2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't care what you think of the Tavares / Isles situation, this arena atmosphere is fantastic. League needs more arenas / games with this sort of passion. Infinitely better than a bunch of stiffs in suits. You can tell it's really invigorating the Isles players too, they are really getting into it.

Nothing makes humans more "passionate" as the opportunity to take out all their frustrations on one thing.

There's more than one option between that and being a bunch of stiffs in suits.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I 100% side with Isles fans on this (except the dumbf***s who are throwing things, of course).

Sure Isles management could have traded him but Tavares told everyone he wanted to stay and Stamkos just did the same with Tampa and re-signed during the summer.

If Duchene told Sakic 2 years before becoming UFA that he should trade him now to get a better return, Tavares sure as f*** could have done the same before the deadline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I 100% side with Isles fans on this (except the dumb****s who are throwing things, of course).

Sure Isles management could have traded him but Tavares told everyone he wanted to stay and Stamkos just did the same with Tampa and re-signed during the summer.

If Duchene told Sakic 2 years before becoming UFA that he should trade him now to get a better return, Tavares sure as **** could have done the same before the deadline.

Massive difference between the Tampa organization and the Isles organization. Also a pretty big difference between the talent levels of the teams. Small difference between the state tax savings in Florida versus the high state taxes in NY as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's not the point at all.

It is if you're comparing Tavares going to Stamkos staying.

Honestly I don't see the big deal in saying he wanted to stay. That's what everyone says. It's a meaningless phrase at this point for pending UFA's. Everyone knew there was a good chance he'd leave, it shouldn't have come as a big surprise.

To me the dog and pony show that Parise and Suter put on is waaaay worse than what Tavares did.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I 100% side with Isles fans on this (except the dumb****s who are throwing things, of course).

If Duchene told Sakic 2 years before becoming UFA that he should trade him now to get a better return, Tavares sure as **** could have done the same before the deadline.
What in the **** is he supposed to say? The dude had a mic in his face for over a year with reporters asking him "what are you going to do"? As if the guy could flat out say "I'm out of here, going to Toronto."

Come on now.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What in the **** is he supposed to say? The dude had a mic in his face for over a year with reporters asking him "what are you going to do"? As if the guy could flat out say "I'm out of here, going to Toronto."

Come on now.

"My plan is to listen to what the market has to offer, you might be better trading me and we never know, make me an offer next summer because I like it here"

It's like you guys never had a job or something? If I'm going to leave my job to go somewhere else I'll do my best to not put my employer in trouble in the process. He knew the Isles would lose everything, come on.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
"My plan is to listen to what the market has to offer, you might be better trading me and we never know, make me an offer next summer because I like it here"

It's like you guys never had a job or something? If I'm going to leave my job to go somewhere else I'll do my best to not put my employer in trouble in the process. He knew the Isles would lose everything, come on.
You can't compare this to an every day job, it's not that simple.

Every day jobs don't have people getting traded. Every day jobs don't have free agency. The guy wanted to try making the playoffs with the Islanders.

You make it sound so black and white. As if Tavares is supposed to predict the Islanders being bad and request they trade him so he can go to a better team.

Also, he'd be one of the biggest idiots in history if he said what you proposed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I get what you're saying, but that's not really a comparable situation. You would have that conversation in private. Very different than a player having that conversation with the media, with the PR fallout that could come with it.

No GM would want them to say that publicly anyway. It would just tie their hands and very well could lower the players trade value, or prevent teams from trading for them at all, if they think they're set on free agency.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I get what you're saying, but that's not really a comparable situation. You would have that conversation in private. Very different than a player having that conversation with the media, with the PR fallout that could come with it.

No GM would want them to say that publicly anyway. It would just tie their hands and very well could lower the players trade value, or prevent teams from trading for them at all, if they think they're set on free agency.

I never said he should say it in public, he should have said it privately obviously.

Fans are rightfully pissed because he fooled everyone into thinking he'd stay which prevented the Isles from getting anything in return for their franchise player. That's a huge blow, we're talking major loss. Look at the return that the Sens got for Stone.

Do you think Duchene told Dorion that he liked it in Ottawa and to keep him because he'd re-sign with the Sens? No, Dorion knew he had to trade Duchene a whole week before the deadline. With Stone he knew 3 days before the deadline.

Duchene even said after he got traded from Colorado that HE told Sakic to trade him ASAP because he didn't plan to stay and he'd get a better return. That's not crazy stuff, players do show their cards to not screw their org. What Tavares did was very selfish and I lost all respect for him. f*** him and I'm glad they boo him.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I never said he should say it in public, he should have said it privately obviously.

Fans are rightfully pissed because he fooled everyone into thinking he'd stay which prevented the Isles to get anything in return of their franchise player.

Do you think Duchene told Dorion that he liked it in Ottawa and to keep him because he'd re-sign with the Sens? No, Dorion knew he had to trade Duchene a whole week before the deadline. With Stone he knew 3 days before the deadline.

Duchene even said after he got traded from Colorado that HE told Sakic to trade him ASAP because he didn't plan to stay and he'd get a better return. That's not crazy stuff, players do show their cards to not screw their org. What Tavares did was very selfish and I lost all respect for him. **** him and I'm glad they boo him.

Well we don't really know what he told the Isles. They should have traded Tavares sooner. That's on them. The Isles brought in Lou as a Hail Mary to keep Tavares. It didn't work. Lou even said their talks were very honest.

"In my dealings with John, he proved himself to be a sincere, honest young man," Lamoriello told NHL.com. "He earned the right to test free agency, and that's what he did.

The way things played out with Stamkos going all the way to July and re-signing is a rarity. They got lucky to be honest. That's a terrible strategy for a marquee player, unless you're willing to accept losing them for a playoff run.

Duchene told Sakic to trade him asap because he wanted off the team asap. He almost held out during training camp to force Sakic's hand, and then held that sour press conference putting on full display how unhappy he was to be there. To me his approach was way more selfish.

Last edited:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Duchene told Sakic to trade him asap because he wanted off the team asap. He almost held out during training camp to force Sakic's hand, and then held that sour press conference putting on full display how unhappy he was to be there. To me his approach was way more selfish.

To be fair:
He asked for a trade nearly a full year before that training camp. It was Sakic who held out a full year, which brought us a home-run (to be honest). And Duchene was under contract for nearly 2 years at that time. That´s not comparable to Tavares.

But yeah, that press conference and his face during training camp didn´t do him any favor, nor the fans and teammates. I´m happy with that deal. Duchene can choose his destination this summer (he wont resign with Columbus! That´s my opinion) and we get a chance for the main price this upcoming draft.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Come on now.

It has nothing to do with what he said to reporters. The guy went to Islanders management behind closed doors and told them not to trade him at the 2018 deadline because he wanted to stay and wanted to be part of the future.

That's simply a piece of shit move to do that and then bolt the moment he hits UFA.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well we don't really know what he told the Isles. They should have traded Tavares sooner. That's on them.

The way things played out with Stamkos going all the way to July and re-signing is a rarity. They got lucky to be honest.

This is why teams should almost always trade the marquee UFA-to-be, unless they are truly a top cup contending team that season. We heard this same nonsense with Stastny - “...but he told Sakic he would stay....”, blah, blah, blah. Asset management. ;)

If a top end player doesn’t sign before he hits UFA, that player is likely to sign one of the fattest contract offers presented. Like most anyone would.

Colorado is going to (again) be in this position come June, re: Barrie.

Reactions: Goulet17

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is why teams should almost always trade the marquee UFA-to-be, unless they are truly a top cup contending team that season. We heard this same nonsense with Stastny - “...but he told Sakic he would stay....”, blah, blah, blah. Asset management. ;)

If a top end player doesn’t sign before he hits UFA, that player is likely to sign one of the fattest contract offers presented. Like most anyone would.
This. Not really any different in the soccer world, exept there you sell and don't trade.

Reactions: klozge

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm quite impressed by the Yotes resiliency this season. They've been without Raanta all year essentially and I had certainly wrote them off the moment it was announced he was likely to miss the season.

But they've been hanging around the playoff picture and now they're getting hot at exactly the right time for a playoff push.

I hope we get in but if we miss out and the Yotes are the ones to beat us in I am ok with that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Can't blame the player. If the team Can't live with the risk of him walking either re-sign or trade him.

That's what we did with Duchene and ROR. Stastny we let go but I guess people were more sad about him leaving for nothing than him signing with St.Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad