2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Just watch Gadjovich's fight in Wednesday's game. That was a serious tilt.
You don't have a clip do you? I'd like to see it. I'm glad to hear he's improved a lot lately from the reports. Comets got a good thing going, I hope it continues right into the playoffs. Sounds like Leighton is playing good and they might get Mazanek too. About a week and a half from NHL/TD so there should be a couple more moves, I hope some of them help the Comets compete for the Calder. Those fans deserve it. They've sold out games since day one and stuck with it through some bad times.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You don't have a clip do you? I'd like to see it. I'm glad to hear he's improved a lot lately from the reports. Comets got a good thing going, I hope it continues right into the playoffs. Sounds like Leighton is playing good and they might get Mazanek too. About a week and a half from NHL/TD so there should be a couple more moves, I hope some of them help the Comets compete for the Calder. Those fans deserve it. They've sold out games since day one and stuck with it through some bad times.
Unfortunately no, I don't have the clip. I watched it on AHLtv.
It will be a struggle given all the Canucks injuries and call-ups. Demko, Brisebois, Gaudette, Schenn, MacEwen...that's a lot of extraction out of the line-up. I don't know the rules but I hope these guys are allowed to play in the Comets playoffs.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Can anyone who watches the games speak to the deployment Jasek is getting over Dahlen?
Does Jasek see much powerplay time? Who has the more favourable matchups?
Jasek only has one point on the powerplay, but with 20 points and being +7 it would indicate his even strength play has been pretty decent.
How often has either player been healthy-scratched?
Muchos gracias

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Can anyone who watches the games speak to the deployment Jasek is getting over Dahlen?
Jasek only has one point on the powerplay, but with 20 points and being +7 it would indicate his even strength play has been pretty decent.
Muchos gracias
Sure thing; the stats tell the tale. Dahlen gets all the power play deployment until the gravy is dripping from his chin. Jasek gets scratched a lot and get precious little pp time. Jasek has been in a tailspin but just had a big game Wednesday.

Jasek is the better even strength player. He gets almost no love here on the forum though.

Reactions: sting101

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Muchos gracias

Dahlen has only missed 4 games. He had a head injury and missed 3 straight for that.
He was scratched 1 game early on when Cull was rotating 6 of his kid forwards around to give them game time because Boucher, MacEwen, Archibald, Bancks, and Gaunce were not going to sit and that's 5 of the 8 forwards that can play on the wings on any given night. Recalls of Boucher, Archibald, and Kero along with injuries to the Comets opened some slots increasing game time for the kids. He was also just terrible the first few games.

Jasek has missed 4 games with an illness. He was scratched 9 times in alternating with Gadjovich, MacMaster, Lind, and Palmu. The awarding of game time boiled down to performance levels compared with the others and the situations I mentioned above. Jasek has been up and down in regards to the game he brings each night. The biggest knock against him is the unforced turnovers in his own end on the breakout and in the neutral zone. There was a stretch where he handled every puck on his stick not in a shooting area like a hand grenade and he just threw the puck away. He became the best of that bunch and has thus played the most games of those players.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Toronto just lost to Providence, which is a good result for Utica. The Marlies are now two points back of The Comets, with one game in hand.

Belleville and Cleveland took it to the shootout tonight, which is a slightly unfortunate result for Utica. Both of those teams still have a shot at moving into a playoff spot.

It'll be entertaining scoreboard watching tomorrow night, with Utica and Toronto both in action, and Belleville and Cleveland playing the second of their back-to-back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... if the Comets make the playoffs, could guys like Gaudette, Demko, MacEwen and Scheen all return for the playoff action?

YYY----------EEE------------SSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First add Brisebois to that list.

All that is necessary is for the Canucks to paper them down if they are on the Canucks roster at the paper deadline. ...

With the sudden rash of injuries there is a small chance that the minimum roster size could interfere with the Canucks' getting everyone papered back down. The potential problem comes from Article 16.4(b) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement which reads in part:

"Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. ..."

As of February 15 the Canucks, according to capfriendly.com, have a full active roster of 23 players. That roster includes Gaudette, MacEwen, Schenn, Brisebois and Mazanec. It does not include Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Dorsett or Demko, all of whom are on injured reserve.

If the trade deadline was today the Canucks could not paper Mazanec to the Comets (it would get them below two goalies) and could only paper three out of Gaudette, MacEwen, Schenn and Brisebois as papering down all four would get them below 18 skaters.

Demko's announced time line for his injury would have him back before the deadline and it is likely that at least one of Edler, Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi will be back. There are also ways to play with the roster size a bit. I'm no insider and have no experience whatsoever in massaging roster size under the CBA, but some possibilities include:

If Demko isn't ready to come off IRL they could recall Bachman to the Canucks, assign Mazanec to Utica, put Bachman on the IRL and then call Mazanec back up. That would cost the club the difference between Bachman's NHL and AHL pay prorated for the rest of the season. Note this would only work because the AHL, having a limit on game rosters but no limits on active rosters, doesn't need to have a provision for injured reserve.

The Canucks could get another slot to paper a skater down by doing with Olli Juolevi what I've suggested could be done with Richard Bachman.

Imo the best way to get another skater slot to paper someone to Utica would be to call up Sam Gagner on or before the trade deadline day and paper someone down to Utica. Then they could reassign Gagner to the Marlies and recall the papered down player from Utica (or if the coaches prefer just keep Gagner.) The Marlies would lose Gagner for the AHL playoffs and the Comets would have the possibility of playing the player papered down.

If they had a player on an NHL contract playing in the ECHL or sitting in the AHL pressbox unused in Utica they could temporarily call up the ECHL or pressbox player and get another slot to paper down. They'd gain the right to have the Comets play the player papered down in the AHL playoffs and lose the right to play the ECHL or pressbox player in the AHL playoffs. The problem with that is that I don't think the Canucks have anybody in Kalamazoo or in the pressbox in Utica to do that with.

If willing to spend a roster spot and some money they could claim a player on waivers and assign a player to be papered down to Utica. Then they could put the claimed player back on waivers (perhaps hoping to lose him) and recall the papered down player.

I don't think taking an injured player off the injured reserve list intending to put him back on after papering down another player works because to get a player off injured reserve a physician must certify the player "is not disabled and is able to perform his duties as an NHL Player, which duties include playing in NHL Games." (Collective Bargaining Agreement Exhibit 28-B.) Having a physician make that certification and then immediately certify the player as disabled isn't going to fly without the player suffering a fresh injury or fresh symptoms.

Some of you will likely be aware of ways of massaging an active roster that I haven't thought of. All this won't matter at all unless the Canucks have four or more skaters or a goalie on the injured reserve list at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
With the sudden rash of injuries there is a small chance that the minimum roster size could interfere with the Canucks' getting everyone papered back down. The potential problem comes from Article 16.4(b) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement which reads in part:

"Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. ..."

As of February 15 the Canucks, according to capfriendly.com, have a full active roster of 23 players. That roster includes Gaudette, MacEwen, Schenn, Brisebois and Mazanec. It does not include Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi, Dorsett or Demko, all of whom are on injured reserve.

If the trade deadline was today the Canucks could not paper Mazanec to the Comets (it would get them below two goalies) and could only paper three out of Gaudette, MacEwen, Schenn and Brisebois as papering down all four would get them below 18 skaters.

Demko's announced time line for his injury would have him back before the deadline and it is likely that at least one of Edler, Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi will be back. There are also ways to play with the roster size a bit. I'm no insider and have no experience whatsoever in massaging roster size under the CBA, but some possibilities include:

They could call up Sam Gagner on the trade deadline day and paper someone down to Utica. Then they could reassign Gagner to the Marlies and recall the papered down player from Utica. The Marlies would lose Gagner for the AHL playoffs and the Comets would have the possibility of playing the papered down player.

If Demko isn't ready to come off IRL they could recall Bachman to the Canucks, assign Mazanec to Utica, put Bachman on the IRL and then call Mazanec back up. That would cost the club the difference between Bachman's NHL and AHL pay prorated for the rest of the season. Note this would only work because the AHL, having a limit on game rosters but no limits on active rosters, doesn't need to have a provision for injured reserve.

The Canucks could get another slot to paper a skater down by doing with Olli Juolevi what I've suggested could be done with Richard Bachman.

Imo the best way to get another skater slot to paper someone to Utica would be to call up Sam Gagner on or before the trade deadline day and paper someone down to Utica. Then they could reassign Gagner to the Marlies and recall the papered down player from Utica (or if the coaches prefer just keep Gagner.) The Marlies would lose Gagner for the AHL playoffs and the Comets would have the possibility of playing the player papered down.

If they had a player on an NHL contract playing in the ECHL or sitting in the AHL pressbox unused in Utica they could temporarily call up the ECHL or pressbox player and get another slot to paper down. They'd gain the right to have the Comets play the player papered down in the AHL playoffs and lose the right to play the ECHL or pressbox player in the AHL playoffs. The problem with that is that I don't think the Canucks have anybody in Kalamazoo or in the pressbox in Utica to do that with.

If willing to spend a roster spot and some money they could claim a player on waivers and assign a player to be papered down to Utica. Then they could put the claimed player back on waivers (perhaps hoping to lose him) and recall the papered down player.

I don't think taking an injured player off the injured reserve list intending to put him back on after papering down another player works because to get a player off injured reserve a physician must certify the player "is not disabled and is able to perform his duties as an NHL Player, which duties include playing in NHL Games." (Collective Bargaining Agreement Exhibit 28-B.) Having a physician make that certification and then immediately certify the player as disabled isn't going to fly without the player suffering a fresh injury or fresh symptoms.

Some of you will likely be aware of ways of massaging an active roster that I haven't thought of. All this won't matter at all unless the Canucks have four or more skaters or a goalie on the injured reserve list at the trade deadline.

You are making a huge assumption that there is one guy on the Canucks management team than has the slightest idea how to go about this.

Then you have to assume that Benning would even want to do it.

It's easier for Benning to say it wasn't in the plans to do such or blame someone else for not having done it.

Ghost GM Johnson should currently be all over this and looking for every possible way to get HIS PLAYERS papered for a playoff run and making sure it gets done? What are the chances that's happening.

Do you believe Benning actually has the balls to recall Gagner and cost him to the Marlies for their playoff run.?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You are making a huge assumption that there is one guy on the Canucks management team than has the slightest idea how to go about this.

Then you have to assume that Benning would even want to do it.

It's easier for Benning to say it wasn't in the plans to do such or blame someone else for not having done it.

Ghost GM Johnson should currently be all over this and looking for every possible way to get HIS PLAYERS papered for a playoff run and making sure it gets done? What are the chances that's happening.

Do you believe Benning actually has the balls to recall Gagner and cost him to the Marlies for their playoff run.?

I'm not making any assumption at all, just pointing out the potential issue and a layperson's suggestions of how to deal with it if necessary. I didn't say what I expect Canucks' management would do and expect that you're aware my expectations of Benning are really, really low.

Reactions: lindgren

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

They could call up Sam Gagner on the trade deadline day and paper someone down to Utica. Then they could reassign Gagner to the Marlies and recall the papered down player from Utica. The Marlies would lose Gagner for the AHL playoffs and the Comets would have the possibility of playing the papered down player.

One comment regarding your Gagner scenario. If he is recalled before the deadline and not papered down he can't be sent to the AHL at anytime the rest of the season....not just the playoffs. The wildcard in all of this is emergency recalls since they have so many injuries. I've never been able to get my head around emergency recalls and how they effect waiver status and AHL eligibility atfer the trade deadline. There may be some benefits to using the emergency recall status instead of regular recall.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
One comment regarding your Gagner scenario. If he is recalled before the deadline and not papered down he can't be sent to the AHL at anytime the rest of the season....not just the playoffs. The wildcard in all of this is emergency recalls since they have so many injuries. I've never been able to get my head around emergency recalls and how they effect waiver status and AHL eligibility atfer the trade deadline. There may be some benefits to using the emergency recall status instead of regular recall.

Thanks for this information.

Is there a place online where the text of AHL roster rules (including the veteran, veteran exempt and playoff and other eligibility rules) can be read or downloaded? Several times a year I wish they were available to refer to.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not making any assumption at all, just pointing out the potential issue and a layperson's suggestions of how to deal with it if necessary. I didn't say what I expect Canucks' management would do and expect that you're aware my expectations of Benning are really, really low.

"you're aware my expectations of Benning are really, really low"
That I am as am I.

The "you" in my post was not directed at you specifically, but was a ------ (forget the word for it--- euphimistic?) you.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As of this moment the Comets will be playing the Penguins with exactly 6 D-men on the roster unless one of Blujus or Graham is reacitvated and I have heard nothing of a recovery regarding either player. Cull always likes to play it dangerously in these situations where Green always had players in reserve. If they have an injury tonight a player will have to be rushed to Utica by 5 pm game time on Sunday. Kalamazoo is in Michigan. They are at home tonight vs Adirondack (which is close to Utica so they are in Michigan as well) and will travel to Toledo for a Sunday game after their game tonight.

They also only have one forward in reserve unless Bancks is reactivated and the same issue is true of him as Graham and Blujus.

They have the rest of the day to work this out, but time is the issue for a player to get packed up and get transportation to W-B/Scranton or to Utica ahead of time for Sunday which would be easier. He's played forwards on D and D-men up front in the past in these situations when he ran out of players. Dumb when it's avoidable.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Spooner for Gagner trade has interesting implications for the Comets. The Marlies are now (one presumes, anyway) without Gagner, while the Comets are likely to get the addition of Spooner (unless he gets loaned somewhere for family reasons -- wouldn't surprise me). It could make a difference as a tight battle for playoff position enters the final stretch.

Reactions: Hit the post

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The Spooner for Gagner trade has interesting implications for the Comets. The Marlies are now (one presumes, anyway) without Gagner, while the Comets are likely to get the addition of Spooner (unless he gets loaned somewhere for family reasons -- wouldn't surprise me). It could make a difference as a tight battle for playoff position enters the final stretch.
Sounds like Spooner will be up after the raid trip
Mac probably heads down

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
#1 The Spooner for Gagner deal at least gets Gagner out of Toronto so the Comets don't have to watch one of their own playing against them.
#2 The Comets will be getting somebody back down here to start filling the huge losses suffered in Utica due to another Vancouver injury plague. Any one of Spooner, MacEwen, or Gaudette would be welcome.

Spooner is going to be called up after the Canucks current road trip. I think Mac gets returned.

When/If Sutter is back Gaudette will be returned or Spooner if he proves not to satisfy Green.

I can't see Benning willing to waive any of those (e.g. Schaller/Granlund) that Vancouver posters are hoping to get rid of. Not with the TDL looming and Benning hoping to possibly get SOMETHING for them rather than risk losing them off the waiver wire. He hasn't had good luck with waivers.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Would guess that Spooner will not make a quick stop in Utica for tomorrow's afternoon game before he gets the call from Vancouver. They could really use a Gaudette fill-in at #2 center. LOL

California to Utica and then back to Vancouver over 2 days seems highly illogical. Would be nice though. HaHa

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sure thing; the stats tell the tale. Dahlen gets all the power play deployment until the gravy is dripping from his chin. Jasek gets scratched a lot and get precious little pp time. Jasek has been in a tailspin but just had a big game Wednesday.

Jasek is the better even strength player. He gets almost no love here on the forum though.
this is gold

Yes i doubt you guys get any help this weekend.

MacEwen i would think goes back when Virtanen comes back and Spooner should light a fire under Granlund Goldobin provide a bit of a spark and will push someone else down or himself as we get some more warm bodies. Good god is our defense gonna get murdered until Edler and Tanev are back. Any team with a decent forecheck and some skill is gonna kill us.

Sam Gagner should be Bennings #1fan after all of this also. Huge solid to get him somewhere he's had success and can play in the NHL and Spooner is a bad NHLer but gives us some needed depth and is at least in the mix not playing against us.

We'll see how this deadline unfolds but the Comets have potential to be a contender if things play out properly....i wont hold my breath but at least it has intrigue

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not actually sure there's a place for Spooner in VanCity right now. He's a natural center, and Gaudette is rapidly playing his way on to the Canucks roster permanently. And Sutter is apparently back in a couple of weeks.

And with Virtanen possibly gone for some time, they need MacEwen's physical play a lot more than a perimeter player like Spooner who's never demonstrated all that much playing in the NHL as a winger.

I hope they leave him at center for the Comets for time being.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Leighton is in goal again for the Comets. Utica started a forward line of Pyatt, Boucher and Kero. Sautner and Graham on D.

Belleville has scored early in the first to take the lead against Cleveland.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2/16/19
Utica Comets at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Forwards:
Pyatt/Kero/Boucher
Daklen/Woods/Jasek
Gadjovich/Hamilton/Arseneau
Gaunce/Darcy/Lind

D-Pairs:
LeBlanc/Sifers
McEneny/Chatfield
Sautner/Graham

Graham back in the lineup after missing 7 games.

Goal - Leighton

Scratches:
Bachman - LTIR
Juolevi - LTIR
Blujus - WTW
Bancks - DTD

Healthy -
Saucerman
Gardiner
Kulbakov
Bancks

Last edited: