GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Kamenev injury comes at the worst possible time for him. He was playing well and was easily better than the others he was competing with for a spot. The Ghetto injury also would've opened up minutes for him in the lineup.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Too bad about Kamenev but I assume when he's healthy he'll have a spot.

Also, does Dries have any potential? Or has just worked his ass off to be a 4th liner for us?

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Also, does Dries have any potential? Or has just worked his ass off to be a 4th liner for us?

I'd say he has some even if his upside is limited (he's not going to be a top liner or anything). There is a solid shot there and some offensive talent. Bourque with some offensive pop.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Can someone help me understand the difference between Injured Reserve and Injured Non-Roster?

Also good for Dries. I like a good camp underdog success story.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone help me understand the difference between Injured Reserve and Injured Non-Roster?

IR has to be used for players who played in the NHL last year. The NHL will calculate a cap hit based upon the number of games and salary. The non-roster doesn't count against the cap.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Too bad about Kamenev but I assume when he's healthy he'll have a spot.

I take him over Toninato because I think he's a bit better offensively but he'll only be an injury replacement imo.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is one of the best pieces I've read on MacKinnon. I highly recommend it.

Couple of interesting parts:

Today, Sakic maintains an open-door policy with MacKinnon, welcoming suggestions on everything from roster construction to breakfast menus. They also golf several times a year; Sakic is around a one handicap, according to MacKinnon. “Barely even talk about hockey,” he says. “I respond to that better than a hardass. I know where he stands. I’m not wondering what Joe is thinking.” Known for his even keel on the ice, Sakic has also helped smooth out MacKinnon’s rough edges—mostly body language that could fluster teammates when MacKinnon grew frustrated. “A good calming influence on him,” Barrie says.

As with Sakic, MacKinnon keeps an ongoing dialogue in the coaches room. His breakout was fueled, in part, by a request that he made to switch from the middle of Colorado’s power play to the left-half wall, which Bednar and assistant coach Ray Bennett implemented before the season. This allowed him to attack downhill with his forehand and led to 12 goals and 20 assists (both career highs) at man-advantage. “It’s nice to have a conversation with someone, not feel like they’re being condescending,” MacKinnon says. “We can bounce ideas off each other.”

MacKinnon is ready to play his part. The way he sees things, Sakic purposefully stayed “patient” on the transaction wire this summer with an eye toward 2019. As such, MacKinnon is ready to ramp up his recruiting efforts, pitching big-ticket free agents on the year-round golf and super-chill GM. “I’ll be calling guys in the offseason,” he promises. “I don’t want to be patient for too much longer.”

Tell that to Tyson Jost. The 20-year-old Avs center grew up mimicking YouTube videos of MacKinnon’s signature move—a forehand saucer shot chipped over the goalie’s glove-side shoulder, surprising him like an off-speed pitch—outside his suburban Edmonton home. Now they spend half an hour shooting pucks together before most Colorado morning skates, and Jost writes down pregame reminders on his phone just as MacKinnon taught him. And it was at MacKinnon’s encouragement that Jost started training with O’Brien this summer, making his first pilgrimage to star-studded Vail. “I met Nathan when he was training with Sid, his idol,” O’Brien says. “It’s neat for me to meet someone like Tyson, who now looks at Nathan in that same light.”

This one made me laugh:

Their relationship reached another level last summer when MacKinnon built his house a minute away on Grand Lake in Halifax, driveway to driveway. Most days they work out at one of their gyms in the mornings with Pianosi and O’Brien—”He’s got mirrors all over his,” Crosby says, “I don’t have one mirror”—and then Crosby cooks everyone lunch. “People always think I’m saying things like, ‘What mentorship can I get from you today?’ ” MacKinnon scoffs. “I’m not just asking him s--- all the time. He’s my buddy.”

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks like Bourque is still with Soderberg and Nieto. I'm one of the people who really likes what Bourque brings but I'm not understanding that. He's a 12/13 forward and shouldn't play above that. One could argue Nieto shouldn't be there either but he's joined at Soderberg's hip at this point.

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad