2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Here's a fun stat from 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning Situational | Hockey-Reference.com : Our record this year when our opponent scored first is 22-12-1. That's just nuts.

So we're averaging 1.29 standings points per game -- in just the games where we spotted the other guys a one-goal lead. Performing at that rate for a full season would still have us #3 in the standings; only Boston and Calgary (both have 107 points in 81 games) are performing at a better rate in all games this season.

And even when trailing after the first period, we're still comfortably over .500 -- 14-10-0.

Now of course when we're trailing after 2, we're only 9-12-0 -- but that's still a crazy stat. Take for example Boston and Calgary -- they're 3-17-2 and 8-21-3 when trailing after 2 respectively; those are much more "normal" numbers for good teams. Last year's President's Trophy winner (Nashville) was 5-15-5 when trailing after 2.

So if you've been sitting there thinking "wow, this regular season has been a blast", it really really has been, and this is a big part of the reason why. We've won 75% of our games overall, and 63% of our games even when we concede the first goal. And heck, even when we go into the third period trailing, we're still winning 43% of the time. In other words, the Lightning have made it very worth our while to stay tuned in every game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Here's a fun stat from 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning Situational | Hockey-Reference.com : Our record this year when our opponent scored first is 22-12-1. That's just nuts.

So we're averaging 1.29 standings points per game -- in just the games where we spotted the other guys a one-goal lead. Performing at that rate for a full season would still have us #3 in the standings; only Boston and Calgary (both have 107 points in 81 games) are performing at a better rate in all games this season.

And even when trailing after the first period, we're still comfortably over .500 -- 14-10-0.

Now of course when we're trailing after 2, we're only 9-12-0 -- but that's still a crazy stat. Take for example Boston and Calgary -- they're 3-17-2 and 8-21-3 when trailing after 2 respectively; those are much more "normal" numbers for good teams. Last year's President's Trophy winner (Nashville) was 5-15-5 when trailing after 2.

So if you've been sitting there thinking "wow, this regular season has been a blast", it really really has been, and this is a big part of the reason why. We've won 75% of our games overall, and 63% of our games even when we concede the first goal. And heck, even when we go into the third period trailing, we're still winning 43% of the time. In other words, the Lightning have made it very worth our while to stay tuned in every game.
BTW - our record when losing after two is like second all-time (behind the 81 Islanders I think - I hear that team was pretty good).

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Does anyone have stats for games where we've allowed the first two goals? I'm pretty sure we were like .500 at some point, although it was a small sample size.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
BTW - our record when losing after two is like second all-time (behind the 81 Islanders I think - I hear that team was pretty good).

I would believe that. 9-12 is a crazy number. Man, this team is fun.

And to all you youngsters: Enjoy this! I've been a sports fan for 35 years, and I've never seen one of my teams have a regular season like this. Heck, Tampa's major pro teams had never before been the best regular season team in a given season, much less be a team that's close to all-time greatness like this Lightning group.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

So he was a healthy scratch? This seems odd to me. Felt like Miller was having decent games lately, by the eye test, and he's not one of the usual suspects for a healthy scratch. Cooper trying to send some kind of message?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So he was a healthy scratch? This seems odd to me. Felt like Miller was having decent games lately, by the eye test, and he's not one of the usual suspects for a healthy scratch. Cooper trying to send some kind of message?

He was pretty fancy in the Ottawa game but so was everyone else and nothing really resulted in a danagerous turnover, could just be Cooper being Cooper, Miller doing a spin-o-rama pass = benched and Palat chipping a puck down the ice = extra PP time.

Miller on the 4th line is just stupid though, he has more to offer in the top-6 while Palat has been stagnant and is also capable of playing in the 4th line without hurting us.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
If Palat is in the top 6 in the playoffs I’m gonna lose my mind. It’s like Cooper wants us to play on hard mode.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If Palat is in the top 6 in the playoffs I’m gonna lose my mind. It’s like Cooper wants us to play on hard mode.
Dude - he's going to be in the top 6. He hasn't spent more than a few games out of it all season. Coop isn't changing that now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
All for sitting Paquette vs. Boston. You never know when he's gonna lose his mind and throw down with Chara.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Does anyone have stats for games where we've allowed the first two goals? I'm pretty sure we were like .500 at some point, although it was a small sample size.

Ask and ye shall receive. The team made it relevant in today's game, so the broadcast team gave the number 8-11 in games when we gave up the first two goals (including today's win).

That's frickin' nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoVel

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
God it's been such a ride. Process that we haven't lost back to back games in regulation since November. I don't even remember what a "low" feels like. Though I'm a simple fan I feel like I'm part of history. If we in the Cup I'm changing my username to "These Are The Days" in honor of our accomplishments. I say it a lot because it's true

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Scotty isn't allowed to say this when the Hawks are in. :p But he's secretly a Bolts fan.

We have at least two interesting ties to that 95-96 Wings team: Yzerman captained that team, built this one (with what's often, or at least used to be, called the Red Wings blueprint, i.e. draft draft draft); Bowman coached that RW team, watches every TB home game, and used to be seen occasionally taking games in with SFY.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
God it's been such a ride. Process that we haven't lost back to back games in regulation since November. I don't even remember what a "low" feels like. Though I'm a simple fan I feel like I'm part of history. If we in the Cup I'm changing my username to "These Are The Days" in honor of our accomplishments. I say it a lot because it's true
TheDaysOf 19

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
TheDaysOf 19

I had considered it but I think you rightfully have dibs on it if we win it all. AlwaysSunnyInTampa felt like the right name for the longest time until "These Are The Days" in the event of a Cup win. I'll likely change back to Sunny in due time

Fun fact. I'd have changed my name to 3.14Gigawatts over the summer if the damn system would have allowed for periods

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Scotty isn't allowed to say this when the Hawks are in. :p But he's secretly a Bolts fan.

We have at least two interesting ties to that 95-96 Wings team: Yzerman captained that team, built this one (with what's often, or at least used to be, called the Red Wings blueprint, i.e. draft draft draft); Bowman coached that RW team, watches every TB home game, and used to be seen occasionally taking games in with SFY.
Every game I’ve gone to this season at the lightning arena bowman has been up in the press box there I went to about 10 games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad