2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Should use % of cap space allocated to a player when signed and not the nominal dollar value figure, folks.

If the ceiling goes up slightly to, say, $82m for next season, $9.5m for Point would be proportional to the $7.5m slice (11.6%) Stamkos commanded in his first post-ELC season whereas with no increase in the ceiling, $9.2m would be equivalent.

It’s very likely, obviously, Point will sign for a term that differs from the length (5 seasons) Stamkos received on his second contract but, whatever the length, Point commanding more than Kucherov got last summer (Kucherov’s $9.5m = 11.9% of a $79.5m limit, which translates to $9.9m with an $82.5m ceiling) seems very far-fetched.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Should use % of cap space allocated to a player when signed and not the nominal dollar value figure, folks.

If the ceiling goes up slightly to, say, $82m for next season, $9.5m for Point would be proportional to the $7.5m slice (11.6%) Stamkos commanded in his first post-ELC season whereas with no increase in the ceiling, $9.2m would be equivalent.

It’s very likely, obviously, Point will sign for a term that differs from the length (5 seasons) Stamkos received on his second contract but, whatever the length, Point commanding more than Kucherov got last summer (Kucherov’s $9.5m = 11.9% of a $79.5m limit, which translates to $9.9m with an $82.5m ceiling) seems very far-fetched.

I'll use whatever I want to to get my point across. Let me know when Point has 50 goals, or even 40. Let me know when he gets 90+ points. Point is having a great year but boy this kid is getting seriously overrated and the numbers thrown around are ridiculous. I'm not even a Stamkos fan, there's just no way Point should be sniffing his type of money just yet.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Kucherov nearly was a Conn Smythe winner twice and didn't get close to 10.5 his first deal and still not 10.5 on his second. Point will be lucky to get Stamkos money.
I agree. Was a bit of hyperbole. But basically people are prematurely trying to give him more than he's even asking for, and we only need to start thinking that crazy if we actually win a Cup, lol.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I'll use whatever I want to to get my point across. Let me know when Point has 50 goals, or even 40. Let me know when he gets 90+ points. Point is having a great year but boy this kid is getting seriously overrated and the numbers thrown around are ridiculous. I'm not even a Stamkos fan, there's just no way Point should be sniffing his type of money just yet.
Agreed I don't think he should be coming close to 10.5 yet don't get me wrong though he is a great player and one of our best if not our best. I do feel like Point might slow down a little and finish in the mid 70s currently projected for 103 points. I would be surprised if he gets into the high 90s.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Does anyone here feel like Point could take more money than Stamkos? Because even though he is the better player out of the two i highly doubt he himself feels like he deserves more money than Stamkos. So if we sign him long term it will probably be between 7-8 million.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Does anyone here feel like Point could take more money than Stamkos? Because even though he is the better player out of the two i highly doubt he himself feels like he deserves more money than Stamkos. So if we sign him long term it will probably be between 7-8 million.

He deserves more than Stammer but he will not. Good for us.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos got $7.5M in 2012 after his entry contract. And $8.5M after that in 2017.

The salary cap is expected to rise again so prorated to today's cap limits and market value Point sure could get/demand more than $7.5M provided he matches Stamkos' production at the time of his first big contract. In their first years they're pretty even, second year Stamkos destroys Point, third year so far Point is way ahead but it's only been 27 games so far.

Stamkos:
Year
G Ø
P Ø
Goals
2009​
0.29​
0.58​
23​
46​
79​
2010​
0.62​
1.16​
51​
95​
82​
2011​
0.54​
1.11​
45​
91​
82​
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Point
:
Year
G Ø
P Ø
Goals
2017​
0.26​
0.59​
18​
40​
68​
2018​
0.39​
0.80​
32​
66​
82​
2019*​
0.70​
1.26​
19​
34​
27​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Let me know when Point has 50 goals, or even 40. Let me know when he gets 90+ points. Point is having a great year but boy this kid is getting seriously overrated and the numbers thrown around are ridiculous. I'm not even a Stamkos fan, there's just no way Point should be sniffing his type of money just yet.

I wasn’t endorsing the guesstimates you find so ridiculous but rather showing a realistic upper bound to the range of possibile outcomes.

Personally, I’m expecting Point will agree to a bridge deal that approximates the cap % in the first season of Kucherov’s second contract, so around 5m-$5.5m.

However, if BriseBois decides to depart from the pattern set by Yzerman and instead negotiate a long-term deal, buying a UFA year or two would very likely put him at or close to Stamkos territory (in terms of nominal cap hit), regardless of how you rate Point’s first few seasons against Stamkos’.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Wouldnt the deal that Nylander got from the Leafs be a good guide as to expectations of what Point may get?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
vbr7c6lxu2221.jpg

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Was just looking at the standings. The Lightning and Toronto are tied to lead the NHL at +28. It’s interesting to me that the Lightning have scored ten more goals than the Maple Leafs and Toronto has given up 10 fewer. No Vassy has been a big factor obviously, but the general consensus, is that Tampa’s Dcore is our biggest advantage over Toronto. I agree with that position as well.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Obviously our goal difference would be a lot better with Vasy. We just beat Buffalo and Florida 5-4, both of which would've been like 5-1 games with Vasy.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Their goalie is super red hot right now too. I don't care too much, we're #1 again in the standings. Regular season is just a means to get into the big boys season (playoffs). Let them survive a playoff series first before we start worrying. Their young and sure as hell talented team has proven nothing so far come playoffs. And especially their defense corp.

No disrispec to Toronto but they don't scare me at all. They wouldn't be the first team to dominate the regular season only to falter in the 1st round again.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Their goalie is super red hot right now too. I don't care too much, we're #1 again in the standings. Regular season is just a means to get into the big boys season (playoffs). Let them survive a playoff series first before we start worrying. Their young and sure as hell talented team has proven nothing so far come playoffs. And especially their defense corp.

No disrispec to Toronto but they don't scare me at all. They wouldn't be the first team to dominate the regular season only to falter in the 1st round again.

Same. Just throw the Point-Kucherov tandem out there with Hedman or McDonagh against Marner-Mathews and it's going to be Boston redux. God help them if Gourde was added to that line too. Tavares-Nylander get Palat and Johnson with probably Stamkos.

They're great players but after seeing us singlehandedly shutdown the best line in hockey in Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak I have no reason to believe a motivated Lightning team aren't going to do their best impression of a bear tearing a beehive to shreds not giving a shit how many times it's stung

Reactions: JDBolt

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
So with Point and Kuch now playing together along with TJ the Lightning are playing it’s two best forwards together. Obviously it’s working.

I’m still wondering who the best linemates are for Stammer to really get the second line going. He and Guorde don’t seem to click. I’d suggest Miller and Palat but can either play RW?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
So with Point and Kuch now playing together along with TJ the Lightning are playing it’s two best forwards together. Obviously it’s working.

I’m still wondering who the best linemates are for Stammer to really get the second line going. He and Guorde don’t seem to click. I’d suggest Miller and Palat but can either play RW?

I’d like to see:

Miller - Point - Kuch
Palat - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Johnson - Gourde
Paquette - Cirelli- Callahan

Also, I said it last season and I’m going to say it again. This is not the best lineup the Lightning are going to field. I’d replace Callahan with NHL ready Stephens. Killorn with NHL ready Katchouk. And on the defense replace third pairing LHD with Sergachev. Replace Girardi with NHL ready Foote. Replace Sergachev on the right side with Cernak as examples.

This team could / will find another gear in the next few years.

Also, Cernak has surpassed Girardi. By end of season want to see:

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I’d like to see:

Miller - Point - Kuch
Palat - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Johnson - Gourde
Paquette - Cirelli- Callahan

Also, I said it last season and I’m going to say it again. This is not the best lineup the Lightning are going to field. I’d replace Callahan with NHL ready Stephens. Killorn with NHL ready Katchouk. And on the defense replace third pairing LHD with Sergachev. Replace Girardi with NHL ready Foote. Replace Sergachev on the right side with Cernak as examples.

This team could / will find another gear in the next few years.

Also, Cernak has surpassed Girardi. By end of season want to see:

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Johnson is done at center with us. He hasn't played a game there this year and played like only 25% there last year. Cirelli isn't producing as much as you'd hope for a 3C but his hustle and energy are top notch. Stephens isn't NHL ready, he can't stay healthy this year, he needs to show more before being considered a callup. Katchouk also isn't NHL ready, still struggling some in the AHL, he needs a full year + down there. Foote isn't ready as well. Unless you're talking about next season all these kids won't make us better this season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Johnson is done at center with us. He hasn't played a game there this year and played like only 25% there last year. Cirelli isn't producing as much as you'd hope for a 3C but his hustle and energy are top notch. Stephens isn't NHL ready, he can't stay healthy this year, he needs to show more before being considered a callup. Katchouk also isn't NHL ready, still struggling some in the AHL, he needs a full year + down there. Foote isn't ready as well. Unless you're talking about next season all these kids won't make us better this season.

Yeah I'm not seeing it either, because by the time those kids hit their stride as NHLer's most of our current group will be into their 30's. Our lineup right now has nearly everyone at their physical peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad