2018-2019 Around the league thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm glad McPhee admitted this.

Let them do PED's, or don't let them, I don't care. I'm just sick and tired of guys getting caught in various sports and lying about it.

Pretending like it was an accident, or a tainted supplement, or tainted meat in Mexico, or picograms from an old tainted supplement that for some reason won't leave the body. It's all a bunch of BS.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Weird to see a team come out publicly and tell everyone their player knowingly took a banned substance. Unlike the NFL where there are non-guaranteed contracts, I don't think they can do anything with his deal either if they wanted to so I don't see the benefit.

The Kings tried it with Mike Richards, which was as sleazy and underhanded a move as I've ever seen an NHL team make, and the league let them "compromise" on a really team-friendly buyout (that one shouldn't have been allowed). Dean Lombardi even did the whole crocodile tears act at a presser once he "found out." Of course while all this was going on, they knowingly let Slava Voynov practice with the team even though he wasn't allowed to due to his pending domestic violence charges.

At least here, Vegas might have a leg to stand on, but I think it's more about just getting rid of a player they no longer want than any sort of "moral outrage."

Reactions: Avs_19

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I've never cared all that much for the between the legs goals, there are way more impressive plays every year, that one handed backhand goal from earlier tops these types 10/10 times for me.

Reactions: obZen

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Blame Lou for that, not Dubas.

Dubas signed all their biggest contracts though. Mathews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, and Ceci.

I think only Reilly, Andersen, and Timishov still have contracts that Lou was around for, and they're all pretty good deals.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dubas signed all their biggest contracts though. Mathews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, and Ceci.

I think only Reilly, Andersen, and Timishov still have contracts that Lou was around for, and they're all pretty good deals.

Ceci doesn't even have to happen if not for the fact that Dubas had to get rid of Zaitsev's terrible deal, and he also had to sacrifice quite a bit to dump Marleau as well.

The worst of it isn't Dubas's or Lamoriello's fault--the dead money tied up in both Clarkson and Horton can all be blamed on Leiweke and Nonis.

Dubas apparently does not have whatever silver tongue David Poile possesses to convince a high-end player to take less money in his RFA years. Part of that is just bad timing--players are no longer waiting until UFA to get paid. Dubas and the Leafs just happened to be on the cusp of that shift.

Not gonna sit here and say Dubas has done an outstanding, stellar job, but Lou did leave a bit of a mess for him, and I don't think he's done a terrible job cleaning it up.

Now we'll see if he has the balls to do what really needs to be done to make the Leafs better...fire the coach.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I fail to see the issue... they have an extra forward, they just can't go to a full 23 man roster without some moves. If they end up needing an extra player, maybe they give Tavares time off until Nov 10th to recover and LTIR him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ceci doesn't even have to happen if not for the fact that Dubas had to get rid of Zaitsev's terrible deal, and he also had to sacrifice quite a bit to dump Marleau as well.

The worst of it isn't Dubas's or Lamoriello's fault--the dead money tied up in both Clarkson and Horton can all be blamed on Leiweke and Nonis.

Dubas apparently does not have whatever silver tongue David Poile possesses to convince a high-end player to take less money in his RFA years. Part of that is just bad timing--players are no longer waiting until UFA to get paid. Dubas and the Leafs just happened to be on the cusp of that shift.

Not gonna sit here and say Dubas has done an outstanding, stellar job, but Lou did leave a bit of a mess for him, and I don't think he's done a terrible job cleaning it up.

Now we'll see if he has the balls to do what really needs to be done to make the Leafs better...fire the coach.

Clarkson and Horton are both LTIR'd though aren't they?

I would argue they didn't need to add Ceci at all, but that's just me.

I fail to see the issue... they have an extra forward, they just can't go to a full 23 man roster without some moves. If they end up needing an extra player, maybe they give Tavares time off until Nov 10th to recover and LTIR him.

They can't even go with a 21 man roster, let alone a 23 man roster.

If someone gets injured, they'll probably have to go with a shorthanded lineup because they aren't eligible for an emergency recall.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Clarkson and Horton are both LTIR'd though aren't they?

I would argue they didn't need to add Ceci at all, but that's just me.

And I think they would've found a way to dump him if not for Dermott's injury. I think that, more than anything else, is holding the Leafs back.

Scratch that--Babs playing Ceci for over 20 minutes a game is the biggest reason the Leafs are struggling. They also still suck at drawing penalties.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

But that doesn't affect them in the slightest. It doesn't count against the cap and they were given assets to take on those contracts. I fail to see the problem there. If an owner(ship group) wants to spend their money on guys who can't play, so be it. It's not like Horton is hobbling the Leafs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'll never understand why folks that post these things always need to play with the speed. Slow it down, then speed it up right before impact. Whenever that happens, it makes me instantly think the hit isn't that bad because someone is trying to make it look worse than it is.

Edit...in case anyone is wondering, I was talking about the Hall hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad