2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
After games I usually go to the opponents sub forums to see what they thought of us. Besides rightful comments like “wow they’re stacked” or “so much talent” most of the time I see them complain how our team is interfering a lot, clutch-and-grab, Babcock level or even borderline dirty. I’m not sure we’re ‘dirtier’ than your average NHL team or getting away with more no-calls. Or is it my homer glasses that prevent me from an objective take on this? What y’all think?

We don't do much with the hands, but we definitely ride the line with interference away from the play. If the league isn't going to call it than you really have to take advantage of the gray areas. I know against Anaheim it almost seemed necessary to create seams to skate into

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We don't do much with the hands, but we definitely ride the line with interference away from the play. If the league isn't going to call it than you really have to take advantage of the gray areas. I know against Anaheim it almost seemed necessary to create seams to skate into
We set a lot of moving picks. But it's definitely not "interference" and I don't think that shit was called even in 2005.

What's the other one... I think in the NZ I hear the complaints a lot but I think some of them are bunk. We just clog the hell out of the blue line. It's certainly not one of those things where we get passes on a type of play and other teams get called on it. And I think people forget about what those RW teams got away with.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I find it odd how teams call us dirty but in a different post call us soft. So which one are we? Is it possible to be dirty and soft? I think we are a physical team aren't we pretty high in the league in total hits? However we aren't a huge team either and aren't going to match a top physical team. Maybe that makes us soft.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We set a lot of moving picks. But it's definitely not "interference" and I don't think that **** was called even in 2005.

What's the other one... I think in the NZ I hear the complaints a lot but I think some of them are bunk. We just clog the hell out of the blue line. It's certainly not one of those things where we get passes on a type of play and other teams get called on it. And I think people forget about what those RW teams got away with.

At the same time, we do have a lot of guys with good, clean reputations. And I think there are benefits to that. I don't mind it. I think we get the benefit of the occasional doubt. I don't think that happened last night or anything. It's more like, when Kucherov accidentally boards somebody, which happened twice I believe, the league doesn't step in because they know that's not his game. And Callahan definitely gets some calls other guys don't get, but that's a skill. :p

And yeah, those Babcock Redwings were like old school Devils teams. You could actually see them, even guys like Zetterberg, giving a non-puck carrier a tug on the jersey, just to keep them a step behind the play. Frustrating to watch, and I still hope that kind of thing gets called, but it taught us to get our nose dirty in the playoffs.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I find it odd how teams call us dirty but in a different post call us soft. So which one are we? Is it possible to be dirty and soft? I think we are a physical team aren't we pretty high in the league in total hits? However we aren't a huge team either and aren't going to match a top physical team. Maybe that makes us soft.
We can both. Dirty doesn't have to mean cheap shots or hits. Chicken winging someone is dirty in my opinion.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Speculation that we were scouting Martinez while in LA.

I like Martinez, think he is a good fit. But we would have to move too many pieces to get him in. Cap + Roster D + Prospect/Pick. Doesn't seems reasonable.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Lightning is called soft because we don't have anyone that can fight at the heavyweight bracket. But team is not soft ... the whole team hits. Well except for Point, Killorn, and Johnson. It's a physical team but not a fighting team. I've seen the calls that we are dirty from certain fan bases but can't think of any players that truly would qualify as actually being one. It's generally butthurt fans.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Speculation that we were scouting Martinez while in LA.

I like Martinez, think he is a good fit. But we would have to move too many pieces to get him in. Cap + Roster D + Prospect/Pick. Doesn't seems reasonable.

Just resign Stralman and move a forward in the off-season, the D is more than fine currently.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We set a lot of moving picks. But it's definitely not "interference" and I don't think that **** was called even in 2005.

I've seen it called a lot more recently than 2005, one of those areas that is left to the ref's discretion and is really lame when it is called, because it happens a ton in every hockey game and the Lightning are good at it.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
The next mini road trip should be the opportunities for Dom to get his confidence back.
I do think he needs help from the guys in front of him though. Hope they can together prepare for the tougher opponents we'll meet afterward at home!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I feel like people see guys like Johnson annoying their defenders and just project that onto the whole team. They don't like that our little guys don't just cry and curl up in a little ball so they just assume they are dirty pricks.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not really. The kid has less than 50 games played as a pro and isn't a high end prospect. Sure you could throw him in there and maybe he stands on his head but he needs more time. Like I said earlier Pasquale hasn't played in 2 weeks, he needs some starts. They are a 1a/b tandem, neither is the clear cut #1 right now. Ingram still needs to take that spot in the AHL, the last two weeks he's starting to show that and he belongs down there continuing that development. Ideally he takes the #1 job the rest of the year and has a strong playoffs, then next season he gets his callup if we have an injury to show if he's backup material in the NHL. With Vasilevskey and Domingue signed for next year he doesn't need to get NHL starts to show what he has just yet. Let him dominate the AHL first.

Correct.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nylander 6 x 6.9

I do think that drives Point's price up. There's a big gap between those two.

Sure, if we want to sign Point for 6 years right now. No sense in signing him to that type of deal unless we want him to walk before hesh 30. Bridge him and keep him into his 30's and get him for all his best years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sure, if we want to sign Point for 6 years right now. No sense in signing him to that type of deal unless we want him to walk before hesh 30. Bridge him and keep him into his 30's and get him for all his best years.

There are two sides to the negotiation though. Point could easily look around the league and ask to be paid in kind.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Po

Point is getting $10.5 per year easily

:p I don't think it'll be that crazy. But if you've got Nylander getting 6.9, and then Matthews getting 10-11, and Marner getting... 9? I think Point's gonna take that into consideration.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Point will get $10.5 if he's Conn Smythe winner. I won't mind that problem.

Kucherov nearly was a Conn Smythe winner twice and didn't get close to 10.5 his first deal and still not 10.5 on his second. Point will be lucky to get Stamkos money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad