2018-19 stats and underlying metrics thread

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What the hell is the matter with Carolina. Every year they are in this spot. They even have a bonafide elite center now with Aho and some decent scoring talent on the wings. It really boggles the mind that they can't make the playoffs. Consistently good shot metrics.

It's pretty simple. Lack of talent.

1) Their centers for the past 20+ games are: Aho, Lucas Wallmark, Jordan Martinook, Greg McKegg/Clark Bishop (Staal's been out with a concussion and only played 29 games). So basically a 1C in his first year at C and three 4Cs/AHL fodder.
2) Their goalies are: Petr Mrazek (.894 SV%), Scott Darling (.884 SV%) and Waiver Wire Pick-up Curtis McElhinney (.914 SV% but has been hurt twice as his body breaks down with too many games).
3) Their wingers are still below average compared to the rest of the league.
  • Aho is 15th in the NHL in scoring which is good.
  • Teravainen is 53rd in the NHL which means most teams have at least 2 scorers better than him.
  • Williams is 108th in the NHL which means most teams have at least 3 scorers better than him and some have 4.
Adding Nino helps for sure.
4) They have the lowest payroll in the NHL.

Solid defense, but way undermanned upfront and not great in goal.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Connor has brought down both Little and Scheifele lines, whereas Ehlers elevates them. Copp has been a net positive despite being shackled to Lemieux.

I'm going to keep pushing for trying Copp with Laine until Maurice relents and gives it a try.

I think I'd rather see:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels, very good first line

Connor - Little - Roslovic, let's see if Connor and Roslovic have some chemistry. How come they've never played together in the NHL (I think maybe a short stint on 4th line last year?)

Perreault - Copp - Laine, this line would be dynamite IMO. Ehlers I don't think has ever been a great fit for Laine, and Perreault has been.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think I'd rather see:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheels, very good first line

Connor - Little - Roslovic, let's see if Connor and Roslovic have some chemistry. How come they've never played together in the NHL (I think maybe a short stint on 4th line last year?)

Perreault - Copp - Laine, this line would be dynamite IMO. Ehlers I don't think has ever been a great fit for Laine, and Perreault has been.
I like this, too.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Here's some more context on 5v5 play so far this year. P/60 ranking among league forwards (>400 minutes). Added a few others in for colour. Copp has really moved up since slotting in between Lemieux and Appleton. Roughly, 1-90 are 1st liners; 91-180 are 2nd liners; 180-270 are 3rd liners.

13. Matt Duchene (2.93)
66. Mark Stone (2.17)
69. Blake Wheeler (2.16)
78. Mark Scheifele (2.10)
98. Brian Little (2.01)

100. Sean Couturier (2.00)
115. Andrew Copp (1.90)
116. Nikolaj Ehlers (1.90)
158. Nikolaj Tanev (1.66)

160. Braden Schenn (1.65)
167. Patrik Laine (1.62)
171. Kyle Connor (1.62)
197. Mathieu Perreault (1.48)
217. Jack Roslovic (1.39)
278. Adam Lowry (1.10)

Lost Appleton (2.42 in 198mins) and Lemieux (2.14 in 253mins) due to filters.
What the f*** is a Nikolaj Tanev?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What the hell is the matter with Carolina. Every year they are in this spot. They even have a bonafide elite center now with Aho and some decent scoring talent on the wings. It really boggles the mind that they can't make the playoffs. Consistently good shot metrics.

Sometimes goaltending (This is a big one: their best EV Sv% season lately is 0.912 in 2014-15, to compare in the Pavelec era Jets' worst was 0.914. Worst EV Sv% for 2014-present).
Sometimes sh% (2nd worst 2014-present).
Sometimes special teams.
Sometimes penalties.

Usually a combo of 1-3 of those things.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sometimes goaltending (This is a big one: their best EV Sv% season lately is 0.912 in 2014-15, to compare in the Pavelec era Jets' worst was 0.914. Worst EV Sv% for 2014-present).
Sometimes special teams.
Sometimes penalties.

True, but all of that points to the main issue. Lack of talent. When 3 of your 4 centers are 4th line / AHLers, that's not a talented team. When 37 year old Justin Williams is your 3rd leading scorer with just 30 points, that's not a talented team. Right now, they get by on speed and effort so they are rarely out of a game, but they don't have the talent to get over the hump.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting perspective...

upload_2019-2-5_9-14-33.png

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
True, but all of that points to the main issue. Lack of talent. When 3 of your 4 centers are 4th line / AHLers, that's not a talented team. When 37 year old Justin Williams is your 3rd leading scorer with just 30 points, that's not a talented team. Right now, they get by on speed and effort so they are rarely out of a game, but they don't have the talent to get over the hump.
There was a really good discussion on the subject on the main boards once. Seemed like a lot of people agreed with the notion of scoring talent being undervalued in xG.

With the outright dominance in terms of shot and quality shares, you should be near the top of the league. Hoping you can find a Nino or two to get some talent to help the top tier system. That, and a goalie.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
If a player is said to be the best on the team at tipping shots as is said about Lemieux, what effect does this have on his corsi and expected goals? Does a tipped puck count as a shot attempt? Do tipped goals increase his shooting percentage?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If a player is said to be the best on the team at tipping shots as is said about Lemieux, what effect does this have on his corsi and expected goals? Does a tipped puck count as a shot attempt? Do tipped goals increase his shooting percentage?

I think they count as "shots", so yes.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
If a shot hits the shaft of his stick and doesn't hit the net is someone keeping track of every deflection or are they just looking at deflections that go in the net? So often a deflection is only determined to have occurred after a goal is scored. So, if no goal was scored I would assume that deflection would never to discovered and counted as a shot attempt?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
A deflection is a shot. The shot is tracked as the deflecter was the shooter. Their location is the shot (so the xGoals take that into account).
The people that get screwed over by those that deflect shots with the NHL's current tracking is only the person who took the original shot, unless there is a goal scored.
More in depth tracking though would track it as a shot pass, so you account for both.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thought I'd leave this here...

Bottom line - there is a positive correlation in CF% and xGF% between regular season and playoffs in the same year by a team, but it's not that strong and only explains less than 14% of variance.

upload_2019-2-11_7-49-9.png

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sometimes special teams.
Sometimes penalties.

Cam Ward for the win!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
DzIqyNZU0AYLfba.jpg:large

For clarity: the end of the line with the abbreviation represents their last 25 games, whereas the 'tail' end represents the performance in their first 25.

Don't quite think all those people who have mentioned about this trend in GDTs and PGTs have been pulling shit out of their ass. We are trending down. Heck, even the first 25 weren't all that magical.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Willing to bet that downward trend coincides with Ehlers injury.. The first line was humming along at a pretty good pace with him there but Scheif can't carry Connor and Wheeler.

Should still be looking to add another forward who's good at driving the puck to the offensive zone but I think just getting Ehlers back in the lineup (and Buff I guess really) will do a lot for the 5 on 5 play.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
DzIqyNZU0AYLfba.jpg:large

For clarity: the end of the line with the abbreviation represents their last 25 games, whereas the 'tail' end represents the performance in their first 25.

Don't quite think all those people who have mentioned about this trend in GDTs and PGTs have been pulling **** out of their ass. We are trending down. Heck, even the first 25 weren't all that magical.

A few things

Almost everyone is aware we are not doing well 5v5 this year "yet"

The graph shows there can be movement meaning this is not the final story (could get better could get worse)

TB Nash Winn Pitt all seem to be struggling over this time horizon vs before

Colorado is nailing it while losing almost all their last 25 games :laugh:

If this had any connection to 28 games from now then I would want to avoid St Louis in the first round of the playoffs.

Chicago went from the worst to really the worst and are 7-2-1 in their last 10?

We use to be better at this last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad