Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I was just reading through the Athletic interview with Tim Army, and he had high praise for Bitten (acquired for Olofsson), Belpedio and Shaw. Hard to tell if that means "real NHL potential" or what, but good to note.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was just reading through the Athletic interview with Tim Army, and he had high praise for Bitten (acquired for Olofsson), Belpedio and Shaw. Hard to tell if that means "real NHL potential" or what, but good to note.
He is a great skater, apparently.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Small player, two bad knees... I’m not saying it’s impossible for him to become a player for us, but there is certainly a lot working against him.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Small player, two bad knees... I’m not saying it’s impossible for him to become a player for us, but there is certainly a lot working against him.
Calling them bad knees might not be accurate. ACL tears tend to be fluky. If the only major damage was to the ligament then once it's repaired and rehabbed it's not an ongoing issue. After I had mine repaired and rehabbed the knee that was repaired was my good knee. Always feels stronger than even the knee that didn't have issues.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Calling them bad knees might not be accurate. ACL tears tend to be fluky. If the only major damage was to the ligament then once it's repaired and rehabbed it's not an ongoing issue. After I had mine repaired and rehabbed the knee that was repaired was my good knee. Always feels stronger than even the knee that didn't have issues.
This is his 3rd year in a row tearing an ACL

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
anybody have any thoughts on our prospect pool? after kaprizov my 2 favs are sokolov & khovanov. they both had decent seasons and i expect both will improve / take the next step next season. dewar & menell were pleasant surprises. i still think its funny simon Johansson had more points than filip Johansson. kahkonen played very well in iowa. anybody impress you? whose your top 10?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
anybody have any thoughts on our prospect pool? after kaprizov my 2 favs are sokolov & khovanov. they both had decent seasons and i expect both will improve / take the next step next season. dewar & menell were pleasant surprises. i still think its funny simon Johansson had more points than filip Johansson. kahkonen played very well in iowa. anybody impress you? whose your top 10?

Simon Johansson is almost a year older than Filip Johansson. I don't think his 11 points are too impressive. FJ may play for Iowa next season, SJ will likely be in Sweden.

Kaprizov isn't really showing much development - how could he. No question he's the top prospect but one more year in Russia is just one more year he spends playing against average opposition rather than the world's best. Kind of a waste.

Would like to see Kahkonen get a heavier work load next season - I assume that's the plan.

Looking forward to seeing Sturm in camp, and seeing what Dewar, Lodnia, and other young guys can do as full-time pros.

Damien Giroux had a great playoff run too.

The state of the defense is poor. They actually might need to draft a goalie (Spencer Knight at 12 should be discussed). And a lot of other prospects were pretty mediocre - what else is new.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They actually might need to draft a goalie (Spencer Knight at 12 should be discussed).

With the lack of high end talent we have in our pool and the volatility of goalies in the NHL? No it shouldn’t.

Reactions: 2Pair

P10p

May 15, 2012
Didn't notice but FJ went 3pts in 4gp for the under-19 internationals, not much bit its the first sign of a pulse i've noticed from him lol

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Didn't notice but FJ went 3pts in 4gp for the under-19 internationals, not much bit its the first sign of a pulse i've noticed from him lol
I'm very curious to see how he and the rest of Leksands do under a new coach and GM in a higher league next year. I have some hope that it was just a bad situation overall last year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
So with our #12th pick, our top prospects would be:

1 . Kaps
2. Newhook/Podz/Krebs/Caufield/Kaliyev
3. Khovy
4. ENTER 2ND ROUND PICK 2019
5. Dewar
6. Johansson

This is off the top of my head.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
1) Kaprizov
2) 12oa
3) Kahkonen
4) Khovanov
5) Dewar
6) Belpedio
7) Sokolov
8) Johansson
9) Mennell
10) 42oa

That’s how I’d rank it, assuming we don’t reach at 12oa. 4-10 are pretty interchangeable so I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into that order, and I put our second round pick at 10 for now because I don’t know who it will be but I would venture a guess that they’ll slot in somewhere from 4-10 when we figure it out.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm pretty intrigued by Menell's AHL numbers. I might actually have him in the top 5.

Certainly is promising. I don’t think any of the guys aside from Kaprizov have really done anything to definitely separate themselves from the rest of the guys as of yet. Kahkonen included, but I just feel more confident in him than the rest for some reason.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Certainly is promising. I don’t think any of the guys aside from Kaprizov have really done anything to definitely separate themselves from the rest of the guys as of yet. Kahkonen included, but I just feel more confident in him than the rest for some reason.

Kaprizov
Dewar
Khovanov
Menell
Kahkkonen

This is probably my top 5 pre-2019 draft, with everybody after Kaprizov being pretty darn close, as you say. Sokolov isn't on the list, but he's probably still the biggest wildcard.

Reactions: 2Pair and Nsjohnson

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Best season from the class of 2018 might belong to Damien Giroux, who probably deserves more attention. (Though on a personal level only Nick Swaney can put two-time national champion on his resume.)

Not sure if everyone takes into account what a strange class - Filip Johansson aside - it was though: four guys from 2018 are older than Ivan Lodnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad