2018-2019 Around the league thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman does in Detroit. He does seem to come out on top in negotiations (going past July 1st with Stamkos, getting Kucherov on good contracts twice, getting Hedman on a good deal). He also lead a great drafting team.

We'll see how much of it is his ability and how much of it was Florida being an attractive location for players and getting the benefits of a great amateur scouting staff.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hunter has the potential to be good, but he's a huge wildcard and definitely meets Oilers criteria of old boys gang as HC executives. Wildcard aspect is that the CHL is a connections league and he wouldn't be able to pull of easy blockbusters or play the politic game for the import draft which favour his team so far in the OHL - which will ultimately reduce his talent as a GM in the NHL.

Hunter may be older school in age, but he was one of the most progressive minds in junior hockey and pushed the Leafs forward significantly. He's not just an old hockey guy that is all about grit...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman does in Detroit. He does seem to come out on top in negotiations (going past July 1st with Stamkos, getting Kucherov on good contracts twice, getting Hedman on a good deal). He also lead a great drafting team.

We'll see how much of it is his ability and how much of it was Florida being an attractive location for players and getting the benefits of a great amateur scouting staff.

Very good chance important pieces of that staff follow him in July. Yzerman's biggest strength is surrounding himself with the best people and trusting them to do their jobs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
McKenzie in his latest podcast spent some time speculating about a possible Mark Hunter (GM) and Dale Hunter (head coach) duo to save Edmonton. It was interesting.

Reactions: Foppberg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The Hunters vs. Holland and Tippett? I don't like D. Hunter but I also don't like Holland.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Here's a photo of HPK's equipment manager collecting thrown gear off the ice after they won the Finnish championship.

Too bad it's not a better quality photo, because it's awesome.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Speaking of the FEL finals, big defensive defenseman Jani Hakanpää should be one guy looking to come over to the NHL. I was sure he was going to be an NHL defenseman back when he first came over to the Wolves, but it didn't happen then. Better chance of him sticking now, just not much offensive upside.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Speaking of the FEL finals, big defensive defenseman Jani Hakanpää should be one guy looking to come over to the NHL. I was sure he was going to be an NHL defenseman back when he first came over to the Wolves, but it didn't happen then. Better chance of him sticking now, just not much offensive upside.
I'm more interested in Kaski but so is the rest of the league I guess!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm more interested in Kaski but so is the rest of the league I guess!
Yeah, I just thought of another name. Hakanpää doesn't have the upside to do anything that spectacular. He put up a few very solid seasons as a corner stone defenseman type, and is looking at a comeback to America. But as I said, I thought he was going to be a bottom pair guy the first go around, and that's what he's still going to be if he makes it.

I've talked to my brother about Kaski and he's expecting a full boom-or-bust type, knowing his playing style. So I have no idea what to expect there.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Yeah, I just thought of another name. Hakanpää doesn't have the upside to do anything that spectacular. He put up a few very solid seasons as a corner stone defenseman type, and is looking at a comeback to America. But as I said, I thought he was going to be a bottom pair guy the first go around, and that's what he's still going to be if he makes it.

I've talked to my brother about Kaski and he's expecting a full boom-or-bust type, knowing his playing style. So I have no idea what to expect there.
Kaski is full boom or bust. Could be a Niskala/Rundblad flop or a star but worth a gamble for teams. I don't see room for him on Avs tbh. I saw Jani Hakanpää linked strongly with Ducks.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Damn. I realize he's a dinosaur and his best days seem to be behind him.. but I think he could help them. They needed someone that wasn't going to just be a puppet.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Holland gets autonomy...I'm willing to be patient to see how that works out. For me I'm giving Holland a year from today to make some sort of improvements. Steps in the right direction are what the Oilers need now rather than just an attempt to completely right the ship in one year. We'll see what direction Holland intents to go in shortly.

As for Nicholson getting a bigger role. How does he a) deserve a bigger role? b) feels like he already has a massive role, how much bigger of a role can he possibly have apart from being owner?

Reactions: Balthazar

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
IMO, the Oilers are making a mistake with Holland. He hasn't been very good for some time now and he's inheriting a mess in Edmonton. I don't think he's the guy to get them out of it. Maybe if he brings a lot of smart people with him but even then I'm not sure.

Then again, I thought they were on the right track when they hired Chiarelli and McLellan so what do I know.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still remember the reaction of the Wings board after he drafted Rasmussen in 2017. :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Wings fans have hated Holland for years now. Oilers seem to be banking on the luck he had in prolonging Detroit's contender status. Not sure that's a great move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad