GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Alt on waivers. Was expecting him to be on the opening day roster. Carrick was supposed to be waived but now he isn’t apparently. Am I crazy to think we just traded for Conor Carrick?

Pickard got put on waivers too. Man I can't help but feel like his downwards career path has been grossly undeserved ever since he got picked up by Vegas.

EDIT: Sorry ignored your main point there. Definitely something happened there with it being likely a trade. Not sure why it would happen RIGHT before he got put on waivers though. Maybe thinking he wouldn't clear or get all the way down to a team that traded for him?

Reactions: MarkT

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I liked alts play last year. Although it does feel pretty good to get rid of some lower skill guys due to our defence improving

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I liked alts play last year. Although it does feel pretty good to get rid of some lower skill guys due to our defence improving

I don't know, I feel like our defence was so injured and our depth was so incredibly weak that Kyle Quincey would have cracked our top 2. So by comparison, yes he looked decent. However I feel that if we had talent around him it would be completely obvious his skill level.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Pickard got put on waivers too. Man I can't help but feel like his downwards career path has been grossly undeserved ever since he got picked up by Vegas.

Completely agreed. Picks should be a backup somewhere, what Vegas did was replace him with a similarly talented player and then he's been nothing but stuck behind equivalent or worse depth for two seasons. Before long he'll have to go overseas to get a chance.

Reactions: MarkT

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Alt on waivers. Was expecting him to be on the opening day roster. Carrick was supposed to be waived but now he isn’t apparently. Am I crazy to think we just traded for Conor Carrick?
Why, don't we have seven defensemen and Lindholm on the roster?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks like the D is set with these moves today. I'd guess Lindholm and Timmins will be on IR until they're cleared and then they'll go down. If that's the case, that'll mean they're going with 14 F and 7 D to start.

Any predictions on which two forwards they keep from Kamenev, Toninato, O'Connor, and Dries? I guess it could be three if Ghetto goes on IR.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
With the Eagles playing in Loveland on the 5th and 6th, the Avs could go 12F and 6D if they wanted. Don't have to worry about waivers with any of those 4 guys, and they get playing time instead of sitting.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Looks like the D is set with these moves today. I'd guess Lindholm and Timmins will be on IR until they're cleared and then they'll go down. If that's the case, that'll mean they're going with 14 F and 7 D to start.

Any predictions on which two forwards they keep from Kamenev, Toninato, O'Connor, and Dries? I guess it could be three if Ghetto goes on IR.

I read somewhere that Ghetto is out 2-4 weeks so I to me I think this means Kamenev automatically made the team. None of the others can replace Ghetto skill-wise.

After that, depending on health, I would say the next guy up is Toninato and then it's kind of a toss-up. If they are set at center and they keep insisting on playing Compher at center then it probably looks better for LOC with Mack,Kerfoot/Jost, Compher and Soderberg (and Toninato as well). If they shift Compher to the wing on the 2nd line which makes a TON of more sense to me than having this belief that Colin Wilson will wake up one day and magically become a Top-6 forward, then I could see them keeping Dries as the 13th forward. I think he probably outplayed LOC in that final pre-season game.

When everyone is healthy, Kamenev is the 13th forward and Toninato is the 14th. That's the way I see it.

Reactions: Avs_19

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I read somewhere that Ghetto is out 2-4 weeks so I to me I think this means Kamenev automatically made the team. None of the others can replace Ghetto skill-wise.

After that, depending on health, I would say the next guy up is Toninato and then it's kind of a toss-up. If they are set at center and they keep insisting on playing Compher at center then it probably looks better for LOC with Mack,Kerfoot/Jost, Compher and Soderberg (and Toninato as well). If they shift Compher to the wing on the 2nd line which makes a TON of more sense to me than having this belief that Colin Wilson will wake up one day and magically become a Top-6 forward, then I could see them keeping Dries as the 13th forward. I think he probably outplayed LOC in that final pre-season game.

When everyone is healthy, Kamenev is the 13th forward and Toninato is the 14th. That's the way I see it.

I would like to believe that, but I think that Bednar is doing all he can to keep Dries and O'Connor up at the NHL level. I don't agree with it, but it would not surprise me.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

If you're looking at the short term I agree with you, but long-term, I think they want Compher to be the Soderberg replacement at some point, so he needs the reps at center so they can see if he can handle it. And in the case of Wilson, I think they need to see if they can salvage him and make him into a productive player, so it makes perfect sense to give him until Ghetto returns to prove he belongs there. If he fails, then fine, move him down to the 4th line or sit him and put Ghetto on the 2nd line.

I think the thing to remember is that as much as this season is about winning and making the playoffs, it's also about player development and evaluation given how many of our players are free agents in July.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I would like to believe that, but I think that Bednar is doing all he can to keep Dries and O'Connor up at the NHL level. I don't agree with it, but it would not surprise me.
At least we'll find out today who has made the roster. I'm with Bender, though, if Kamenev is healthy enough for full practice today and tomorrow he should be a no-brainer.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
who do you guys anticipate is starting Game 1? I think Grubauer is the better goalie and should eventually be the #1 but curious if he's starting off as the back up.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
who do you guys anticipate is starting Game 1? I think Grubauer is the better goalie and should eventually be the #1 but curious if he's starting off as the back up.

It's Varlamov's net to lose. I won't be shocked if we see Grubauer as the de facto #1 at some point during the season, but it's not now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Much as I praise Bednar for not being that guy who falls in love with talentless grinders, his love of Gee Bork is a bit befuddling. If the plan really is to pin him on Soderberg's wing that's a big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad