Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
We are the reverse St Louis Blues:

JdxuwqM.png

3JOeFSr.png

Feels bad man :(
Somehow this is because of Laine and his 5 goal night.

Reactions: Neuf

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Posted this in another thread.

Just some numbers, but not claiming the reason why.

Last season 42% of the Jets wins came when we were out-shot.

This season 62% of the Jets wins have come when being out-shot.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Posted this in another thread.

Just some numbers, but not claiming the reason why.

Last season 42% of the Jets wins came when we were out-shot.

This season 62% of the Jets wins have come when being out-shot.

Yes, that is part of a function of:
1) The team outshoots less often
2) Goaltending
3) Special teams

The goal differential at 5v5 in negative Corsi games: -8 (54% GF%)
The goal differential at 5v5 in plus Corsi games: +11 (47% GF%)

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
is there a stat/resource that looks at a player's quality of passing in terms of chances create or anything like that?
Closest at the moment (in terms of public work) is courtesy of Corey Sznajder and visualized by CJ Turtoro: Tableau Public

You can support Corey yourself through his Patreon and get access directly to the data yourself. Unfortunately there's really not much for the Jets at the moment - only about 18 games tracked, the latest game being 12/18/2018. Quick snapshot for example: in terms of shot contributions (i.e. shots taken and passes that lead to shots), your top 3 is Ehlers, Laine, and Lowry, followed by Roslovic, Scheifele, and Little (with not much difference between the middle 5).

Upcoming tracking data should start to capture this, but who knows how much of it will be released to the public. At the very least, it will make current data incredibly more accurate than what we have now. At least, that's the hope.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Closest at the moment (in terms of public work) is courtesy of Corey Sznajder and visualized by CJ Turtoro: Tableau Public

You can support Corey yourself through his Patreon and get access directly to the data yourself. Unfortunately there's really not much for the Jets at the moment - only about 18 games tracked, the latest game being 12/18/2018. Quick snapshot for example: in terms of shot contributions (i.e. shots taken and passes that lead to shots), your top 3 is Ehlers, Laine, and Lowry, followed by Roslovic, Scheifele, and Little (with not much difference between the middle 5).

Upcoming tracking data should start to capture this, but who knows how much of it will be released to the public. At the very least, it will make current data incredibly more accurate than what we have now. At least, that's the hope.
yea ive seen that before, trying to find something with more relevant data

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice mentioned that Beaulieau's play led to good secondary passes to move the puck out of the zone. Sounded like something they might track. If you give your D partner a bad pass, or with poor timing, it can make it harder for them to move the puck cleanly. I think that's what he was getting at. Stuart might have been the very worst at that. Myers can have a real problem with that too because he hesitated. Chiarot doesn't hesitate but makes bad choices. Niku looks like a dream to play with, as is Morrissey.

Reactions: LaScheifers

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
traditional +/- vs 5v5 +/-

Myers goes from a +9 to -7 (according to NSS)/-9 (according to OffSideReview.) I think he's the biggest variation on the team

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Since Jan 1st, we have the 2nd worst xGoal differential in the league according to Evolving Hockey's xGoal model:

ogBE5tP.png

To put it into context, the following teams have been closest to posting -0.53 Expected Goals per game over the course of a season.

TeamSeasonxGDiff per gameDraft Position
Islanders08-09-0.511st Overall
Kings07-08-0.512nd Overall
Avalanche15-16-0.5210th Overall
Oilers13-14-0.553rd Overall
Sabres12-13-0.558th Overall
Thrashers07-08-0.553rd Overall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For all intents and purposes, in the 2019 Calendar year, we have been a lottery team posting stats similar to some very bad hockey teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I
Since Jan 1st, we have the 2nd worst xGoal differential in the league according to Evolving Hockey's xGoal model:

tKKtNOR.png

To put it into context, the following teams have been closest to posting -0.53 Expected Goals per game over the course of a season.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For all intents and purposes, in the 2019 Calendar year, we have been a lottery team posting stats similar to some very bad hockey teams.
I see the best team in the league is 17?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I

I see the best team in the league is 17?

That was not including today's game for Tampa, today's game help them push up 2 spots to around 14th. Tampa has been fairly average and 5 on 5 since Jan 1st compared to their first 3 months of the season. They have benefited from a hot PP and league best save % and league best PDO since Jan 1.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I am more of a points guy...Jets aren't doing too bad in that department.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

ogBE5tP.png

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yes but over the larger sample of a full season, no where near the likes of those hockey teams. We have defintely seen the impact of losing some key possession drivers like Ehlers, Buff and Morrissey since Jan 1.

I'm a bit curious about the xGFdiff of -.28/60 versus the actual of +.09/60. Off the top of my head our PDO has been fairly neutral and if above 100, more so due to sv%.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Good teams do overperform relative to their goal expectations. That is called talent.

The fact that we are second last according to the best predictor of future team success should be ringing all the alarm bells imaginable. This team is playing like shit and will get bounced out of the playoffs the second Hellebuyck or Brossoit have bad games. As it is, the skaters are not able to bail out their goaltenders at all.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Ehlers Nylander.PNG

Holy cow. Ehlers look great in those statistics
Compared to W. Nylander. And Nylander's stats are pretty awesome!

Last edited:

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
It just seems all year, we've had excuses for their playing bad... Be it

- We played 4 in 6
- We are saving it for the playoffs
- We are missing key pieces
- We blame the line setup
- We blame the coach
- etc.

All I know is I don't have ANY confidence in this team doing anything this year. They need to get their shit together (All of them) and now to change that opinion.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It just seems all year, we've had excuses for their playing bad... Be it

- We played 4 in 6
- We are saving it for the playoffs
- We are missing key pieces
- We blame the line setup
- We blame the coach
- etc.

All I know is I don't have ANY confidence in this team doing anything this year. They need to get their **** together (All of them) and now to change that opinion.

I think there are a few drivers:

1) Players (Blake) have admitted to conserving themselves to make it through the grind through to June. (the concern is they can't rediscover the 60-minute form of last year's home stretch)

2) Injuries to Buff, Ehlers and Morrissey have hampered their play over the past two months.

3) Missing the Toby-Buff pairing has really hampered our d-zone play from the second pairing perspective.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

1) Players (Blake) have admitted to conserving themselves to make it through the grind through to June. (the concern is they can't rediscover the 60-minute form of last year's home stretch)

2) Injuries to Buff, Ehlers and Morrissey have hampered their play over the past two months.

3) Missing the Toby-Buff pairing has really hampered our d-zone play from the second pairing perspective.

Just hope they can come together at some time... Hard to feel confident though. But you make good points.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah, not sure why the "points" crowd are in the Advanced Stats thread except to troll, but the Jets are 6-7-2 in their last 15. That pace gets you into the lottery over a full season.
Yup. Been saying most of the season we were getting points despite the level of play. Lots going wrong this season. Injuries. Wicked slumps. Soft play. Bad penalties. Terrible D one coverage. Spotty special teams.

This team more resembles 2 or 3 seasons ago. Is it a blip? Just a really young team learning how to bring their A game consistently? I hope so. This HOPE that they turn it on is just that, HOPE. Rarely happens. They have not played the right way very often this season.

Some of the charts above are depressing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I get that, but Jets are currently 9th overall only 3pts up a pack with a very tough schedule ahead. The trend is not good and the numbers seem to concur.
The numbers should get better once our two defenseman are back and lurch is back.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I'm convinced they are making a concerted effort to save something, I see it in Wheeler's, Scheifele's and Lowry's game consistently, among others. Last season's balls to the wall style of play every game caught up with them in the WCF (as well as MAF).

I've seen them raise their level of play a number of times this year, as recently as last Friday. Helle seems to be raising his game significantly as well.

I have hope, the numbers suggest I probably shouldn't, but I still believe this team will show what it's made of when it counts most..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00