2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Really think Schaller could benefit from a couple of weeks in Utica.

Played 4:12 yesterday. Not killing penalties anymore.

0 goals.

No chance he gets claimed, send him down bring up Gagner and showcase him for a trade.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
My preferred course of action upon Sutter's return is for Schaller to be parked in the press box while Gaudette is sent back to Utica. Gaudette needs to play and learn; I like his effort level and defensive responsibility but he needs to work on his offensive game.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really think Schaller could benefit from a couple of weeks in Utica.

Played 4:12 yesterday. Not killing penalties anymore.

0 goals.

No chance he gets claimed, send him down bring up Gagner and showcase him for a trade.
Perfect. If Schaller were to clear waivers and be sent down, the Canucks would have $3.9m tied up in two players plying their trade in the minors, and like Gagner he's signed through the end of next season.

You have to seriously wonder whether anyone in the Canucks hockey ops department has even the slightest reddening of the face when they watch tape of these two guys. How can the Canucks consistently whiff in singing UFA's?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
AHLtv has a holiday discount if any hasn't gotten it yet, like me. I'll get it tomorrow and watch these intense rivalry's they've been having. It's great they have an On Demand section. I've been following this thread and the great work from you guys. Have to see those games against Binghampton and Springfeild.Binghampton Devils again tonight, will it get chippy again?
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | The official website of the American Hockey League

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
AHLtv has a holiday discount if any hasn't gotten it yet, like me. I'll get it tomorrow and watch these intense rivalry's they've been having. It's great they have an On Demand section. I've been following this thread and the great work from you guys. Have to see those games against Binghampton and Springfeild.Binghampton Devils again tonight, will it get chippy again?
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | The official website of the American Hockey League
I don't think you can watch games played before you ordered the service. In fact I know you can't; I tried when I ordered.

But you can watch any game played from the time you order whenever you want. It'as a really good service.

Reactions: timbermen

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think you can watch games played before you ordered the service. In fact I know you can't; I tried when I ordered.

But you can watch any game played from the time you order whenever you want. It'as a really good service.
I'll have to miss this one but i'll have the updates from you, thank you, bro.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Woahoa!! Highlight reel goal from Big Mac. Got his speed up through the neutral zone and walked around the D after accepting the pass and dekes Mackenzie Blackwood to make it 1-0 Utica...

Feb 20, 2013
Why is Granlund an NHL player?

Again, literally every metric you can imagine tells us that this player is not NHL caliber at any aspect of the game. His offensive production is abysmal. He bleeds goals defensively. He’a wretched on the PK. He stinks on the PP. He can’t win faceoffs.

The only reason he’s an ‘NHL player’ is because this team has shot itself in the foot by keeping gun on an NHL roster for 3 years.

And I’m not advertising Kero as a world-bearer or anything like that. But he can do better than the trash we’re getting from Granlund and has done better in the past.

Who has argued that?

The downfall of the organization is the completely incompetent GM who can’t evaluate talent or manage a salary cap. Who ****s the bed in free agency every year. Who hasn’t found a capable NHL defender in 5 years.

However, this is a pretty in-depth discussion board where topical smaller issues are discussed and the role and progression of everyone in the organization is analyzed. And the idiocy of some of these smaller moves or decisions on lesser players is a Rosetta Stone into understanding how badly this team is run.

Firstly, I will not be condescended to. I know exactly what this forum is about thank-you.

Secondly, I am going to be pointedly harsh with you because you are a well respected member of this community, but you have produced a lot of what I will call Manure Statements (MS) lately (Your objections to the Carcone-Leivo trade are another example). Other posters invest a certain amount of trust in those who have the time to more closely follow our prospects (in Utica and elsewhere) and I just hope too many aren't misled by the tired anti-Benning analysis.

Similarly, you argued that Pouliot and Granlund are "turds" that the organization is attempting to "polish". Despite the obvious puns, these are fine depth players who are youngish and who were acquired for players (Pedan and Shinkaruk) with no real NHL futures. Even if they aren't necessarily superb NHLers, no one expects them to be and they are not unnecessarily occupying the Canucks' resources.

Yes our GM does not seem to be the most astute guy in the league, but he is hardly "completely incompetent". He is a middling GM with a rebuilding team in a market where fan and media over-analysis has generated an obscene narrative of organizational ineptitude that is simply false. Succeeding as an NHL gm is largely a snowball (win-more) scenario where sheer randomness plays a large role in defining the outcomes for a given team. Simply put, if your team is blessed with a few important, largely random "wins" such as winning a draft lottery, or a game 7 in overtime, the perception of organizational aptitude far outweighs the true merits of these outcomes. For our "in-depth discussion" on this board to have any merit, we have to learn to separate the wheat (the Ericsson contract for instance) from the chaff (Granlund's role), so that we are at least flinging dung across this metaphorical hay-field in such a manner as to fertilize the seeds of cogent discussion.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Lind continues to stink it up out there tonight going offside on the rush etc, passing is always way off the mark. Meanwhile Gadjovich hasn't suited up since his better game...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
1-0 Utica over Binghamton after one. MacEwen from Gaunce and Graham. Demko in net. Shots 6-3 Utica (4 of the Comets' shots from MacEwen).

Any truth to the rumour that Palmu left his car behind in the arena parking lot?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
1-0 Utica over Binghamton after one. MacEwen from Gaunce and Graham. Demko in net. Shots 6-3 Utica (4 of the Comets' shots from MacEwen).

Any truth to the rumour that Palmu left his car behind in the arena parking lot?
I remember hearing the same rumours about Artem Chubarov when he went back to Russia from Vancouver.Left his car in some parking lot.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I remember hearing the same rumours about Artem Chubarov when he went back to Russia from Vancouver.Left his car in some parking lot.

That's what I was referencing in what was my slight attempt at humour (suggesting Palmu will never return).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Firstly, I will not be condescended to. I know exactly what this forum is about thank-you.

You clearly needed to condescended to because your last post was a BS strawman. Nobody has ever said that the biggest problem with the organization is Schaller playing over Gaunce.

1440 said:
Secondly, I am going to be pointedly harsh with you because you are a well respected member of this community, but you have produced a lot of what I will call Manure Statements (MS) lately (Your objections to the Carcone-Leivo trade are another example). Other posters invest a certain amount of trust in those who have the time to more closely follow our prospects (in Utica and elsewhere) and I just hope too many aren't misled by the tired anti-Benning analysis.

Please explain what you take issue with about my comments about the Carcone-Leivo trade. Other than having an opinion that didn’t line up with the majority one and that I did my best to back up.

Also, both Carcone and Dahlen were acquired by Benning and my opinions on these players were identical before and after the trade. Likewise both Kero and Granlund were acquired by Benning. Explain how this is ‘anti-Benning analysis’.

1440 said:
Similarly, you argued that Pouliot and Granlund are "turds" that the organization is attempting to "polish". Despite the obvious puns, these are fine depth players who are youngish and who were acquired for players (Pedan and Shinkaruk) with no real NHL futures. Even if they aren't necessarily superb NHLers, no one expects them to be and they are not unnecessarily occupying the Canucks' resources.

No, they aren’t ‘fine depth players’.

They’re awful AHL-level players who are being forced onto the roster due to poor management.

Again, literally every metric available (plus the eye test) tells us pretty conclusively how ineffective these players are. I notice you make no effort to rebut the evidence I presented, present no evidence of your own, and resort to nothing but vagueries when discussing these players.

1440 said:
Yes our GM does not seem to be the most astute guy in the league, but he is hardly "completely incompetent". He is a middling GM with a rebuilding team in a market where fan and media over-analysis has generated an obscene narrative of organizational ineptitude that is simply false. Succeeding as an NHL gm is largely a snowball (win-more) scenario where sheer randomness plays a large role in defining the outcomes for a given team. Simply put, if your team is blessed with a few important, largely random "wins" such as winning a draft lottery, or a game 7 in overtime, the perception of organizational aptitude far outweighs the true merits of these outcomes. For our "in-depth discussion" on this board to have any merit, we have to learn to separate the wheat (the Ericsson contract for instance) from the chaff (Granlund's role), so that we are at least flinging dung across this metaphorical hay-field in such a manner as to fertilize the seeds of cogent discussion.

Benning has proven unequivocally that he’s a completely incompetent GM who is terrible at pretty much every aspect of his job. This has been documented here over and over again.

That he’s made big bad moves doesn’t mean we should ignore small bad moves.

Reactions: vanuck and Jyrki21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad