Speculation: 2018-19 Trade Rumors Thread

1-10?

• Total voters

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
You're making two big assumptions though. Everything I've seen indicates that Eaves plans on playing next season. Until we hear otherwise, you have to pencil him in the lineup (and budget/cap). I tend to agree with you about Kesler, but it sounds like Murray is still in a "wait and see" mode with him. You can't really just write off him and his cap# until you know for sure that he won't be playing. That's why I said Murray really isn't in any position to add a forward of much significance. Best we can hope for, IMO, assuming no forward is traded out, is one or two solid 3rd/4th line guys. Only one if Grant is re-signed.

I think it's really a mistake to try to pencil Eaves in for a top 6 role. Whether he plans to play or not...

1. He just had a life threatening illness that deteriorated him physically.
2. He's at an age where an event like that could be career ending.
3. He's still only had one year where he played at a top 6 level.

There are simply too many hurdles to assume that Eaves will be in our top 6 next year. Granted, miracles do happen. But it seems very unlikely. IF Eaves plays for us next year, I think good 4th liner with a possibility to contribute on the 3rd line is the most realistic expectation.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think it's really a mistake to try to pencil Eaves in for a top 6 role. Whether he plans to play or not...

There are simply too many hurdles to assume that Eaves will be in our top 6 next year. Granted, miracles do happen. But it seems very unlikely. IF Eaves plays for us next year, I think good 4th liner with a possibility to contribute on the 3rd line is the most realistic expectation.

Yeah, I don't know why so many people think Eves will come back from a career year, after a year off with a life threatening illness, and at 34 fit right back into a top 6 role. If he can remain healthy all year and chip in 12-15 goals as a guy who moves up and down the lineup, but mostly spends his time in the bottom 6, I'd be extremely happy.

Reactions: dracom

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
you're not crazy but I'm not sure what you mean by "kicking the tires"...he'll want $10-12 million per year for 8 years. He doesn't need to take less than that and won't. Those are expensive tires and can't happen with Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler under contract for the next 3-4 years.

A chance to play for the Cup may make him think of a but lower. If money is the only thing, NYI keeps him probably. According to Capfriendly, Islanders have the most cap space available

gurjot

Jun 22, 2018
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Defenseman Jack Johnson has agreed to a 5-yr deal w/the Penguins. Will become official Sunday when NHL free agency officially begins. For more, tune in to <a href="105.9 The X (@1059thex) | Twitter">@1059theX</a> .</p>&mdash; Mark Madden (@MarkMaddenX) <a href="">June 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure how reliable of a source this is, but guess we missed out on JJ

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Yeah, I don't know why so many people think Eves will come back from a career year, after a year off with a life threatening illness, and at 34 fit right back into a top 6 role. If he can remain healthy all year and chip in 12-15 goals as a guy who moves up and down the lineup, but mostly spends his time in the bottom 6, I'd be extremely happy.

Understand that I have no desire to pencil Eaves or Perry in a top 6 role.. I don't disagree with either one of your logic, but the reality is that, currently, there's minimal to no room for a major addition. Reportedly Murray can't find a taker for Kesler or Perry (shocker I know...). He's also currently negotiating extensions for Henrique and Silfverberg. That, along with the contracts we already have is A LOT of salary tied up into forwards. Exactly where do you see these new additions playing?

So this isn't me wanting to pencil in Eaves in a top 6 role. The projected lines I mentioned earlier were not really my preferred lines, just a visual of how our roster is very packed as it is.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Defenseman Jack Johnson has agreed to a 5-yr deal w/the Penguins. Will become official Sunday when NHL free agency officially begins. For more, tune in to <a href="105.9 The X (@1059thex) | Twitter">@1059theX</a> .</p>&mdash; Mark Madden (@MarkMaddenX) <a href="">June 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure how reliable of a source this is, but guess we missed out on JJ

IF true, we didn't miss on JJ. We lucked out.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Understand that I have no desire to pencil Eaves or Perry in a top 6 role.. I don't disagree with either one of your logic, but the reality is that, currently, there's minimal to no room for a major addition. Reportedly Murray can't find a taker for Kesler or Perry (shocker I know...). He's also currently negotiating extensions for Henrique and Silfverberg. That, along with the contracts we already have is A LOT of salary tied up into forwards. Exactly where do you see these new additions playing?

So this isn't me wanting to pencil in Eaves in a top 6 role. The projected lines I mentioned earlier were not really my preferred lines, just a visual of how our roster is very packed as it is.
I wasn't meaning to respond only to your comments. It seems it's the consensus opinion around here that because he is skating and appearing to be in reasonably good health that everything is back to normal. People seem to view him like a guy in his 20's missing part of the last season with an orthopedic injury. It just isn't the same thing at all.

For the record, I'm tired of Bob bringing in old, past their prime guys on cheap deals hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. I prefer to see the youngsters given a chance. But that's what is so frustrating about continuing with RC. It's not his style, he doesn't know how to do it, but Bob's gonna force him to try anyway. Yeah, that should work out just swell.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

He had instant chemistry with Getzlaf and fit on that line better than Perry has. Between that and the Perry turmoil, I'm guessing he gets slotted in the same spot to start and I have enough confidence he can do well there.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
How does a 31 year old declining Johnson get a 5 year FA contract. But given the Pens have had a horseshoe up their asses since the Crosby draft he'll probably have a career bounceback there.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Johnson isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. Lol at calling him another Bieksa.

5 year deal is still dumb, but he won't be worthless for them

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Johnson isn't as bad as people are making him out to be. Lol at calling him another Bieksa.

5 year deal is still dumb, but he won't be worthless for them

5 year at 3.1 or whatever isn't so bad for him... specially if hes playing on your bottom pairing(id prefer a little less term) but honestly on a team like Anaheim where fowler/Lindholm/Montour/manson will eat up the mins... a guy like JMFJ would probably do pretty well with our young guys on the bottom pairing.

Also trouba asking for 8mil lol.. jets should just move him asap.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Beretta 390

Jul 22, 2010
Thing about Monty is he's not an easy guy to partner with. Great offensive instincts for sure, but his rushes into o zone often leave his partner hanging out to dry. I think he's still trying to figure out if he fits, and what's expected of him. And defensive play...his size doesn't help that's for sure.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thing about Monty is he's not an easy guy to partner with. Great offensive instincts for sure, but his rushes into o zone often leave his partner hanging out to dry. I think he's still trying to figure out if he fits, and what's expected of him. And defensive play...his size doesn't help that's for sure.

I kinda hope someone like Jacob Larsson could make a good partner for him...
Lindholm Manson
Fowler _____(find someone like lovejoy/despres/old beauchmin)
Larsson Montour

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I'm willing to bet this can be remedied by a coach who doesn't start out so opposed to skilled players playing to their strengths. Of course, we don't have any of those coaches at the moment.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Everyone ready for Sunday around 5pm when Bob signs some 4th line winger and a dman and says something like, “I didn’t think players would sign so quickly”?!?!

Reactions: Duck Off

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Tbh I won't be surprised if we don't sign anyone on July 1

Nobody I really want anyways that would benefit this roster that much.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
We need to stay away from the "big" UFAs anyway. Mine the mid to lower tiers for value.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He had instant chemistry with Getzlaf and fit on that line better than Perry has. Between that and the Perry turmoil, I'm guessing he gets slotted in the same spot to start and I have enough confidence he can do well there.

Except the Eaves we had (the limited time we had him) has almost nothing in common with the player he's been the entire rest of his career. Prior to that year his career high in points was 29. Even without the life threatening illness that required him to take a full year off, it likelihood of him turning back into a pumpkin is HUGE.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Except the Eaves we had (the limited time we had him) has almost nothing in common with the player he's been the entire rest of his career. Prior to that year his career high in points was 29. Even without the life threatening illness that required him to take a full year off, it likelihood of him turning back into a pumpkin is HUGE.

It has a lot in common with the player he was his entire Dallas Stars tenure. He may very well not be the same after all this, especially at his age(although after reading that story, I don't feel like betting against him anytime soon), but 2017 wasn't as much of a fluke as people commonly accept it was(well, maybe the staying healthy part was). He didn't even have a crazy shooting percentage in Dallas that year(he did a bit after the trade, but not even that crazy for the small sample and production, around 20% from 15% or so), which is usually the biggest sign of a goal scorer having a lucky year. Seems like a lot of it has been opportunity.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Derek Ryan is another guy I'd look at. 15 goals from a bottom six role, really good underlying stats, shouldn't cost too much.

Possible Muffins 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1