to me that folks are forgetting that Tro was trade bait until he was "Tro". Point being, players not only have to "flash" something somewhat special before they stick, but they also have to be given a specific role, also an extended period of time, IMO, a season or more.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
T Birds blown out 7-1 tonight by Rochester. When you can only dress 4 defensemen on the road against a team 16 games above .500 what chance do you have ?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
T Birds blown out 7-1 tonight by Rochester. When you can only dress 4 defensemen on the road against a team 16 games above .500 what chance do you have ?
I'm sorry but why are we dressing just four D? What's wrong with Wideman, is he hurt? Anyway even if all our guys are incapacitated, aren't there defencemen in ECHL that we could borrow? Or make a trade for a purely AHL guy?
This lack of D isn't a new situation, it's been going on for a while and it's going to cost SPR the playoffs. Joyce or Tallon need to do something and fix it immediately if it's not already too late.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Noel goes 1+2, second star of the game in a 4-3 OT win. Nice assists on the first goal and the OT goal but LOL at Erie's defensive play on Noel's goal. Parked his ass almost in Erie's net and just waited for the perfect pass - like, my four year old brother could score from that position. Then again it's great to have a big body in front of a net so yay goal.

Anyway after recently going through something of a cold streak, Noel now scored a goal in straight three games. 28 goals, 39 assists for 67 points in 53 games.

Also, be careful with the celebrations plz? :D On the OT winner he jump-hugged their goal-scorer and almost knocked him down (held him tight though so teammate unhurt). But man I can just see it - first game of the season, Trocheck scores the OT winner, Noel jumps at him to celebrate, Tro knocked down, dead. #FloridaPanthersHockey

In other news, Denisenko picked for Russia's roster for the most recent EHT tournament (Euro hockey tour); playing on the fourth line though as far as I can tell so not expecting him to make much impact there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Noel goes 1+2, second star of the game in a 4-3 OT win. Nice assists on the first goal and the OT goal but LOL at Erie's defensive play on Noel's goal. Parked his ass almost in Erie's net and just waited for the perfect pass - like, my four year old brother could score from that position. Then again it's great to have a big body in front of a net so yay goal.

Anyway after recently going through something of a cold streak, Noel now scored a goal in straight three games. 28 goals, 39 assists for 67 points in 53 games.

Also, be careful with the celebrations plz? :D On the OT winner he jump-hugged their goal-scorer and almost knocked him down (held him tight though so teammate unhurt). But man I can just see it - first game of the season, Trocheck scores the OT winner, Noel jumps at him to celebrate, Tro knocked down, dead. #FloridaPanthersHockey

In other news, Denisenko picked for Russia's roster for the most recent EHT tournament (Euro hockey tour); playing on the fourth line though as far as I can tell so not expecting him to make much impact there.
Damn it’s a shame about Noel’s iq tho.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I'm sorry but why are we dressing just four D? What's wrong with Wideman, is he hurt? Anyway even if all our guys are incapacitated, aren't there defencemen in ECHL that we could borrow? Or make a trade for a purely AHL guy?
This lack of D isn't a new situation, it's been going on for a while and it's going to cost SPR the playoffs. Joyce or Tallon need to do something and fix it immediately if it's not already too late.
How can they only dress 4 defenseman? Is that a coaching error or a lack of players or possible trades?

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Your right whoever is running the show up there isn't doing a good job. Can't blame the coach as much as the GM and Tallon no excuse to not manage your players and only play 4 defensemen against a really good team.

BrankoRadivojevic

May 9, 2012
Massachusetts
For anyone wondering, Mangene has been playing as a defenseman all year. He’s listed at F, but he’s been used as an offensive defenseman, even getting significant power play time. As for Turgeon, well... that is a problem. He played 6 games before Melchiori and Wideman got injured. He got two fighting majors on his first game playing defense.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Reason why they only dressed 4 defensemen- there were too many Vets I believe this is the second time this has happened this year. Not sure what they can do to prevent it but I would think there is a way around it.

A player who has played more than 260 NHL, AHL or European elite league regular-season games counts as a veteran (the rule doesn't apply to goalies). AHL teams are allowed to dress a maximum of six veterans per game – five veterans and one exempt veteran. An exempt veteran, which we often colloquially call a "tweener," is a player who hasn't played more than 320 regular-season games.
Only the number coming into a season counts as a player's games played total. If, say, a player comes into a season at 250 games, he still remains classified as a non-veteran that whole season even after he passes the 260 mark during that campaign.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad