2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Johnson is done at center with us. He hasn't played a game there this year and played like only 25% there last year. Cirelli isn't producing as much as you'd hope for a 3C but his hustle and energy are top notch. Stephens isn't NHL ready, he can't stay healthy this year, he needs to show more before being considered a callup. Katchouk also isn't NHL ready, still struggling some in the AHL, he needs a full year + down there. Foote isn't ready as well. Unless you're talking about next season all these kids won't make us better this season.

Didn't we reunite the triplet line earlier this year before Palat went down?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't we reunite the triplet line earlier this year before Palat went down?

Yeah, but only for 3-4 games.

Johnson's defensive game even seems better as a winger. You can see him making responsible plays almost every shift. With Point and Kuch he's almost always the guy covering for a pinching D, or the first guy back into our zone.

This is as close to all cylinders as we could hope for. ...Well, except the goalie situation.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
wild fan on vacation stumbled by a bolts viewing party on st pete beach , that was really cool. how often do they do that? who thought of that? crazy fun. cheers
Fairly often. I wanna say at least once a month?

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
wild fan on vacation stumbled by a bolts viewing party on st pete beach , that was really cool. how often do they do that? who thought of that? crazy fun. cheers

Was it at Tradewinds? I haven't been out there for one yet, but this should be nice weather for it. Pretty sure they have been doing it for a few years now.
They host them at different places throughout the year. I usually go when they do it in Lakewood Ranch (nice upscale mini-downtown /main street type of atmosphere)

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
I've seen the opponent's fan saying we rely on our (hot) PP so in a playoff where the reffs don't gift you a PP we will fail.

Welp, I was actually gonna ask if any of you guys felt that way anyway. Me? no. At least not yet.
e194685109fb6fe5c8de6ee288063a7b-full.jpg

I wish they had the ES goal ratio but you get an idea here. It's true we get more PP than the average but we are the best (or the 2nd or so) in the league in the ES goal. That Ottawa team is ranked 23rd in the standings now coz they give up the most goals.

As long as we also focus on good D, I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I've seen the opponent's fan saying we rely on our (hot) PP so in a playoff where the reffs don't gift you a PP we will fail.

Welp, I was actually gonna ask if any of you guys felt that way anyway. Me? no. At least not yet.
e194685109fb6fe5c8de6ee288063a7b-full.jpg

I wish they had the ES goal ratio but you get an idea here. It's true we get more PP than the average but we are the best (or the 2nd or so) in the league in the ES goal. That Ottawa team is ranked 23rd in the standing now coz they give up the most goals.

As long as we also focus on good D, I'm not too worried.
Let them talk, they're just grasping at straws. Cap crunch, relying on powerplay, not physical enough, Stamkos is broken, Kucherov a diva (and a goon), refs siding with us, yadda yadda. Despite all that we sit comfortably at #1 without our main goaltender and without a top-4 defenseman (Hedman then Stralman) and have been there for most of the season (and for several years now). Clearly just luck.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Let them talk, they're just grasping at straws. Cap crunch, relying on powerplay, not physical enough, Stamkos is broken, Kucherov a diva (and a goon), refs siding with us, yadda yadda. Despite all that we sit comfortably at #1 without our main goaltender and without a top-4 defenseman (Hedman then Stralman) and have been there for most of the season (and for several years now). Clearly just luck.
I know. I made a wrong life choice by taking a look at the opponent's thread last game and not only did I see the parade of the blames on the calls, but I also saw this "Tampa only good thanks to their PP". My eyes and brain hurt a little. will never do that again.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Or how about "Can't win a cup," coming from fans of teams who, in some cases, haven't sniffed a second round in a generation.

Reactions: Hoek

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Or how about "Can't win a cup," coming from fans of teams who, in some cases, haven't sniffed a second round in a generation.
I've always found the choking thing kinda funny. Yeah, they have their points but some people make it seem like it would be better to lose in ihe first or second rounds rather than ECF. Just because we've made it that far we're chokers. People underestimate how much luck is involved in hockey compared to other sports.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
31 Takes: Tampa Bay Lightning quietly running away with the league

It’s been an interesting NHL season to date, with plenty of storylines to distract from the fact that the Tampa Bay Lightning are the best team in the league by a pretty wide margin.

They have the most wins and points in the league. They have the highest points percentage in the league. They have the sixth-best 5-on-5 possession numbers in the league, which is made even more impressive by the fact that they’ve had about 130 more minutes leading in their games than the next-closest team.

They have the best goal difference, and second-best expected-goal difference. They have an 11-4 record in the past month — and play a bad Rangers team at home tonight — while only one of those wins came in a shootout. They have the second-best power play. They have the eighth-best penalty kill.

This despite the fact that the play in a tough division, with a number of teams that got out to notably hot starts (Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal). And the fact that their All-Star goaltender and a high-end defender have both been missing for about a month, plus Victor Hedman, the reigning Norris Trophy winner, missed seven games earlier this season, while Ondrej Palat missed 16.

And yet, people don’t seem to be paying a particularly large amount of attention.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The 2015 draft thread on the main boards made me look over that draft order again.

We took Stephens over Aho, Dermott and Carlo. Could you imagine if we had both Aho and Point up for contracts this summer? Would both even develop to the same degree in the same system due to depth? Do we commit to McDonagh, Gourde knowing both are up for massive raises? Crazy to think about.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The 2015 draft thread on the maib boards made me look over that draft order again.

We took Stephens over Aho, Dermott and Carlo. Could you imagine if we had both Aho and Point up for contracts this summer? Would both even develop to the same degree in the same system due to depth? Do we commit to McDonagh, Gourde knowing both are up for massive raises? Crazy to think about.
Holy crap.... I love me some Aho but I'm almost glad it happened this way. There's no doubt... We're losing guys anyway and to think we'd have to part with Gourde is a kick in the pants

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He did say Yzerman continues to go to most Lightning games, which is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->