Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Can we even call Noel up???
I think you're joking but please don't. Keep him in juniors. Let him enjoy his childhood innoccence and the belief that his team can win.

That said... awesome goals and I'm really liking this kid. The hands, the speed, the passing (not on display here but other games), and pressuring the net... love it. Give me more. If he can hit his potential, we'll have a heck of a player here.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think you're joking but please don't. Keep him in juniors. Let him enjoy his childhood innoccence and the belief that his team can win.

That said... awesome goals and I'm really liking this kid. The hands, the speed, the passing (not on display here but other games), and pressuring the net... love it. Give me more. If he can hit his potential, we'll have a heck of a player here.
He sure passes the eye test, but yeah that was half joking after what happened last night. I sure wouldnt want him to learn from experience here lol

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Two more assists from Heponiemi (both on the power play). Now has 26 points in 28 games; he is sixth in Liiga in points and third in assists.

(Hepo is n.20.)

In other Liiga news, Kinnunen played another game with Pelicans yesterday... not getting much icetime (just over ten minutes) but it's nice to see him playing there at all.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Short Note

Repo get a check in todays game that he leaved the Ice shaked up. Later in the Tunnel he layed on the Ground. Its a concuission on him, most likely.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Games ended.

Springfield lose in ShootOut. 3-1 Goals. Monty was unable to single save a SO try from the Penguis. 2 goals over the Glove, last in regular goal. Borgstrom scored on his try.
OT was a bit wild, stillman took a Penalty in OT before let the Penguis Forward who passed him score a Goal. Brown blocked a shot who hit him around the neck Area, a real team effort on the 4on3 Situation. Monty amde some good save, but it looks the Team already watch him out on the Glove Side able to score on him.

Monty made 41 of 42 Saves, but was not able to get the extra one in SO:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
T-Birds lose in shootout as Monty stops 42 of 43. He does his best imitation of Lu as WBS goes 3 for 3 in the shootout. :(

Lou get scored on his leg problem, monty get them always over the Glove.
Forgot to mention Borgstrom hit twice the Post in the Game, pretty unlucky. Not sure what people here mean by he is a slumpster or been playing bad. When i listen game son Radio, i listen something different about Borgstrom.

toko77

Dec 3, 2018
Forgot to mention Borgstrom hit twice the Post in the Game, pretty unlucky. Not sure what people here mean by he is a slumpster or been playing bad. When i listen game son Radio, i listen something different about Borgstrom.
Watched the same game today vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penquins. Most of the game was 5 on 5 with WBS owning the majority of puck possession. Third Period was the best period for Spr. Monty made some awesome saves rescuing a few D miscues. Borgie has a good shot and did ring a couple shots off the pipes. Borgie also lost possession of the puck several times in this game which has happened in previous games. It may just be his confidence right now and I think more continuity with his teammates will make this issue go away. He doesn't look like a "slumpster" (?) to me, just a young guy trying to figure out how to play the game in this new environment. Staying in the AHL is likely a better place to figure this out.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I don't think he is a slumpster. I think he needs the strength to play better 5 on 5. His average skating can't bail him out of the physical game that 5 on 5 on a small rink creates. Other young guys that are having success in his weight class or smaller are great skaters and have speed that must be respected to go along with the same skill Borg has. His only alternatives are to become a faster and better skater or become physically dominant enough to offset this liability. If he wants to become a center rather than a winger, he needs to improve his faceoff wins.

I have no doubt that he will get his shot in the NHL this year and it will be interesting to see how he does on the 3rd line where he will not face the competition which may allow him to have some limited success. :)

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If his glove side is a problem then it's something that is well known through scouting reports around the league. Goalies weakness' can be mitigated if the defensive core is strong enough to offset this. Monty will get plenty of competition from Bednard next year. :)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not a single person here said that Borgstrom is playing bad or that he's a slumpster.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I read in some post from earlier Pages, Borgstrom struggle here, Borgstrom struggle so he get used with other Players. borgstrom doesnt score enough and struggle.
Well he has five goals in 24 AHL games and just three are ES. It's not bad, but it's not great either.

I also think you're referencing this post. Note that it ends: "[Borgstrom] is showing his good hockey IQ and will have a good year."

He's fine, he's a prospect and it's a process - and he has repeatedly shown that he can dominate games, just hasn't done it consistently yet. I think it's mostly about tempering expectations of people who had him in the lineup on day one and were almost outraged to see him in the AHL. Still fully expect him to be a huge part of the Panthers in a couple years.

There's also the fact that expectations are higher for Borgstrom… and maybe that’s unfair, but that’s how it is. Like, if it was a kid like Bajkov or Ang putting up these numbers in their first AHL season, we’d be ecstatic, gushing about their huge potential and we wouldn’t care if it’s mostly PP points or if they are “not physical enough”. With Borgstrom we already know he has that potential. This is a guy who has repeatedly been ranked as a top ten NHL prospect – so if he doesn’t become at least a 60 point 2C, I’ll be disappointed. I don’t have anything near these expectations for any of our other AHL skaters - if we can get one or two third liners or a n.4 defenceman out of them, I'll be very happy.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I think we need to remember that Borgstrom was essentially a project when we drafted him. He had that ridiculous growth spurt and was playing primarily in junior leagues prior to going to Denver. In Denver, he only played 2 full seasons (77 games total, so maybe not even) of college hockey. We need to have a bit of patience with him. This is his first look at professional hockey playing against a bunch of guys the same size or bigger than him, plus there's the speed factor as well. I honestly don't think he'll come up and turn our season around, so might as well just let him play a tonne of minutes and hopefully next season he's ready to take a spot on the main roster.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Watched the same game today vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penquins. Most of the game was 5 on 5 with WBS owning the majority of puck possession. Third Period was the best period for Spr. Monty made some awesome saves rescuing a few D miscues. Borgie has a good shot and did ring a couple shots off the pipes. Borgie also lost possession of the puck several times in this game which has happened in previous games. It may just be his confidence right now and I think more continuity with his teammates will make this issue go away. He doesn't look like a "slumpster" (?) to me, just a young guy trying to figure out how to play the game in this new environment. Staying in the AHL is likely a better place to figure this out.
What did the shootout goals look like? Were they snipes or would another goalie have made the difference for Springfield?
Don't spare any detail!

toko77

Dec 3, 2018
What did the shootout goals look like? Were they snipes or would another goalie have made the difference for Springfield?
Don't spare any detail!

If I remember correctly, all goals were snipes not dekes. Borgie's goal was the same caliber of "snipeness". (Just glad it wasn't me in goal...)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If I remember correctly, all goals were snipes not dekes. Borgie's goal was the same caliber of "snipeness". (Just glad it wasn't me in goal...)
Good. I'd have been a tad bit alarmed if they were dekes, but snipes have always been more reasonable than dekes on a breakaway to me. Thank you~!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Schutz with yet another goal at the WJC U20 (Division 1A) as Germany wins 5-1. He has four points (2+2) in four games, tied for third on the team behind only Bokk and Seider. Not bad considering he just returned from an injury. Wonder where he'll play after the U20... seems he's been kinda bouncing around low-end men's leagues this year.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Schutz with yet another goal at the WJC U20 (Division 1A) as Germany wins 5-1. He has four points (2+2) in four games, tied for third on the team behind only Bokk and Seider. Not bad considering he just returned from an injury. Wonder where he'll play after the U20... seems he's been kinda bouncing around low-end men's leagues this year.

Doesn´t matter Half-Final CHL Red Bull Salzburg vs Red Bull Munich, so no matter on which of the 2 Clubs he will join. he will play 2 games against the other Team.
He started in Munich was send then to Salzburg and there in the junior team as far i know. So they will decide junior or mature Team rest of the Season.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Saw that. See ya Shumakov, we hardly knew ya.
Doesn´t matter Half-Final CHL Red Bull Salzburg vs Red Bull Munich, so no matter on which of the 2 Clubs he will join. he will play 2 games against the other Team.
He started in Munich was send then to Salzburg and there in the junior team as far i know. So they will decide junior or mature Team rest of the Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->