2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Some stats for this year -

Tampa Bay's PP finished at 28.2%, which is 10th all-time. All of the ones ahead were dynasties in the 70s/80s + the Cup winning Flames team of the 80s.

Tampa Bay's *combined* special teams was 113.2% (PK+PP%). Now, I need to double check this, but by my math that is SECOND ALL-TIME behind the 78-79 Habs.

62 Wins of course ties the all-time record.

128 points is fourth all-time behind the Red Wings + two of the 70s Habs teams.

Not bad.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Tampa Bay Lightning by the numbers: How bonkers was the 2018-19 season?
Some highlights
The Lightning have a 33.0 percent power-play percentage on the road, the highest since the NHL began tracking the stat in 1977.
They had a .600 points percentage when trailing after one period (15-10-0), which led the league, and were the only team over .500 in that situation this season. That's the highest percentage in 20 years.
They had a .429 points percentage when trailing after two periods this season (9-12-0). That's the best in the history of the NHL for an 82-game season. The next-best points percentage this season were the Flames, at .250.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Some stats for this year -

Tampa Bay's PP finished at 28.2%, which is 10th all-time. All of the ones ahead were dynasties in the 70s/80s + the Cup winning Flames team of the 80s.

Tampa Bay's *combined* special teams was 113.2% (PK+PP%). Now, I need to double check this, but by my math that is SECOND ALL-TIME behind the 78-79 Habs.

62 Wins of course ties the all-time record.

128 points is fourth all-time behind the Red Wings + two of the 70s Habs teams.

Not bad.

We should really appreciate this. I was a Wings fan as a kid and witnessed the 95-96 season. I honestly never thought I'd see anything like that again, especially after the salary cap came along. We really might never see anything like this again in our lifetimes, be it our team or some other team.

I know the cup is everything, but when it comes to enjoying a regular season, as a fan, it's pretty hard to beat what we witnessed this year.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
We should really appreciate this. I was a Wings fan as a kid and witnessed the 95-96 season. I honestly never thought I'd see anything like that again, especially after the salary cap came along. We really might never see anything like this again in our lifetimes, be it our team or some other team.

I know the cup is everything, but when it comes to enjoying a regular season, as a fan, it's pretty hard to beat what we witnessed this year.
What made you change allegiances?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What made you change allegiances?

I went to college and it coincided with Steve Yzerman's retirement. Didn't have a lot of time to watch hockey. I followed loosely. When I came back to it, around 2010 or so, the Wings team had an entirely different core than the one I grew up with. So it was hard for me to make that same "connection," so to speak. But then when I checked in on what Steve Yzerman was doing in TB, well, here was this young core of exciting players. Plus I thought Steven Stamkos was the most exciting player in the game, and I had a hometown connection to Marty St. Louis--he's the best player who ever suited up for the Saint John Flames, when they existed.

Anyway, I found myself watching both the Wings and the Lightning for about a year, and then I just gravitated more and more toward the Lightning, until I just had to admit I'd become a Lightning fan first and foremost. I just felt more connected to the team, even when they were losing, because I was watching the rebuild from the ground up.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I went to college and it coincided with Steve Yzerman's retirement. Didn't have a lot of time to watch hockey. I followed loosely. When I came back to it, around 2010 or so, the Wings team had an entirely different core than the one I grew up with. So it was hard for me to make that same "connection," so to speak. But then when I checked in on what Steve Yzerman was doing in TB, well, here was this young core of exciting players. Plus I thought Steven Stamkos was the most exciting player in the game, and I had a hometown connection to Marty St. Louis--he's the best player who ever suited up for the Saint John Flames, when they existed.

Anyway, I found myself watching both the Wings and the Lightning for about a year, and then I just gravitated more and more toward the Lightning, until I just had to admit I'd become a Lightning fan first and foremost. I just felt more connected to the team, even when they were losing, because I was watching the rebuild from the ground up.
That's interesting, thanks for sharing. Dairy Farmers of Canada is lucky to have you

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Hear, hear. It took 19 years for Detroit to better their wins mark and then 24 years for us to match it. It is absolutely realistic to think we aren't gonna see anything like this again for another 15-30 years. To think we managed to do this in the cap era is astounding to think about and it's the whole reason why I made that appreciation thread. If we actually win the Cup it's gonna be really interesting to see where this season stacks up all time after everyone has enough time to process it.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Thinking about next year....

So assuming Coburn is a healthy scratch tomorrow I think it’s safe to suggest he’s not in the plans next year.

Stralls has been really banged up. I kinda doubt the Lightning pay the freight for him.

Girardi is just too old.

The team seems to like Rutta and and he’s a RH shot. Would he take a one year bridge until Foote is ready? Maybe even a 2 year deal if the AAV is 2 Mil.

Does Serge play with Heddy in the top 4 next year? If so maybe Rutta and Guance on the 3rd pairing? Or will the Lightning make a move for a proven RH shot to play with Heddy. Should be interesting.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Thinking about next year....

So assuming Coburn is a healthy scratch tomorrow I think it’s safe to suggest he’s not in the plans next year.

Stralls has been really banged up. I kinda doubt the Lightning pay the freight for him.

Girardi is just too old.

The team seems to like Rutta and and he’s a RH shot. Would he take a one year bridge until Foote is ready? Maybe even a 2 year deal if the AAV is 2 Mil.

Does Serge play with Heddy in the top 4 next year? If so maybe Rutta and Guance on the 3rd pairing? Or will the Lightning make a move for a proven RH shot to play with Heddy. Should be interesting.

Gaunce is not an NHL player. No way we go with him. I would go with

Hedman-Rutta
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Foote
Masin

The third pairing would have some problems but they should be able to make it work by the time playoffs come around.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Gaunce is not an NHL player. No way we go with him. I would go with

Hedman-Rutta
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Foote
Masin

The third pairing would have some problems but they should be able to make it work by the time playoffs come around.

So go with the player who literally isn't an NHL player because neither have played in the NHL. Makes sense.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rutta on the top pairing? Holy schmoly, am I the only one who sees that he just isnt good, or?..

Not my ideal choice, there are definitely better options. Whoever plays with Hedman is just keeping the position warm for Foote though, that kid is destined for that role with his skill set.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Rutta on the top pairing? Holy schmoly, am I the only one who sees that he just isnt good, or?..

Stats wise he has been great. Feel like people hate him for no reason. He should be fine with Hedman just like Girardi is right now.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Seems odd to discuss possible pairings for next year without qualifying it with term/salary ranges with it.
Example - would I want Gerardi back again next year at his current 3M/yr? Hell no. He can either retire or come back year-to-year at like 1.5M as a 6-7th, or on a rotation to keep him fresh.
Similar with Rutta - I don't mind him so much as a 10-14 minute/gm guy, or as a 7-8th fill-in, but not at his current 2.25M/yr for that role.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Stats wise he has been great. Feel like people hate him for no reason. He should be fine with Hedman just like Girardi is right now.
Dude is softer than charmin, and gets beaten consistently. Maybe his stats are good, but if you watch him, he sucks. I will say that on the last game with him and Gaunce, they played pretty well.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Dude is softer than charmin, and gets beaten consistently. Maybe his stats are good, but if you watch him, he sucks. I will say that on the last game with him and Gaunce, they played pretty well.

Yeah, I think Rutta has gotten stronger, the more he's played with us, but I just don't like what he brings to the table overall. He gets beaten in the corners and beaten in foot races. I'd rather keep him as a spare part than put him in the line up, but I'm guessing we're about to see the workloads of our main horses increase significantly, so it probably doesn't matter.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Well it’s time to vent. I still think the Lightning win the series. But if they don’t, what does JBB do?

You simply can’t keep this core together if Columbus takes them out. There are lots of NTC on the team, so what cam be done?

Win or die. The core dies if Columbus kills it. New blood will be needed with drastic changes.

Hopefully I look back on this post and laugh after the Lightning winnthe cup.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
The problem we have is the ntc’s. Johnson and Palat are both so meh and I wish we could get rid of them and get some new blood on the team. Sadly not possible with Yzerman giving everyone a ntc.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The problem we have is the ntc’s. Johnson and Palat are both so meh and I wish we could get rid of them and get some new blood on the team. Sadly not possible with Yzerman giving everyone a ntc.
There are drastic measures not worth mentioning after a single loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad