Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I get the point but how many Greenway sized forwards are there in the league?

I know this was rhetorical, but I got curious.

This season, regular NHL forwards at Greenway's size (he's tied for tallest in the NHL among forwards):
Jordan Greenway (of course), Brian Boyle, Martin Hanzal, Nick Bjugstad and Michael Rasmussen.

Worth note is that Logan Brown and Timothy Gettinger played games at that height, but were not regulars. Dropping down one inch adds eight more forwards to the list. Dropping down another inch adds another 23 forwards. So I guess the answer is that there aren't many at that exact size, but there are a good amount just a bit smaller.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I know this was rhetorical, but I got curious.

This season, regular NHL forwards at Greenway's size (he's tied for tallest in the NHL among forwards):
Jordan Greenway (of course), Brian Boyle, Martin Hanzal, Nick Bjugstad and Michael Rasmussen.

Worth note is that Logan Brown and Timothy Gettinger played games at that height, but were not regulars. Dropping down one inch adds eight more forwards to the list. Dropping down another inch adds another 23 forwards. So I guess the answer is that there aren't many at that exact size, but there are a good amount just a bit smaller.

So, not that many. And to add to that, we have been seeing a trend to smaller more mobile dmen. Speaks for the fact that small size shoudnt be much if at all a deterrant.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So, not that many. And to add to that, we have been seeing a trend to smaller more mobile dmen. Speaks for the fact that small size shoudnt be much if at all a deterrant.

I would say 1 per team isn't an insignificant amount, but choosing Greenway, who may be the tallest forward in the NHL is clearly choosing an outlier. That I definitely agree on.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Justin Brazeau, anyone seen this kid play? looks like a monster and wanting to play right away. easily can slot him into our top 9 ahead of aberg at RW.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I mean I'm all for giving him a shot. The dude scored 60 this year even though he was 20+. People say his skating is atrocious apparently. I wouldn't mind getting in the mix for him, but I don't expect him to be anything super special. Just my uneducated thoughts I guess. Hoping for the best for the guy, and maybe he'll fulfill a dream of playing in the NHL.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I mean I'm all for giving him a shot. The dude scored 60 this year even though he was 20+. People say his skating is atrocious apparently. I wouldn't mind getting in the mix for him, but I don't expect him to be anything super special. Just my uneducated thoughts I guess. Hoping for the best for the guy, and maybe he'll fulfill a dream of playing in the NHL.
the video i saw his skating isnt atrocious. by no means is he gonna look like zucker but for a 6'5 kid he has decent foot speed. bottom 6 role for him wouldnt suck.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
the video i saw his skating isnt atrocious. by no means is he gonna look like zucker but for a 6'5 kid he has decent foot speed. bottom 6 role for him wouldnt suck.
Understandable, I was just saying that based on what I've read so far. I'm not against trying to sign him by any means. Could be the big body we'd want in a bottom 6 role like you're saying.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Understandable, I was just saying that based on what I've read so far. I'm not against trying to sign him by any means. Could be the big body we'd want in a bottom 6 role like you're saying.
very few videos on him but i hope we snag him. would be an interesting combo of him and greenway on a line together.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Justin Brazeau, anyone seen this kid play? looks like a monster and wanting to play right away. easily can slot him into our top 9 ahead of aberg at RW.
I'd sign and play him for the wild. If he sucks it helps the tank. Nothing to lose really.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd go to the store and buy a bag of pucks if it meant we could get rid of Aberg.
Stop, Talon. No need! His contract is up at the end of the season. No need to buy pucks!

Any truth to the rumour that he and Rask are getting shot out of a cannon before opening night next season?

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Does anyone remember the hype surrounding Adam Gilmour? I just realized he never did anything - ANYTHING at all in the AHL. Just goes to show that even decent prospects sometimes don't amount to squat.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone remember the hype surrounding Adam Gilmour? I just realized he never did anything - ANYTHING at all in the AHL. Just goes to show that even decent prospects sometimes don't amount to squat.
Not sure I'd use the word hype (maybe "hope"), but it's a valid point. Players have to keep developing for them to turn from great prospects into great (or even reasonable) pros. For me the writing seemed to be on the wall after his junior season at BC. He'd seemed to have plateaued. I think he's just about the same player today as he was in his sophomore year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not sure I'd use the word hype (maybe "hope"), but it's a valid point. Players have to keep developing for them to turn from great prospects into great (or even reasonable) pros. For me the writing seemed to be on the wall after his junior season at BC. He'd seemed to have plateaued. I think he's just about the same player today as he was in his sophomore year.

He was definitely hyped because of the seasons he had at Boston College, especially for a fourth round pick. He had a reasonable high ceiling, but could never reach it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He was definitely hyped because of the seasons he had at Boston College, especially for a fourth round pick. He had a reasonable high ceiling, but could never reach it.

If by seasons he had at BC you mean 3 pretty average seasons, and by reasonably high ceiling you mean some thought he could be a bottom 6 center?

He was never hyped by any standards other than people thinking he might actually make the NHL.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Damien Giroux scores his 5th goal in 5 playoff games as Saginaw beats SSM 4-1 in the 1st game best out of 7.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If by seasons he had at BC you mean 3 pretty average seasons, and by reasonably high ceiling you mean some thought he could be a bottom 6 center?

He was never hyped by any standards other than people thinking he might actually make the NHL.

A lot of fans were worried that the Wild wouldn't sign him and he'd become a free agent, hence the hype. Some were thinking he'd be the next Haula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad