2018-2019 AUS Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS, when are the Huskies moving to their new arena?,2019??
Also, will Dal continue to play in the forum?
On another note, the angle of Dal webcasts seem to be higher to view than SMU webcasts, or is it just my imagination?

Watched the Acadia/Moncton game last night, very entertaining. The Bell crew do a fantastic job on the broadcast.
Acadia still only 2 pts up on Dal for the last playoff position , with a tough matchup against SMU tonight and Moncton again on the road Monday. They could be starring at two more losses?
According to Burns, the Axe seem to be working hard, but starved for offence. I would say!!!!:popcorn::huh::eek::oops::help:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Just saw this now as I was in Acadia last night. The rink is progressing. I haven't been near the University for ages, but will pop down next time i'm in town. As with most major construction projects this one will probably be late. Supposed to be open Sept, but we'll see.....

I'm guessing Dal will stay at the Forum as I haven't heard any word on a new rink for them. Perhaps they'll take SMU's room and the Dal girls will take the men's room???

Regarding webcast - The AUS TV guys are in the same spot for both teams. I watched the 3rd period of the UdeM game and agree with you on the quality of the broadcast.

Acadia has trouble scoring, for sure.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB suffered its first regular season loss last night, on the road to X 4-2.
X scores 3 first period goals and forced UNB to play from behind, not an easy task when facing Marchand (G), who was on top of his game. For UNB, I haven't seen them get down like that, for a long time.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia has trouble scoring, for sure.

Like I said before I still fully expect them to make the playoffs but man they need a win bad. Big game for them against Moncton on Monday.

Another interesting game will be X vs SMU on Wednesday. If X want to have any realistic chance of catching the Huskies for second they will need to win this game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB suffered its first regular season loss last night, on the road to X 4-2.
X scores 3 first period goals and forced UNB to play from behind, not an easy task when facing Marchand (G), who was on top of his game. For UNB, I haven't seen them get down like that, for a long time.

Didn't get to see this one. Four goals on sixteen shots doesn't look good.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Didn't get to see this one. Four goals on sixteen shots doesn't look good.
I watched the webcast. StFX's Graham scored early in the game on a beauty shot into the top corner off the rush. Was X's first or second SOG. Then they scored on the power play to take 2-0 lead. X's power play was cooking while UNB's special teams weren't at their best. Even strength UNB was dictating most of the play, but they were having a hard time getting the puck past Marchand, and his D-men were doing a good job clearing rebounds. The shot counter was really stingy ... in the third period UNB probably had 4 or 5 shots on goal before the count moved from 26 to 27. The officials let a lot of obstruction penalties go, which favoured X, but UNB did have their own opportunities on the PP. Carroll was in and Pomerleau was out and it really shows on UNB defence.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
...UNB did have their own opportunities on the PP.

I think this type of game was brewing. They had a good game vs SMU, but not dominating. They should have waxed Acadia and had to fight back to win that game. They needed an empty net to secure the win vs DAL. So - a loss was looking inevitable.

I don't think their out of sorts - just complacent with winning at every turn, your bound to get a-head of yourself. They get a chance to reset vs UdeM and UPEI then return to NS for a rematch.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think this type of game was brewing. They had a good game vs SMU, but not dominating. They should have waxed Acadia and had to fight back to win that game. They needed an empty net to secure the win vs DAL. So - a loss was looking inevitable.

I don't think their out of sorts - just complacent with winning at every turn, your bound to get a-head of yourself. They get a chance to reset vs UdeM and UPEI then return to NS for a rematch.

Agreed, they have been trending towards a loss based on the last couple of weeks.

I don’t mind them losing (you can’t expect to win every game), but it’s annoying to lose to that team. I think UNB is a noticeably better team than St. FX this year, but I bet if you polled Reds fans the majority are hoping X wind up as the 3rd seed so any potential playoff matchup won’t come until the finals.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In my view, StFX plays a very effective counter-attack system against UNB - pounce on loose pucks or turnovers in the neutral zone or high slot and score off the rush. In order for this to work, you need strong goaltending, and until lately Marchand had not been giving them that this season.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Acadia with another loss last night - 6th in a row. Both Acadia and DAL have GF of 48 and GA of 83 & 85 (basically equal). They're almost being out scored 2:1. I know they had a lot of rookies, but I didn't see this coming - especially a year out from hosting Nationals and finishing 3rd last year and Bronze at Nationals before that.

The last time ACD missed the playoffs - 7th place in '03-04 with a record of 11-15-1-1 (GF/GA of 82/100 for a DIF of -18) - they currently have a DIF of -35.

They have 8 games left with two vs DAL.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So Dal played SMU 3 times in their first 5 games and haven’t played them since. They will have gone from Oct 13th to Jan 18th without playing one another.

Makes sense.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
One more year. I'm thinking that he should be safe. Why should he be fired? These are Student Athletes, not Pros. They brought in 14 new players, some of them are good and some are just OK. Big adjustment. No one here is talking about Donnelly getting fired. DAL has not been very successful the past few years. No one wanted Gards fired when he got swept by SFX a few years ago. But, I'll ask Burnsie and get back to you guys.

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
One more year. I'm thinking that he should be safe. Why should he be fired? These are Student Athletes, not Pros. They brought in 14 new players, some of them are good and some are just OK. Big adjustment. No one here is talking about Donnelly getting fired. DAL has not been very successful the past few years. No one wanted Gards fired when he got swept by SFX a few years ago. But, I'll ask Burnsie and get back to you guys.

Agree - you have to assume they were all-in on Burns prior to the bid, so you may as well stick with it. rebuilds are never easy - just a bit surprised they haven't worked it out and improved, but this season has seen each team improve bit-by-bit as the season has progressed and they've been chasing everyone each weekend.

Lakedhead fired their coach after their first year hosting nationals (Joel Scherban replace Don McKee) and they went on to advance to Nationals through the front door, but not much after and it's not a recipe for success.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I had to miss the game, so not sure what happened, but with a match penalty, I am pretty certain that some sort of suspension will be assessed.

There was a scrum behind the Moncton net involving Boudens and about 4 Aigles Bleus. During the scrum St-Cyr gave Boudens 3-4 pretty obvious spears.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Was able to see the video replay on austv and it definitely looks like he spears him a couple of times (or the motion is definitely there), I assume that they gave him a match for attempt to injure, my guess he will be sitting for a couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad