2018-2019 AUS Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
USPORTS Top 10 (Jan. 15)

Interesting to see McGill at 9 with no media selections (strictly on the 'strength of schedule' ELO) and RYS at 10th with 26pts from the media, but no ELO.

It looks like the ELO has been design to provide only 10 teams with positive scores, which makes it hard for teams on the edge of 8-9-10 to break through.

MRU was the ELO #10 choice, but didn't receive enough media points to overtake RYS.

Not an 'end of the world' issue - just interesting.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I hadn’t watched many of the Bell broadcasts this season before last night, but just wanted to say how great of a job Peter Ruttgaizer does with the call. Very knowledgeable with regards to the teams and players and had lots of tidbits of information that most people outside of us on here probably wouldn’t know.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
With back to back wins Acadia has finally pulled ahead of Dal for the last playoff spot. Doubt there is no looking back now.

Moncton takes sole possession of third place after beating UPEI in overtime. The Panthers are now tied with X whom they play in a makeup game on Tuesday.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I hadn’t watched many of the Bell broadcasts this season before last night, but just wanted to say how great of a job Peter Ruttgaizer does with the call. Very knowledgeable with regards to the teams and players and had lots of tidbits of information that most people outside of us on here probably wouldn’t know.
The camera work is also 150x better!!!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With back to back wins Acadia has finally pulled ahead of Dal for the last playoff spot. Doubt there is no looking back now.

Moncton takes sole possession of third place after beating UPEI in overtime. The Panthers are now tied with X whom they play in a makeup game on Tuesday.

DAL has a tough schedule- 2 with UNB and UPEI and 1 each with SMU and ACA. Give the final playoff to ACA.

UNB needs 2 points to clinch 1st, SMU should hang on to the other 1st round bye. UdeM, SFX and UPEI all have a chance at 3rd.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
DAL has a tough schedule- 2 with UNB and UPEI and 1 each with SMU and ACA. Give the final playoff to ACA.

Agreed - DAL needs 5pts (at minimum) to reach 17. The path to this is best achieved through PEIx2 and ACD and ACD goes 0-6.

I think ACD needs just 1 win (2 pts) as it puts DAL in a position to have to defeat UNB or SMU (they have no wins over UNB since 2012, 0-26)

UNB needs 2 points to clinch 1st,...

Agreed - should come on Friday vs DAL

SMU should hang on to the other 1st round bye.

Should - yes, do they ??? Moncton is fighting for 3rd spot. A win over Acadia this weekend and DAL the next weekend should be enough.

UdeM, SFX and UPEI all have a chance at 3rd.

Tonight's SFX/PEI game will have all teams at 24 games and one of these two will be tied with Moncton for 3rd

These spots will likely go to the last weekend. The SFX/PEI game on the last night might be the decider for spots 3-5.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Watched most of the SMU v Moncton game last night. Surprised that Les Aigles managed to take the Huskies to overtime considering they’re missing St. Cyr and Therrien. Garlent with a nice shot to win it for the Huskies.

I’m looking forward to SMU moving to a new rink. The old Forum has the worst camera angles.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU didn't have a lot of jump. Credit UdeM for their hard work. They will be a good team in a few years if they keep going at the current rate.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good tilt last night in Acadia, ending in a literal last second OT goal by SMU. 2-1 final. Both goalies played well with Brassard making several game savers. Flodell very strong for the Axe. The point for Acadia pads their lead over DAL to 5, so I'll go on record as saying they will claim the last playoff spot. SMU has the week off before going to SFX on Friday. I think a SFX loss tonight will clinch 2nd for SMU as they already have the head-to-head by 3-1.

Reactions: Drummer

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X with a 6-5 win over SMU last night to pull within 4 pts for second, with a game in hand. SMU holding the second playoff bye and will most likely get it, as they have no remaining games with either X or UNB.
One thing, Peddle has his team clicking at the right time! They can continue to be outshot stay in games and beat teams like SMU and UNB. IMO, they have been getting better goaltending than the Huskies/Reds.
They have also been missing Marchand, who may be the best clutch goaltender in the AUS/USports?
If it plays out, I can see X finishing 3'rd, which means that they would avoid UNB in a potential second round meeting and face SMU. Of coarse, the second round match up will determine who goes to Lethbridge.
There is lot's of competition in the AUS right now, top to bottom, all tough games, with the exception of only Dal, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a first round upset.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I could see any of the four quarterfinal teams winning their first series...should be a couple good matchups.

As for X, I just don’t see how consistently being out-shot 2:1 is a recipe for long term success...but they keep on pulling those games out.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I could see any of the four quarterfinal teams winning their first series...should be a couple good matchups.

As for X, I just don’t see how consistently being out-shot 2:1 is a recipe for long term success...but they keep on pulling those games out.
I agree, but they are the best at getting it done. The recipe is to not play from behind, get them down and build off that. They are also good at mounting come backs, "never say die attitude". Play the opposition tough defensively, good goaltending and special teams. When they get that, they can upset the best. Ex; Alberta in U Cup 2017, UNB U Cup 2018.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
X losing in typical X fashion. (At the time of typing this they haven’t lost, just initiating shit when losing) A lot of suspensions coming from this game tonight.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
X definitely will not have a full bench next Friday night in Fredericton. How many players left the bench to engage in a fight? Major suspensions coming. Noticed at the end of the game that Burns was on the ice ready to shake hands, but Peddle would not come over (probably a good thing though).

Edit: I guess it wasn't Burns who was on the ice, didn't realize that both Burns and Peddle got tossed.

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Watched the replays, looks like at least 6 X players leave the bench, but it was an Acadia player that left the bench first. Not sure what he was thinking, he jumped on when the first fight started, then when the scrum started in front of the Acadia bench, that is when the X players jumped. Wild.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just noticing the box score now...wow that’s a lot of PIM handed out. Haven’t watched the video yet though...

I am always curious to check out the box score of games X lose...they usually never disappoint.

X has been playing shorthanded the last couple games anyways (they were down 2-3 guys against UNB, looks like they were just down 1 tonight)...but they might be down even more guys next Friday night.

Last edited:

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
For anyone wondering, the fun starts at 2:15:15 on AUStv.ca

First skirmish at 2:05:20 but the real fun is at 2:15.

Never seen anything like that in my 20 years of being around the AUS.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
For anyone wondering, the fun starts at 2:15:15 on AUStv.ca

First skirmish at 2:05:20 but the real fun is at 2:15.

Never seen anything like that in my 20 years of being around the AUS.
Last time that I have seen something even close to that was many years ago in Halifax, Antigonish and Halifax in the Jr A league..but never anything like that in the AUS. Will be interesting to see how many suspensions will be handed out.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
They are good at that too! lol..

There’s a good video from a fans perspective on YouTube from right behind the bench. Let’s your hear exactly what was being said between Peddle and MacDonald, as well as everyone else for anyone that’s interested.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Just got home from the SMU-DAL game and watched the video of the ACA-SFX debacle. Should be a few suspensions, for sure. 3 Fighting Majors to SFX and ACA, 1 spearing Major to SFX. A bunch of misconducts. I think both coaches got tossed as well.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There’s a good video from a fans perspective on YouTube from right behind the bench. Let’s your hear exactly what was being said between Peddle and MacDonald, as well as everyone else for anyone that’s interested.
What search terms did you use to find it on youtube?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just got home from the SMU-DAL game and watched the video of the ACA-SFX debacle. Should be a few suspensions, for sure. 3 Fighting Majors to SFX and ACA, 1 spearing Major to SFX. A bunch of misconducts. I think both coaches got tossed as well.
What amazes me is that Hoyles was feeding right handed bombs to players on the Acadia bench, and somehow doesn't have a fighting major on the game sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->