2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Stealing this from reddit:

Eriksson Ek blocks 3 straight Weber bombs and receives applause from the Montreal crowd

I'm not normally a fan of having a guy jump someone from the other team for clean hits or whatever. But in this case, I wouldn't have opposed a team-mate just jumping Weber straight up and beating him to a pulp. It's one thing when EJ who has a terrible shot hits a shin-pad. I gotta believe at some point Weber is doing this on purpose.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not normally a fan of having a guy jump someone from the other team for clean hits or whatever. But in this case, I wouldn't have opposed a team-mate just jumping Weber straight up and beating him to a pulp. It's one thing when EJ who has a terrible shot hits a shin-pad. I gotta believe at some point Weber is doing this on purpose.

Why the f*** would he do that? They are on the PP and Weber is throwing bombs at the net because that's what he always does. He's not aiming at Eriksson EK.

This isn't baseball.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm sorry, but what in the hell is Fox doing on that hit? I saw the hit from another angle and the guy crouches as he is about to get hit. No wonder he got drilled in the head.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Why the **** would he do that? They are on the PP and Weber is throwing bombs at the net because that's what he always does. He's not aiming at Eriksson EK.

This isn't baseball.
So you are saying Weber is as bad as EJ on getting shots through to the net?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've seen countless games over the years were folks with heavy shots laid up because they recognized someone was in dangerous situation. If Weber is just teeing it up regardless, good for him. But I would still have jumped him if he hit my team-mate three times on one shift.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

Terrible shot? It's terrible because he can't get it through. It's still a heavy shot when he gets good wood on it. Let's not forget he broke Hjalmarsson's leg with a bomb from the point just a week ago...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I've seen countless games over the years were folks with heavy shots laid up because they recognized someone was in dangerous situation. If Weber is just teeing it up regardless, good for him. But I would still have jumped him if he hit my team-mate three times on one shift.

Even if he did it on purpose (and he didn't) who the f*** would "jump Shea Weber and beat him to a pulp"? Wild player would look like Greer when he tried to fight Byfuglien.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, EJ has a terrible shot. He's wildly inaccurate and has never once hit the same guy three times in one shift. He might get some shots off that are heavy, but when I think of EJ, heavy shot is not what I think of. Weber is known for a heavy shot. The fact that he hit the same guy three times in a row...yeah, beat that ass.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Even if he did it on purpose (and he didn't) who the **** would "jump Shea Weber and beat him to a pulp"? Wild player would look like Greer when he tried to fight Byfuglien.
Okay, the phrase I used was completely wrong, but the fact remains, this dude just took three pot-shots on a player that all connected while on the power-play. I get that the game has changed over the years, but at some point, I still believe someone on the team needs to get on Weber. I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Okay, the phrase I used was completely wrong, but the fact remains, this dude just took three pot-shots on a player that all connected while on the power-play. I get that the game has changed over the years, but at some point, I still believe someone on the team needs to get on Weber. I guess I'm just a dinosaur.
If EE was standing between Weber and the net, I really do not see how it would be in any way justifiable to get on Weber.

If Weber was specifically aiming for the guy and didnt even aim at the net, then sure, but not if EE was blocking shots going towards the net.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
31 teams playing 82 games each... weird, unexpected stuff is bound to happen. I don't think for a moment Weber was actually aiming for the guy. He was throwing one-time bombs, those are hard to control even for an elite shooter like Weber. Shit happens when you go out on the PK, blocking shots is part of your job. It's just unfortunate that he had to do it three times in a row.

Blame the rest of the Wild for not retrieving the puck so he could change, that would be equally as valid as blaming Weber for doing his job.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't think Weber was aiming for Ek.
But I'm with xpat, someone should've tried to put a beat down on him.
Respect for Ek, to take any of those and still get up for more.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yikes.... That's a ridiculous take.

Reactions: hockeyviking

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It's hilarious watching the Wild right now. Such a sorry team with little hope for the future. I hope they pick it up a bit as the season goes along and once again finish in that 10-14 range.
They’ve easily got the worst outlook of any franchise. In today’s nhl it’s one thing to be bad and talentless, and another if you’re paying 3 over the hill players (suter, parise and Zucc) a combined $21m for the next 5 years (6 for suter and parise).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Gusev hasn't been perfect by any means definitely still getting used to the NHL, but man that guy is a gamer, wish we grabbed him.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
If Weber had that kind of accuracy to hit a moving player 3/3 as hard as he was firing the puck dude would be a 40 goal scorer. He's just aiming on net, and Ek was crazy enough to get in the way of all 3.

But I guess I'd try and get a break from that wild team any way possible as well. :sarcasm:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stars lose again and are 1-7-1. Assuming you need 95 points to make the playoff, they need 92 points in the remaining 73 games. That's 46-27-0 (or 40-21-12 etc) rest of the season. If they don't snap out of it quickly, they might be out of it after two months of the season.

Reactions: Hennessy and Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad