2018-2019 Around the league thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just like you implied in your previous post though, tomorrow's game won't be easy and I hope the boys aren't overlooking it. Resting on the laurels of beating the Leafs at home would be a mistake. Hoping we come out hungry.

Sens will likely use the 1st round pick thing to get extra motivation to try to beat us. I trust our guys though...they know they have to build on yesterday's win and try to move on from that never-ending losing streak.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Sens will likely use the 1st round pick thing to get extra motivation to try to beat us. I trust our guys though...they know they have to build on yesterday's win and try to move on from that never-ending losing streak.

Agreed. Such a weird dynamic if you think about it. Our team will be playing to win with the side objective of improving our odds at a better draft pick which would undoubtedly be for a player that replaces someone on the current roster. Sens will be playing to win and also because they have nothing to tank for lol.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not bad...

"The most surprising thing on that whole sequence is that matheson didnt try to slam kotka well after the play." :laugh:

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In other news, Josh Ho-Sang showed up late to practice which is why he was sent down to the AHL. Guy is ruining his career.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Vegas outshot Winnipeg 26-7 in the second period and they lost that period 2-0. The first goal they gave up was a shorty. That's positively Avs-esque lol

Reactions: missionAvs

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
According to pretty much everyone who watch a lot of Sharks games Vlasic fell off a cliff this year. I didn't see that one coming...went from a guy who was very rarely making mistakes to pretty bad.
He is done as a top pairing guy, even calling him a #3 feels like I am overrating Vlasic. The Sharks games that I have seen he has looked like a borderline top 4 guy and the fanbase is constantly trashing his performance. 7 million until 25-26, hilariously bad contract especially when you realize he will get even worse down the road.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
My French buddy told me that he said he was sick of playing in Florida. The actual quote is:

'It's been 7 years that I've been here and I've made the playoffs once. I'm tired."

So it was a bit of broken telephone, but it's still a pretty revealing comment.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
My French buddy told me that he said he was sick of playing in Florida. The actual quote is:

'It's been 7 years that I've been here and I've made the playoffs once. I'm tired."

So nothing more than a tall tale.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Not really. He said he's tired of missing the playoffs not Florida.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs should trade for Huberdeau if he really wants out of Florida, would be just what they need on the 2nd line

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
EDIT: Fixed!

Down Goes Brown: What's the worst possible salary cap...

This is hilarious. :laugh: DGB did a best-possible team based on existing contracts, so he did the opposite and tried to construct the worst possible team while also staying under the cap. He ruled out "dead money" contracts like David Clarkson, didn't count split salaries (Dion Phaneuf, full cap hit and all, is there), and wanted to find contracts that not only screwed the team now, but down the road as well. Here's the results:

Lucic - Kesler - Neal
Abdelkader - Gagner - Nash
Beleskey - Glendening - Spooner
Comeau - Beagle - Weise

Phaneuf - Seabrook
Alzner - Zaitsev
Sbisa - Manning

Darling
Condon

Sbisa is the ONLY contract that comes off the books this year. Wow. :lol:

I especially loved this not-so-subtle jab...

We’ll start our third line with Luke Glendening at $1.8 million. I hear you; this one actually isn’t all that bad of a deal for a versatile player, even as it runs through 2021 for a bottom-six guy who’ll be well into his 30s. But we need to go cheap on at least a few of these, and I’m still having flashbacks to the 2018 trade deadline when he was about to be traded to Toronto and Leaf fans had a collective panic attack, so he’s in. And his relatively meager cap hits gives us enough room to surround him with Rangers’ AHLer Matt Beleskey at $3.8 million and Edmonton’s Ryan Spooner at $4 million. That saddles Glendening with one linemate who’s spent most of his season toiling away for a minor league organization. And also Matt Beleskey.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Down Goes Brown: What's the worst possible salary cap...

This is hilarious. :laugh: DGB did a best-possible team based on existing contracts, so he did the opposite and tried to construct the worst possible team while also staying under the cap. He ruled out "dead money" contracts like David Clarkson, didn't count split salaries (Dion Phaneuf, full cap hit and all, is there), and wanted to find contracts that not only screwed the team now, but down the road as well. Here's the results:

Lucic - Kesler - Neal
Abdelkader - Gagner - Neal
Beleskey - Glendening - Spooner
Comeau - Beagle - Weise

Phaneuf - Seabrook
Alzner - Zaitsev
Sbisa - Manning

Darling
Condon

Sbisa is the ONLY contract that comes off the books this year. Wow. :lol:

I especially loved this not-so-subtle jab...
Neal is so bad he’s in there twice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Out of nothing more than curiosity, what's the word on Kailer Yamamoto? Oilers seem to be doing everything they can to mess up his development but I've no idea if they're actually succeeding or if he's going to be a player in 1-2 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Out of nothing more than curiosity, what's the word on Kailer Yamamoto? Oilers seem to be doing everything they can to mess up his development but I've no idea if they're actually succeeding or if he's going to be a player in 1-2 years.

They haven't done anything to screw him up... gave him a cup of coffee last year, but ultimately sent him back. When he started off rough, they sent him down to build up his game and confidence.... then he got injured in his first game back after being called back up.

Reactions: Foppberg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy hell, I saw Oilers cap situation and just wow. They might realistically have to trade Draisaitl in the future just to fix the team and give them room to add more depth.

- Leon @ 8.5 million
- Lucic @ 6 million
- Spooner @ 3.1 million (Lol)
- Kassian @ 1.9 million isn't too bad, but for multiple years? Lol.
- Russell @ 4 million (High amount of mushrooms in Edmonton or what?)
- Manning @ 2.250 (That is 1.1 million dollars too high)
- Benning @ 1.9 (Again, that doesn't break the cap, but Benning is being paid 1.8 million too much for my liking)
- Sekera @ 5.5 (I wanted Avs to get Sekera, saw the contract, and was happy he chose them)

And who's going to come up and replace these players? Marody (underrated player though), Benson, Safin? Lol, not a single game breaker. Fortunately they got some good depth on defence with Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, Jones, and Bouchard. It only cost them Hall, no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad