Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Lol.. they have no interest in giving him a fair shot ??
Apparently not :( Kinda the same thing as with Valk last year... produced a lot in the AHL but only saw three minutes of NHL time in the one game he played. Unsurprisingly, he left for the KHL at the end of the year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In college, Bednard adds another win (10-2-2 for the season), making 25 saves on 26 shots, voted 2nd star of the game :) 1.77 GAA, .924 SVS for the season.

Just looking at the college goalie stats, with at least 14 games played, the top 4 goalies numbers are:

Hunter ShepardMinnesota-DuluthJrGP
W
L
T
GA
MINS
GAA
SO
SV
SV%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ryan BednardBowling GreenJr141022258461.772306.924
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ryan LarkinMiamiJr14841257921.893363.936
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Adam ScheelNorth DakotaFr14841247621.891253.913
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hunter Shepard has played 2 more games than Bednard so I'll give him 1st overall but Bednard is pretty much the 2nd best goalie in the league, that's really impressive stuff. Most games played by a goalie this year is 19 for reference.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Just looking at the college goalie stats, with at least 14 games played, the top 4 goalies numbers are:

W
L
T
GA
MINS
GAA
SO
SV
SV%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hunter Shepard has played 2 more games than Bednard so I'll give him 1st overall but Bednard is pretty much the 2nd best goalie in the league, that's really impressive stuff. Most games played by a goalie this year is 19 for reference.
Now I ask you one better, say Bednard played for Minnesota-Duluth...and Shepard played for B.G....

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

W
L
T
GA
MINS
GAA
SO
SV
SV%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wouldn't call him second-best based on stats. One thing that I noticed when looking at college goalie numbers - Bednard played the 13th most minutes amongst the NCCA goalies but only faced the 30th highest amount of shots. There are goalies who faced many more shots, with some (for example Oettiger-DAL and Daccord-OTT) who have equal or better save% as Bednard.
That said Bednard's record is very good and I really liked what I saw of him in the developement camp and the few vids of him that I actually watched. Definitely NHL potential there and I hope he makes the jump to the AHL next year :)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Justin Schutz with three assists (two primary) in a 6-1 win of Germany over France at the U20.
He finishes the tournament with seven points (2+5) in five games, tied for second place on the team with Seider (1+6) and with just one point less than Dominik Bokk (who is 2+6). Also second-place in scoring in the whole tournament but there's still one game left between Belarus and Norway.
I also still maintain that they robbed him of an assist in one of the earlier games. Ah well.

He's definitely a long-term project. Still, nice to know that there's some potential there and they weren't completely off the rocker with the pick. I like :)

With the win, Germany earns a spot at the WJC U20 next year, so if all goes well we'll see him next year against top-level competition from Canada, USA etc.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Wouldn't call him second-best based on stats. One thing that I noticed when looking at college goalie numbers - Bednard played the 13th most minutes amongst the NCCA goalies but only faced the 30th highest amount of shots. There are goalies who faced many more shots, with some (for example Oettiger-DAL and Daccord-OTT) who have equal or better save% as Bednard.
That said Bednard's record is very good and I really liked what I saw of him in the developement camp and the few vids of him that I actually watched. Definitely NHL potential there and I hope he makes the jump to the AHL next year :)
...just the same don't discount that he may be the second best based on someone else's stats lol

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
...just the same don't discount that he may be the second best based on someone else's stats lol
True.

[EDIT: About Schutz]
I watched just two of the games; the offensive insticts are there. Can't talk for all five games but in those two, he definitely earned the points.
A couple time I had the exact opposite feeling - that he was in a great position for a pass and his teammates ignored him, or that he made a good pass and teammates did nothing with it. In the International thread they summed him up as "Great vision. Great hands. Good skating." Maybe "great" is too strong but I do like the potential there.
Still lots of work to do - he had shifts where he stood out in a good way and shifts where he was invisible. I also saw him lose the puck quite a few time in the o-zone (though to be fair, that was usually when there were two or three "enemy skaters" on him...). Let him play a couple years in Europe, then bring him to the AHL. No rush with the kid.

I did like Moritz Seider. If he's still available early in the second round and we somehow got a pick there, I wouldn't mind grabbing him.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Does that have anything to do with him playing only 14 games though?
He's #2 in my heart :sarcasm:
Monty is still the guy for me.

Also, your post above this one, is that about Bednard?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Does that have anything to do with him playing only 14 games though?
He's #2 in my heart :sarcasm:
Monty is still the guy for me.

Also, your post above this one, is that about Bednard?
Damn, no. I thought CHGoalie was responding to my other post. This is what I get for trying to discuss hockey while babysitting baby!brother /o\

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Damn, no. I thought CHGoalie was responding to my other post. This is what I get for trying to discuss hockey while babysitting baby!brother /o\
I was talking about Bednard and you seemed to respond accordingly (After all-saying "true" after every last thing I say is responding accordingly!)

@ThePatientPanther stop messing up our euro scout's babysitting agenda! And you bet yer ass Monty is still yer guy!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I was talking about Bednard and you seemed to respond accordingly (After all-saying "true" after every last thing I say is responding accordingly!)

@ThePatientPanther stop messing up our euro scout's babysitting agenda! And you bet yer ass Monty is still yer guy!
Very accordingly. :nod: Especially when I praised Bednard's offensive instincts. Oh, I like this bit:
"I also saw him lose the puck quite a few time in the o-zone (though to be fair, that was usually when there were two or three "enemy skaters" on him...)."
That's... certainly a different kind of goalie... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
We even watched some hockey together. He seemed kinda indifferent about the whole chasing the puck and trying to score thing but he enjoyed spotting the flags in the audience and he loved the Zambonis ("When will they stop so the car will come back?" :laugh:). Also there was a dinosaur mascot at the end of the game. ("He doesn't know that dinosaurs are extinct!"). He was clearly intrigued by the idea of a penalty box and was disappointed that it wasn't visible on the screen (it was the Germany-France U20 game which only had a few cameras). Showed him pictures of goalie masks and skater masks; liked those and kept asking me if the random players were wearing cages or not. At the end of the game he was kinda disturbed when the Germans all jumped their goalie and started celebrating so I had to explain they were very happy - "And what about the white guys? Are they very happy too? - No honey, they lost the game. - Why? - Well, it's hockey. Only one team can win and they scored less goals. - So they left for home? - Not yet. They'll shake hands first with the other guys to show that they're not mad at each other. -Ok. ... Will the ice car come back?" :laugh:

...and then the game was over and we spent the next hour and half playing ghosts and ghost-hunters, alternating between hiding from the evil ghost hunter (who catches poor ghosts and sells them to the circus) and being the evil ghost hunter. That was fun :D

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Bednard second star of the game again and again a 4-1 win against Minnesota same as on Friday. This time however he made 22 saves on 23 shots.
Overall record improved to 1.72 GAA, .927 SVS%, 11-2-2. So far in 15 games, he only allowed more than two goals in two of them (3 and 5). Another interesting stat: the only two losses Bednard has were when his team scored 0 goals; as long as they score, he gets them at least a tie (though to be fair, they usually score quite a bit, averaging 3.7 goals per game).

Also worth noting: in the eleven games where they named the three stars of the game, Bednard was 1st star once, 2nd star four times and a 3rd star once. Not bad at all :)

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Very accordingly. :nod: Especially when I praised Bednard's offensive instincts. Oh, I like this bit:
"I also saw him lose the puck quite a few time in the o-zone (though to be fair, that was usually when there were two or three "enemy skaters" on him...)."
That's... certainly a different kind of goalie..
. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So you're saying he's Patrick Roy? Lofty expectations, but if he pans out, boy are the Panthers in for a good time!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bednard second star of the game again and again a 4-1 win against Minnesota same as on Friday. This time however he made 22 saves on 23 shots.
Overall record improved to 1.72 GAA, .927 SVS%, 11-2-2. So far in 15 games, he only allowed more than two goals in two of them (3 and 5). Another interesting stat: the only two losses Bednard has were when his team scored 0 goals; as long as they score, he gets them at least a tie (though to be fair, they usually score quite a bit, averaging 3.7 goals per game).

Also worth noting: in the eleven games where they named the three stars of the game, Bednard was 1st star once, 2nd star four times and a 3rd star once. Not bad at all :)

Holy moly, he is beasting

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
That's... certainly a different kind of goalie... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Actually, that sounds like our goalie for half this year!
We even watched some hockey together. He seemed kinda indifferent about the whole chasing the puck and trying to score thing but he enjoyed spotting the flags in the audience and he loved the Zambonis ("When will they stop so the car will come back?" :laugh:). Also there was a dinosaur mascot at the end of the game. ("He doesn't know that dinosaurs are extinct!"). He was clearly intrigued by the idea of a penalty box and was disappointed that it wasn't visible on the screen (it was the Germany-France U20 game which only had a few cameras). Showed him pictures of goalie masks and skater masks; liked those and kept asking me if the random players were wearing cages or not. At the end of the game he was kinda disturbed when the Germans all jumped their goalie and started celebrating so I had to explain they were very happy - "And what about the white guys? Are they very happy too? - No honey, they lost the game. - Why? - Well, it's hockey. Only one team can win and they scored less goals. - So they left for home? - Not yet. They'll shake hands first with the other guys to show that they're not mad at each other. -Ok. ... Will the ice car come back?" :laugh:

...and then the game was over and we spent the next hour and half playing ghosts and ghost-hunters, alternating between hiding from the evil ghost hunter (who catches poor ghosts and sells them to the circus) and being the evil ghost hunter. That was fun :D
That's too funny, and "what about the white guys" -glad to know there's one person the planet that "white guys" haven't pissed off yet!

At least we can all take comfort in the next few years worth of goaltending won't be dreadful. I wonder if it comes between having to choose between him and Monty, what would be the return for a goalie like either...

So you're saying he's Patrick Roy? Lofty expectations, but if he pans out, boy are the Panthers in for a good time!
I was at that game LOL He went thru Gretzky and the 27 in my username before they blew the play dead. That was the game that became the proof that Henrik Lundqvist would never be responsible for a loss, as if he was allowed to take it up the ice himself for the last 14 years, he'd have had a Cup by now.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I wish. Unfortunately according to my crystal ball, we'll leave him in goal for 9 goals against when playing Toronto as our coach tries to prove a point. He'll then be traded and win multiple cups for Carolina :(

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Actually, that sounds like our goalie for half this year!

That's too funny, and "what about the white guys" -glad to know there's one person the planet that "white guys" haven't pissed off yet!

At least we can all take comfort in the next few years worth of goaltending won't be dreadful. I wonder if it comes between having to choose between him and Monty, what would be the return for a goalie like either...

I was at that game LOL He went thru Gretzky and the 27 in my username before they blew the play dead. That was the game that became the proof that Henrik Lundqvist would never be responsible for a loss, as if he was allowed to take it up the ice himself for the last 14 years, he'd have had a Cup by now.
Ideally you keep both as long as you can. Just look at Pittsbugh - Murrey was the young star, two times Stanley-cup winner, can't miss guy. Now he's struggling mightily (supposedly caused by some family issues) and without DeSmith, they'd be completely screwed.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ideally you keep both as long as you can. Just look at Pittsbugh - Murrey was the young star, two times Stanley-cup winner, can't miss guy. Now he's struggling mightily (supposedly caused by some family issues) and without DeSmith, they'd be completely screwed.
I'd rather hear that be the reason for the dip in Murray's play. Not that I wish any kind of bad situation, obviously, but it's always sad when a top caliber guy like that loses his juice.
I wish. Unfortunately according to my crystal ball, we'll leave him in goal for 9 goals against when playing Toronto as our coach tries to prove a point. He'll then be traded and win multiple cups for Carolina :(
Rather happen to him than Monty, of the two. Not that I like Monty or anything.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

He's a curious boy, keep him that way!
Very funny story!! How old is he?

I have a 10month old niece and shes a "holy terror" as my mom would say. Just starting to pull herself/stand up while holding a table or furniture and figuring out walking with help. Legs just aren't strong enough yet but she was trying to stand so she propped herself up on a foot rest and then started high pitch screaming out of sheer success but then couldn't stand upright so she got stuck in that position for a bit.

Then she got mad she couldn't stand upright so she groaned but her legs started to shake, so it looked like she was twerking/dancing so me and my brother just looked at one another and then at her momma and said "she must have got that move from you?".
Shes going to be quite the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad