Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
We'll follow the HF definition for what defines a prospect:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

See Elite Prospects here for updated Wild Prospects.

Stats, heights, weights, and ages are per Elite Prospects as of 11/17/2017

Last edited:
Reactions: thestonedkoala

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Stezka will be in Europe: Bili Tygri Liberec of the Czech League. I don't think there's much chance JEE will be.

Soucy in the AHL/ECHL.

Brassart is gone.

Not sure where Bouramman will be playing but he can play pro, don't think he's likely to be in the OHL.

Kunin should be AHL.

Can probably delete De Jong.

Can delete Ryan Carter.

Quoting this from the previous thread so I don't forget. :D

I can update after work (unless another mod beats me).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for firing it up! I went through and made some of those easy changes.

Is it weird that Stezka is going back over to Europe? Maybe it's a misconception, but I feel like if a player is in America, and goes back overseas, he's not coming back.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thanks for firing it up! I went through and made some of those easy changes.

Is it weird that Stezka is going back over to Europe? Maybe it's a misconception, but I feel like if a player is in America, and goes back overseas, he's not coming back.

It seems like it'd be a little different for goalies where the number of starter slots is more limited. I'm not super familiar with Stezka's situation, though.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm speculating but the fact is it's not easy to qualify academically for college. Slots are limited too, so despite Stezka's great showing last season - especially in the playoffs - there might not have been an opening for him in Divison 1. Playing some pro hockey won't hurt his chances for future North American exposure. Even if the league is lesser competition, he's still testing himself against former NHLers and other talents and growing personally. One never knows with goalies anyhow. I imagine he'll be a strict backup next season though, unless he really advances his game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A minor thing. Quad City isn't the Wild's ECHL team anymore (Vegas).

It's the Rapid City Rush.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm speculating but the fact is it's not easy to qualify academically for college. Slots are limited too, so despite Stezka's great showing last season - especially in the playoffs - there might not have been an opening for him in Divison 1. Playing some pro hockey won't hurt his chances for future North American exposure. Even if the league is lesser competition, he's still testing himself against former NHLers and other talents and growing personally. One never knows with goalies anyhow. I imagine he'll be a strict backup next season though, unless he really advances his game.

Unless he doesn't get minutes with Roman Will ahead of him.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
whats up with all these 5'8" & 5'9" guys? i dont mind one if hes exceptional but jeez i dont want to become the habs team smurf part deux!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
whats up with all these 5'8" & 5'9" guys? i dont mind one if hes exceptional but jeez i dont want to become the habs team smurf part deux!

I remember seeing an article recently saying it's actually a league-wide trend. Skill over size.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They are very skilled when in doubt Skill>Size

Very skilled yes, like Johnny Gaudreau or Mats Zuccarello skilled. These guys are less skilled than Schroeder. And he's been a fringe NHL player.

I'll take Kurtis Gabriel over everyone of them in the NHL. Except maybe Shaw because I haven't seen enough of him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Very skilled yes, like Johnny Gaudreau or Mats Zuccarello skilled. These guys are less skilled than Schroeder. And he's been a fringe NHL player.

I'll take Kurtis Gabriel over everyone of them in the NHL. Except maybe Shaw because I haven't seen enough of him.

I wouldn't I think size is the most overrated part of this sport.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

How do you know there less skilled than Schroeder? All there scouting reports of the word skilled in them.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How do you know there less skilled than Schroeder? All there scouting reports of the word skilled in them.

Kloos was at UM and saw plenty of him. He's not a NHL player imo, he'd be better off in Europe.

Anas had a year in Iowa and wasn't impressive: 12g/16a in 66 games. Schroeder was 6g/12a in 25 Iowa games. He hasn't impressed me any of the few times I've seen him.

Salituro was an overager in the OHL last year and didn't have impressive numbers. His 2 previous seasons were good numbers on weaker teams. He was traded 1-for-1 for Schroeder, so I'll give him even value.

Skilled is in almost every scouting report of small players (or any player that's on the draft radar). Speed or smarts is mentioned a lot also. But NHL d-men are also faster, smarter, bigger than what they've seen in college/Jrs. Past the first couple of rounds of draft picks a lot of the scouting reports look almost the same.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Size doesn't mean jack **** if guys 5'8 can skate circles around you or outsmart you. if you cannot skate at a certain level or have the IQ to make up for that then size is worthless. Thats why i don't see why we re-signed Gabriel... guy is slow as **** and clearly not very bright considering his off ice locker room fiasco. Kid is just not good, and cant use his size to make any sort of impact at the NHL level.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Size doesn't mean jack **** if guys 5'8 can skate circles around you or outsmart you. if you cannot skate at a certain level or have the IQ to make up for that then size is worthless. Thats why i don't see why we re-signed Gabriel... guy is slow as **** and clearly not very bright considering his off ice locker room fiasco. Kid is just not good, and cant use his size to make any sort of impact at the NHL level.

Yep!

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Kind of odd to say when BB specifically mentioned his impact in a couple of his post game pressers at the start of the Wild's "streak". He played the role of a momentum shifter on the 4th line in at least 4 of his NHL games. Fight win or lose, or a big hit, and the Wild came out playing like a bigger team. Isn't that the point of an energy line, to give the team some jump?

But he was such a detriment to the team they lost 3 (1 in regulation, 1 in OT and 1 in a SO) games when he played. 10-1-2 was the team's record with him on the ice. His 1.7 GA/60 is right on par with the rest of the 4th line callups.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
FYI:
2:30pm (CST) tomorrow is the first dev camp scrimmage. 2@30 min running time halves and it'll be streamed on wild.com (according to the website). Gate 1 opens at 2pm (30 mins prior).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're kidding yourself if you think having an extra 5" and 50 lbs. doesn't make a difference. I'm not talking about Gabriel here, but a guy with, say, Coyle's skills who is 5'10" and 180. He is not going to be able to hold up in the long run against Coyle.

You take the smaller, weaker guy only if he is clearly more skilled, and even then you have to pay attention to the mix that you have on your team. This isn't Ringette.

You don't pick big guys just because they are big. That is dumb. But to deny that size/strength/toughness is part of a desirable package in a hockey player is also dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->