2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I understand once you get past the first dozen picks in a draft you are often drafting based on some aspects a player does really really well at their current level. Lind was an offensive force so I understand that aspect and not knowing much about the player it seemed a good pick. It's clear that in addition to those things a player does really well they should also have acceptable skating ability. It doesn't appear Lind does. If he wants to progress in hockey beyond his first contract he's going to seriously concentrate on his skating.

And really he can look at his teammate Reid Boucher to see how skating ability is the difference between spot duty in the NHL and a $5+ million dollar guy in the NHL (honestly, despite his defensive issues if he could skate he'd be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL every year).

There's also the fact that the 2017 NHL draft simply might not be very good, especially depth wise.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There's also the fact that the 2017 NHL draft simply might not be very good, especially depth wise.

Might be but it appears that in this day and age if a guy can't skate he doesn't have a chance.

And that's not to say he can't improve his skating...many players have. But he'll need to work hard at it.

IGUG41

May 5, 2017
This saucerman stuff is really weird... A PTO that has played. 1 game ........

Pretty much tells me fans are looking for anyone to watch or root for..... Also tells me most of the players on the team are not too popular other than Boosh, Archie, Demko and Big Mac....

Agree! maybe a closer look at the players who have worked hard without much fanfare. Blujus spent the summer getting stronger and recovering a promising career despite a coach's best efforts to crash and burn all while caring for his father with ALS...now that's a story and worth a t-shirt

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
A bit early to say this. And Lind was picked above Comtios, Formenton & Andersson-Dolan who all look like NHL players from that 2nd round alone.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A bit early to say this. And Lind was picked above Comtios, Formenton & Andersson-Dolan who all look like NHL players from that 2nd round alone.

Gadjovich and Lind are both probably in the bottom 5 guys of the 31 players selected in that round right now.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah don’t think taking the moral high ground on a hockey forum works for you FAN

Were you responding to something? Do you know what taking the moral high ground even means? Taking issue with a poster calling “nice guys” turds just because he dislikes their ability to play hockey in the NHL is not taking the moral high ground, at least not to me. But you may have a lower standard of morality which is fine.

Might be but it appears that in this day and age if a guy can't skate he doesn't have a chance.

And that's not to say he can't improve his skating...many players have. But he'll need to work hard at it.

I agree. His first steps quickness was a weakness and looks like it still needs a lot of work. The Canucks reportedly really like his hockey iq so he can be quicker once he gets better at reading and anticipating plays at this level as well.

He does have a much taller frame to grow into compared to Reid Boucher and I think Lind has better puck skills. Boucher has a shot that Lind will never have. They really aren’t comparable players.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I agree. His first steps quickness was a weakness and looks like it still needs a lot of work. The Canucks reportedly really like his hockey iq so he can be quicker once he gets better at reading and anticipating plays at this level as well.

He does have a much taller frame to grow into compared to Reid Boucher and I think Lind has better puck skills. Boucher has a shot that Lind will never have. They really aren’t comparable players.

That's how I felt about Lind, too. Other than his skating he had a well-rounded skill set by 19YO WHLer standards.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So is Utica bad for prospect development or do Lind and Gadjovich just not cut it?

You can criticize player development when a player starts well and goes nowhere - like a Jordan Subban.

Lind and Gadjovich aren’t even close to keeping up with the AHL pace and wouldn’t be playing more than a fringe role for any AHL squad.

The way Johnson talks the player development program going on in Vancouver is a phenomenon and we should all trust the process

I’ve kinda defended Johnson in the past but when he said last night that Lind was ‘playing up in the lineup’ you actually do have to question if he’s watching the games.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I am under the impression that Johnson will pretty much say anything to make himself look better........ I am not impressed with him at all........

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
"I am not taking the moral high ground, I just have higher moral standards than you."

This has to be self parody.

This is a thing that you see a lot in conservative political commentary, climate change denial, anti-vax, and other places where people realize they don’t actually have - or aren’t capable of generating- a real argument, but lack the ability to accept this, and so they end up just running around feigning shock, and gasping “how dare you” all day long about weird tangential elements of a conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad