2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion - Part 2

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're better off trying to keep our guys instead of going after any big fishes.

Yeah. I mean, if things go bad in the playoffs, I think we could try to tweak things, but I'm not sure that adding a major star, which could cost us multiple players, is the way to go. As of right now it's hard to find a major flaw in the roster, but something could get exposed in the playoffs. I don't think losing has to be addressed via massive overhaul though, and acquiring Karlsson would wind up with a massive overhaul one way or the other.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Does that take into account Kucherov and McDonagh's raises? Karlsson doesn't seem very likely to me anymore, given how it would take a ton of money moves even before Point exploded into a top-10 scorer.

Yeah, TB has $11m committed to raises via extension between Kucherov, McDonagh and Gourde. So, there’s very little, net, that’s ciming off the books with the block of expiring contracts.

Even with a rising cap ceiling, BriseBois would have to get both Point and Karlsson signed at very favorable numbers in conjunction with managing to clear out Callahan’s contract as well as another, (presumably Miller’s )while buying out, or retaining / taking back via trade, a minimal sum.

And that’s just to fit Karlsson in next season. Cernak, Sergachev and Vasilevskiy will be up for new deals following it and without a similar exodus to help offset the expense.

Impossible? No. Likely? No.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, TB has $11m committed to raises via extension between Kucherov, McDonagh and Gourde. So, there’s very little, net, that’s ciming off the books with the block of expiring contracts.

Even with a rising cap ceiling, BriseBois would have to get both Point and Karlsson signed at very favorable numbers in conjunction with managing to clear out Callahan’s contract as well as another, (presumably Miller’s )while buying out, or retaining / taking back via trade, a minimal sum.

And that’s just to fit Karlsson in next season. Cernak, Sergachev and Vasilevskiy will be up for new deals following it and without a similar exodus to help offset the expense.

giphy.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah. I mean, if things go bad in the playoffs, I think we could try to tweak things, but I'm not sure that adding a major star, which could cost us multiple players, is the way to go. As of right now it's hard to find a major flaw in the roster, but something could get exposed in the playoffs. I don't think losing has to be addressed via massive overhaul though, and acquiring Karlsson would wind up with a massive overhaul one way or the other.

If we can't get over the hump this year because we are physically incapable of opening shooting lanes when teams box us out and force us along the perimeter and we're back to someone like Johnson manning the point so he can feed one timers to Coburn because our defense can't be trusted to do the job themselves....let's just say I'm sure Karlsson will get a call if he isn't resigned by the SJS on July 1st and we will figure out the rest as we go.

That's why we couldn't beat the Capitals. Once we got through the neutral zone we simply attacked with 3 players. We are seeing less of it this year because Richards is more aggressive than Bowness but it still worries me. We have really, REALLY struggled only a few times this year and sure enough it was the same thing we've been seeing for years going all the way back to Detroit...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Something that just occurred to me that would be interesting to try out:

Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Cirelli - Johnson

With Palat being interchangeable with Gourde, Joseph, or whoever.

What I'm thinking is Palat - Point - Johnson is the line that shut down Bergeron's line last year, and I think we could probably insert Cirelli there and be fine, which of course would leave the top line for an easier match-up.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

What I'm thinking is Palat - Point - Johnson is the line that shut down Bergeron's line last year, and I think we could probably insert Cirelli there and be fine, which of course would leave the top line for an easier match-up.
That's interesting

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Usually those "hero" lines don't mesh well over time, I think this will just lead to fancy over passing more than anything when they aren't playing for that urgency goal. It also takes away that ace up your sleeve type of move.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What's amazing is all the possible combinations we have with the current roster, my take for fun is:

Johnson-Point-Gourde
Palat-Cirelli-Kucherov
Miller-Stamkos-Callahan
Killorn-Paquette-Joseph

I liked the brief times we've seen Kucherov and Cirelli together, it's resulted in some goals too and it's crazy we can have lines like this without looking like we're spread too thin.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
My whole thing is, I wouldn't be shocked to see them want to find another top four guy out there on the market but affordability is a whole different discussion.

I DO think i'd look long and hard at Trouba and see what his camp is asking for if Winnipeg is foolish enough to not qualify him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
3 games left, 6 potential points to reach 130!

We're also the 3rd team in NHL history to reach 60 wins if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Why is Palat in anybody's top 6?
Over .50 PPG player who has a cool nickname that reminds me of the music that was in when I was young so I'm like "oh that's cool, all these memories and good feelings I almost forgot about" and then I feel well and nostalgic and don't think about the fact that he has only 1 goal in his last 31 games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How about:

Gourde - Point - Kucherov
Miller - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Paquette - Erne

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How about:

Gourde - Point - Kucherov
Miller - Stamkos - Joseph
Killorn - Paquette - Erne

Swap Killorn and Palat. Killorn and Cirelli shouldn't be separated and Palat sucks.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Reunite Stamkos and Kucherov with Miller

TJ-Point-Palat

Gourde-Cirelli-Killorn

I know Palat sucks but I'm keeping faith

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Reunite Stamkos and Kucherov with Miller

TJ-Point-Palat

Gourde-Cirelli-Killorn

I know Palat sucks but I'm keeping faith

I think Palat back in his comfort zone with TJ could get the best out of him. So I'm thinking turn them into a shutdown line with Cirelli. Point centered them to shutdown the Bergeron line last year. If we can do that with Cirelli, while leaving Point free to smash the back of the net with pucks, I think we're even tougher to beat.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I would like to see the following...even for just a few games to see how it works:

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Gourde-Point-Joseph -----That would be a seriously fast and relelentless line...
Killorn-Cirelli-Johnson
Palat-Paquette-Callahan/Erne

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Sens fan that doesn't get to see many TBL games....

I knew that Point was a great player but anyone else think he is one of the most under rated players in the game? A lot of talk about the usual suspects (rightfully so) such as Matthews, McD, Kucherov, etc. but I hardly ever hear about BP.

Dude is unreal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sens fan that doesn't get to see many TBL games....

I knew that Point was a great player but anyone else think he is one of the most under rated players in the game? A lot of talk about the usual suspects (rightfully so) such as Matthews, McD, Kucherov, etc. but I hardly ever hear about BP.

Dude is unreal.

I find that Point is very recognized by opposing fans/teams but isn't talked about lots in the media which is exactly how I like it. The more talk there is about a player the more hate they get.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think Palat back in his comfort zone with TJ could get the best out of him. So I'm thinking turn them into a shutdown line with Cirelli. Point centered them to shutdown the Bergeron line last year. If we can do that with Cirelli, while leaving Point free to smash the back of the net with pucks, I think we're even tougher to beat.

I'd hate to split up Killorn with Cirelli and TJ with Point, but I think this makes a lot of sense.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I still wanna see what Johnson-Point-Gourde can do, we should try them both with Point since they're at their best with him. Screw Palat, it's not worth the effort getting him going.

Johnson-Point-Gourde
Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Palat-Paquette-Callahan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad