2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
**** Hergott 3,000 miles away in Vancouver.The only so called top prospects still here at the moment are dahlen, Lind and gadjovich.

Dahlen is coming on.
Lind needs another year.
Gadjovich is way off the mark.
Chatfield was a dream.
McEneny only has 1 and 1/2 legs.
Sautner just keeps getting injured.

Who else is he talking about?
Hergott is a good guy and was defending the Comets against the typical commentary that comes out of Vancouver's digital media complaining about lack of ice time for some of the rookies in Utica. The "Utica doesn't develop anyone because they play vets over kids" crowd. Cory watches every Comets game and stands up to his colleagues that just look at stats and video highlights.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hergott is a good guy and was defending the Comets against the typical commentary that comes out of Vancouver's digital media complaining about lack of ice time for some of the rookies in Utica. The "Utica doesn't develop anyone because they play vets over kids" crowd. Cory watches every Comets game and stands up to his colleagues that just look at stats and video highlights.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the guy who just released an article doing just that. Who was that guy? I want to keep them clear since they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
We need a fridge gif
Sorry brother, I missed this one live, just catching the replay now :thumbu:

GOOOOOAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lvUgtjb.gif

Reactions: UticaHockey

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the guy who just released an article doing just that. Who was that guy? I want to keep them clear since they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
If it is the article that I'm thinking of it was JD Burke who coincidentally hired Hergott to cover the Comets on Canuck Army. But must of the Vancouver digital media is very critical of the Comets. Cory is very much the exception.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Don’t recall anyone with a brain claiming these prospects are fast
Gaudette has always been an okay skater
Lind’s skating has always been his biggest weakness
Dahlen was never praised for his skating ability either

Did you just read @VanJack's post? Are you saying he and the others don't have a brain? Okay, but they have been on here telling us they are fast.

Thanks, I went back and fixed the gist of that speed line and where it came from.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If it is the article that I'm thinking of it was JD Burke who coincidentally hired Hergott to cover the Comets on Canuck Army. But must of the Vancouver digital media is very critical of the Comets. Cory is very much the exception.

Burke was the guy. I was just told that by a guy at the rail last night. Senior moment.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Megaterio Llamas

Could what's going on in Vancouver tonight have been foreseen when Benning decided to go without an NHL contracted goalie in Utica, follow up with Demko going down and JR Di Pietro called up on an NHL special rule for an emergency situation? Now Markstrom is unable to go and the worst case scenario has played out. Neither the Vancouver Canucks nor the Utica Comets have a healthy NHL contracted goalie.

I think I have discussed this exact scenario with you.

Only in the movies. 3 goals on 5 shots thus far with 11:15 left the first and the Canucks have 0 shots on net.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
@Megaterio Llamas

Could what's going on in Vancouver tonight have been foreseen when Benning decided to go without an NHL contracted goalie in Utica, follow up with Demko going down and JR Di Pietro called up on an NHL special rule for an emergency situation? Now Markstrom is unable to go and the worst case scenario has played out. Neither the Vancouver Canucks nor the Utica Comets have a healthy NHL contracted goalie.

I think I have discussed this exact scenario with you.

Only in the movies. 3 goals on 5 shots thus far with 11:15 left the first and the Canucks have 0 shots on net.
Yes we certainly have discussed it here for the past several weeks, you were bringing it up almost daily in the days after Philly claimed McKenna. It's been kind of like waiting for dooms day in slow motion. Of course the fan reaction in the game thread last night was predictable. But then, all of this was so predictable wasn't it.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well boys put your life vests on. Gaudette gets recalled and the amazing super talented Reid Gardner (53Pts/36GP) has been recalled from Kalamazoo. He has racked up 0Pts/5GP this season in Utica.

Demko, MacEwen, Gaudette to Vancouver.

Leighton, Mazanec, Gardiner to Utica.

Centers now will be:

Kero
Gaunce Yes?/No?/Please! Darcy stays on LW and the other 3 are 2-4:
Woods
Darcy
Hamilton

I know the Canucks have injuries and a trade was made to make Demko a Canuck and that's the way it goes on the farm, but this has just ripped the heart out of the Comets Playoff hopes.

Chaput waived again. We'll see him tomorrow with Grenier and Shinkaruk.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Well boys put you life vests on. Gaudette gets recalled and the amazing super talented Reid Gardner (53Pts/36GP) has been recalled from Kalamazoo. He has racked up 0Pts/5GP this season in Utica.

Demko, MacEwen, Gaudette to Vancouver.

Leighton, Mazanec, Gardiner to Utica.

Centers now will be:

Kero
Gaunce Yes?/No?/Please! Darcy stays on LW and the other 3 are 2-4:
Woods
Darcy
Hamilton

I know the Canucks have injuries and a trade was made to make Demko a Canuck and that's the way it goes on the farm, but this has just ripped the heart out of the Comets Playoff hopes.

Chaput waived again. We'll see him tomorrow with Grenier and Shinkaruk.

just hope Benning papers them all for the AHL playoffs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
just hope Benning papers them all for the AHL playoffs.

They are going to have to qualify first.

Not qualifying them would be criminal management control.

There would absolutely be no excuse not to paper Demko, Gaudette, and MacEwen (providing the last 2 are still up there anyways). None of these players are established permanent NHL players, are the typical quality guys NHL teams paper, and would all benefit from a playoff run. They would be it unless Brisebois by some stretch of the imagination is still in the pressbox on paper day.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
As I have been saying all along; I just can't wait to see what Benning's plans were for those five contract spots.

It has to be big stuff at this point :)
Wait - I think he only has one left now assuming they sign an NCAA player and Hughes. 3 slots as of now. One left for the TDL

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They are going to have to qualify first.

Not qualifying them would be criminal management control.
Well you think everyone eligible should be qualified. Including players that have clearly outgrown the AHL. I highly doubt they paper many players. Maybe Demko if he has limited games down the stretch

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Mazanec does solve the mystery of spot #5.

I'm admittedly fascinated by this, since it has hamstrung the org for months now - I sure hope it's good ;)
I think they are tracking a few NCAA defenders closely...I imagine they wanted max flexibility for the TDL and then a series of injuries has screwed them over. It’s pretty entertaining :)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Mazanec does solve the mystery of spot #5.

I'm admittedly fascinated by this, since it has hamstrung the org for months now - I sure hope it's good ;)

Now what does management do in Utica. Does Ghost Johnson make the decision or does Benning.

Kulbakov - An ECHL player on an AHL contract who has played more games this season than any other Comets goalie.
23 GP/ 76 GA/ 10-8-3-2/ 3.54/ .893

Leighton - On an AHL PTO.
4 GP/ 11 GA/ 3-1-0-0/ 2.76/ .912

Mazanec - Newly acquired by Vancouver and is on an NHL contract.
With Hartford:
20 GP/ 58 GA/ 7-8-4/ 3.01/ .903

We know Mazanec is a fixture whether he plays good or bad. His numbers in Hartford are not all that impressive.

Leighton has seemingly settled in. Has looked shaky at times, but was definitely rusty. He has defeated some good teams. Seems to control his D and communicates with them after whistles as to what he prefers them to do.

Ivan deserves all the credit in the world for what he has done, but he simply gives up too many goals. Now with the offense stripped of 2 of it's top players the D is going to have to be stingier and the keeping has got to be a big part of that.

Personally, if I'm Cull, I want to keep all 3 of them around for a bit so I can assess which 2 give me my best chances. I also need to know if Mazanec automatically becomes #1 or do I have the option to select my own 2 out of the 3.

Right now, I think Ivan goes back to Kalamazoo and I let the other two vets battle it out for the rights to #1 and I don't care if Mazanec is on a Vancouver contract. I know he isn't a prospect and I know he's a UFA that won't be here next year unless they trade Bachman. He's owed nothing and his ice time should, as it should be for the other 2 as well, be based on meritocracy.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Does Ghost Johnson make the decision or does Benning.
Okay, just for starters, this one smells like Mr Aquilini following the CDC forums and refusing to believe Mikey can't get the job done until he sees it with his own eyes. No other explanation explains this level of incompetence for me. Frankie wouldn't sign off on a deal for five weeks; needed to get on twitter and have his nose rubbed in it for three hours last night.

My hunch ;)

Reactions: Canadian Club
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad