2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Interesting group of teams leading their respective divisions.

Carolina (albeit tied)
Buffalo
Colorado
Edmonton

Edmonton about to take 1st in the league.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Wow Q Hughes has been super impressive to start the year. Loos like an even better skating Girard out there.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Haha, ref dropped a big F bomb on mic following a scrum on Sportsnet. Love that they have those mics now. Not that I think it's anything, but because I know people at Sportsnet don't want them in.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m really enjoying watching Jack Hughes. This is the 4th Devils game I’ve watched and man he’s talented. Some extreme ups and downs similar to Makar but man is he fun.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He could very well be better defensively as well. He's a much more dynamic skater than Makar. He's going to be a beast of a transition defenceman.

I think 2 way is more up for discussion, but yeah I haven't seen a dman come out of the draft as talented as Hughes(offensively at least) in awhile.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He could very well be better defensively as well. He's a much more dynamic skater than Makar. He's going to be a beast of a transition defenceman.
Much more dynamic skater?

Maybe he ends up a bit better, but that's an extreme exaggeration. Makar is a tremendous skater, very explosive and quick shifting.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Maybe he ends up a bit better, but that's an extreme exaggeration. Makar is a tremendous skater, very explosive and quick shifting.

Hughes already looks like a better skater than Girard who himself is one of the best in the league. Makar is a great skater of course but has a much different style than Hughes or Girard. Hughes skates in all directions effortlessly and has insane edge work. Haven't seen that type of skating from Makar. Not yet at least.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I think 2 way is more up for discussion, but yeah I haven't seen a dman come out of the draft as talented as Hughes(offensively at least) in awhile.

Considering their skill sets, I see more of a two-way skating defenceman in Hughes and an explosive offensive defenceman in Makar.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah Hughes is an elite skater. Very good chance he ends up one of the best skaters in the league that isn't McDavid, insane mix of good edges and top speed.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah Hughes is an elite skater. Very good chance he ends up one of the best skaters in the league that isn't McDavid, insane mix of good edges and top speed.

It's like comparing MacKinnon to Crosby. MacK is shifty, strong, and explosive but there's not doubt that Crosby is the better skater.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They'll make the playoffs and could be dangerous. I think they pick up where they left 3 years ago.
We'll see. I have my doubts about them making the playoffs, even with this great start. The unfortunate thing for the Oilers is that outside of Los Angeles, the Pacific actually looks somewhat decent this year whereas the Central looks bad. Anaheim and Vegas are right on Edmonton's tail even after starting 7-1-0.

I don't know if McDavid/Draisaitl can keep up with 25+ minutes per night, and I have my doubts about a Koskinen/Smith tandem holding up all season.

I hope for the city that they make it, but I don't think they will.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Hrudey's Take: Kerfoot needs to focus on play in defensive zone - Sportsnet.ca

I don't know what's better here, Hrudey questioning perennial Selke candidate Alex Kerfoot's defense or later adding "he will be better in the second half when he learns how to play better defensive hockey" as if the Leafs and the great Mike Babcock are the only ones teaching defense.

I saw Hrudey say that live. What I thought at the time was that Kerfoot's been in the league for 2-3 seasons and was already an overager, he doesn't have much more room to grow in terms of defensive instincts. He's also small and soft.

Reactions: Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad