2018-2019 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects (Part II) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Go look at Danault's goals on YouTube from that season. 14 of them are around the net. You're not going to score that many ever year, which is why it is concerning for Poehling that he can't score from far out.
He can. If he continues to play well, he'll be a regular 20 goal scorer in the NHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Schmaltz of the Yotes scored just 5 goals in 38 games in college in his draft +1 year. He would score 21 goals in the NHL as a sophomore.
For comparison, Poehling scored 14 goals in his D+1 season. Hell, he scored more as a 17 year old freshman (7 goals).

To suggest he wont score based on stats is just stupid. Let the kid prove himself before spitting bs.
You're stat-watching crap is getting clueless. And no he doesnt have a bad shot. Hell hes got a much better shot one than Danault, who managed to score 13 in one season.

Those shot rates aren't gonna cut it. Whether you like him or not, he's gonna have to shoot more. Nick Schmaltz is a fun example and all, but there's a clear distinction between both of their shots.

I know Poehling is not gonna score from distance, that's not his game, but the fact of the matter is.. his coaches will want him to, and he's gonna need to -shoot- more. If you don't have a lethal shot as a playmaker, it makes the lanes tighter and they will give you the shot. You're gonna have to take those. You're also gonna have to take shots from bad angles, from soft areas, to set up passes later on. If you only pass, if you're only shooting once a game.. I'm sorry, that's a hole in someone's game and it -should- be higher in his 3rd year in College.

I find it hard to believe it wasn't something the development team wanted him to work on before this season started.

It's no different than people saying 'McShane is slow out there, he's gotta improve his skating'. They are all prospects and they all have areas to improve.

Reactions: yianik

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Those shot rates aren't gonna cut it. Whether you like him or not, he's gonna have to shoot more. Nick Schmaltz is a fun example and all, but there's a clear distinction between both of their shots.

I know Poehling is not gonna score from distance, that's not his game, but the fact of the matter is.. his coaches will want him to, and he's gonna need to -shoot- more. If you don't have a lethal shot as a playmaker, it makes the lanes tighter and they will give you the shot. You're gonna have to take those. You're also gonna have to take shots from bad angles, from soft areas, to set up passes later on. If you only pass, if you're only shooting once a game.. I'm sorry, that's a hole in someone's game and it -should- be higher in his 3rd year in College.

I find it hard to believe it wasn't something the development team wanted him to work on before this season started.

It's no different than people saying 'McShane is slow out there, he's gotta improve his skating'. They are all prospects and they all have areas to improve.
You are truly overstating his shooting issues to one hell of an extreme. Hes got a good shot, nothing special but nothing atrocious like you try to suggest.

Reactions: montreal

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are truly overstating his shooting issues to one hell of an extreme. Hes got a good shot, nothing special but nothing atrocious like you try to suggest.

If he had a good shot, he would have one goal in his collegiate career where he actually beat a goalie cleanly with it.

And you're missing the point of the entire discussion. Bad or good. In his third year in the NCAA, likely his last, he can't be averaging a shot a game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
wow, impressive game from Romanov, they moved him back to LD with Marchenko the former Red Wings pick. He played a career high 17:52 with 1 shot on goal. I thought he played very well especially at moving the puck out of his end with crisp tape to tape passes. 2 games ago he played a then career high of 15:49 as it was only the 4th time he played more then 14 minutes, so now 2 of his last 3 games have been the highest TOI of his KHL career although he played only 8:52 in between those games which is kind of odd.

But glad to see him back at his natural position although he seems to be able to play either side equally. This was the first game i've seen him since he returned from the CHL series but if he plays like that he's got to be on Team Russia later this month.

I believe USA will be announcing their roster this week.

A bit surprised Teasdale isn't on the list, though.

I'm not since he didn't have a shot but I am surprised at how big the list is, thought they would have a few less guys. Either way should be a very good team for Canada.

Has there been anything in the media about Kotka and if the Habs are going to consider lending him or have just shut down the idea? I know he didn't play as much last night and he's got just points in just one of his last 8 games I believe.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
A bit surprised Teasdale isn't on the list, though.
Yes and no.

He could have been there but team canada are well known to keep the same players from camp to camp. The forwards are stacked and Teasdale while being very good has not put himself at the top like Leason has.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes it's different at least by semantics as being bad at something vs needing to improve. So it comes down to by which degree you need to improve. If you are bad at it you need a lot of improvement, if you need to do it more and improve, you don't need a lot of improvement. McShane is a below average skater and doesn't move his feet, Poehling had a .39 goals per game last year. While he had a number of redirects, he scored on at least 2 or 3 breakaways just off the top of my head.

I don't expect Poehling to ever be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL and he needs to shoot more, work on his shot but he's looking like a solid 3rd line center on a top team imo.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Legend123

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Nothing on the Swedes yet? I am sure Jacob Olofsson is a lock.

WHat do you think Ikonen's chances are for being added to Fins roster for WJC?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
yes it's different at least by semantics as being bad at something vs needing to improve. So it comes down to by which degree you need to improve. If you are bad at it you need a lot of improvement, if you need to do it more and improve, you don't need a lot of improvement. McShane is a below average skater and doesn't move his feet, Poehling had a .39 goals per game last year. While he had a number of redirects, he scored on at least 2 or 3 breakaways just off the top of my head.

I don't expect Poehling to ever be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL and he needs to shoot more, work on his shot but he's looking like a solid 3rd line center on a top team imo.

A 30 goal scorer he doesnt have to be , but if he can get 20 , 21 and 50 plus points as well as play a strong 2 way game, then that is 2C play and is big for the team.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In other news (and players who should shoot more), Cam Hillis had two goals and an assist in his last game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The real issue is if he has a good shot. If he does, then he will be told to shoot more and that solves the problem. If he doesnt have a good shot, it's a real problem at pro.
He does have an accurate shot that he can get off rather quickly and with moderate power. He'll never be a 30 goal scorer though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A 30 goal scorer he doesnt have to be , but if he can get 20 , 21 and 50 plus points as well as play a strong 2 way game, then that is 2C play and is big for the team.

50 pts would be a bit surprising unless in this new NHL scoring stays up as last year we had only Gallagher and Galchenyuk hit 50.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
But glad to see him back at his natural position although he seems to be able to play either side equally. This was the first game i've seen him since he returned from the CHL series but if he plays like that he's got to be on Team Russia later this month.
It seems to be fairly common in Russian hockey, the LHS to RHS ratio is way higher there than everywhere else for some reason. I'm always kinda puzzled by this when I watch a KHL game.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
50 pts would be a bit surprising unless in this new NHL scoring stays up as last year we had only Gallagher and Galchenyuk hit 50.
if Poehling can model his game after Horvat of the Nucks im confident he'll be a consistent 50 point producer in the NHL

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It seems to be fairly common in Russian hockey, the LHS to RHS ratio is way higher there than everywhere else for some reason. I'm always kinda puzzled by this when I watch a KHL game.

Its less the case in recent years, but theyre stricker with teaching kids to play with their dominant hand on top, so they dont have many RH players. US has more than half of their hockey players as righties.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Easier to just ignore all the Poehling won’t score from a distance because of his NCAA stats posts & posters. Same ones who said Brady Tkachuk wouldn’t score either. Keyboard & YouTube scouts.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Only prospect who played today is Fonstad. Chicoutimi also played but Houde is still out with a concussion.

In the 3rd period, Prince Albert is up 2-1 against Swift Current. Fonstad with an assist on the second goal. He's now at 4 points in 4 games.

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia