Speculation: 2018-19 roster

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Haven't seen any season previews that would suggest the VGK would do anything else than maybe getting into the playoffs.

All of the 2017-2018 second line just sucked in plusminus, Imo it's easy to see why they didn't want to keep it. Fixing the second line alone would be a big deal for us, even if the rest of the lines would regress. Feeling positive here.
Always got to be a little cautious when everyone’s coming off great seasons.

I expect a little regression, but only because it’s tough to top what happened last season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So assuming that Karlsson and Theodore get new deals and stay with Vegas, they have 15 forwards, 8 d-men, and their two goalies. I assume Hunt is waived, probably clears, and is assigned to Chicago until needed but who up front is moved? The only player that is exempt from waivers right now is Tuch but he's obviously not going anywhere. What move is on the horizon to clear that roster spot?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Lindberg really has no spot on the team anymore. I don't see him starting the season as a Knight barring injuries. The last roster spot up front probably comes down to a training camp competition between Carr and Carpenter.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Lindberg really has no spot on the team anymore. I don't see him starting the season as a Knight barring injuries. The last roster spot up front probably comes down to a training camp competition between Carr and Carpenter.

I still like Lindberg... just wish he would find 30% more speed and strength. He was bit late the whole season and didn't have the grit to fight for the puck; He is still a humble guy and has an eye for the game. I hope he will get a second chance and makes the best of it.

I think Carpy has a very high chance of getting in the starting lineup since Turk really likes him. He is my current favorite player by a mile, because of his smart team first plays considering his "low value" role. IMO great 2-way game (strong fore-/backcheck) and very nice supporting plays. Also has the hands for offensive plays if his role allows it. Based on his stats alone, I would expect they will also try Carr in asap. For the spot he was in, he did really well in the Habs.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I still like Lindberg... just wish he would find 30% more speed and strength. He was bit late the whole season and didn't have the grit to fight for the puck; He is still a humble guy and has an eye for the game. I hope he will get a second chance and makes the best of it.

I think Carpy has a very high chance of getting in the starting lineup since Turk really likes him. He is my current favorite player by a mile, because of his smart team first plays considering his "low value" role. IMO great 2-way game (strong fore-/backcheck) and very nice supporting plays. Also has the hands for offensive plays if his role allows it. Based on his stats alone, I would expect they will also try Carr in asap. For the spot he was in, he did really well in the Habs.

There isn't room on the roster for all 3 of those guys though. If there aren't injuries in camp 2 of the 3 are going to be waived/traded.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
There isn't room on the roster for all 3 of those guys though. If there aren't injuries in camp 2 of the 3 are going to be waived/traded.

I expect Carpy to get the starting spot, just because of the past season performance.

There could be lot of lineup changes after the first losses, we can afford it and the coach should have the balls to switch out anyone who doesn't perform.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I expect Carpy to get the starting spot, just because of the past season performance.

There could be lot of lineup changes after the first losses, we can afford it and the coach should have the balls to switch out anyone who doesn't perform.

I don't think you understand that teams can only carry 23 players on the roster. Mcphee has said he wants to carry 8 d-men so that leaves room for 13 forwards. Karlsson/Marche/Smith/Haula/Tatar/Stastny/Tuch/Bellemare/Nosek/Reaves/Eakin/Carrier is 12. So it looks to me like an open competition for the 3RW between Capenter/Lindberg/Carr/Mckenzie. I'd bank on Carr personally. Ideally we could find a taker for Eakin and have a Carr-Haula-Carpenter 3rd line.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Now they'll need to clear a lot of space if they plan to add Erik Karlsson & Bobby Ryan. Seems like any deal for EK involves taking on Ryan's contract, so Eakin would certainly have to go, as would Reaves. Makes that contract even sillier in hindsight. :eyeroll:

Might also package Clarkson's IR hit going the other way.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I don't think you understand that teams can only carry 23 players on the roster. Mcphee has said he wants to carry 8 d-men so that leaves room for 13 forwards. Karlsson/Marche/Smith/Haula/Tatar/Stastny/Tuch/Bellemare/Nosek/Reaves/Eakin/Carrier is 12. So it looks to me like an open competition for the 3RW between Capenter/Lindberg/Carr/Mckenzie. I'd bank on Carr personally. Ideally we could find a taker for Eakin and have a Carr-Haula-Carpenter 3rd line.

Not going to lie, Haula has some huge holes in his game. I've been living in the impression that he had a good 2-way game, but last season proved otherwise.
On the other side, he has laser beam for a shot, team high 12 powerplay goals were not a coincidence.

It won't be easy to find him a spot I would feel comfortable.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Not going to lie, Haula has some huge holes in his game. I've been living in the impression that he had a good 2-way game, but last season proved otherwise.
On the other side, he has laser beam for a shot, team high 12 powerplay goals were not a coincidence.

It won't be easy to find him a spot I would feel comfortable.

He was pretty invisible in the playoffs. Other than that OT goal in the Kings series, he made little to no impact in any of the remaining series. I think it's a size/strength issue, especially in the playoffs, where he is outmuscled during one on one battles. I'd really like him on the 3rd line where he would benefit from inferior competition. His speed would really shine in that situation.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He was pretty invisible in the playoffs. Other than that OT goal in the Kings series, he made little to no impact in any of the remaining series. I think it's a size/strength issue, especially in the playoffs, where he is outmuscled during one on one battles. I'd really like him on the 3rd line where he would benefit from inferior competition. His speed would really shine in that situation.

He is no Karlsson, but he does have a clean takeaway giveaway record. He does have issues defending the D-zone, I don't agree with it having anything to do with size/strength, since when he does go for the puck, he wins his 1v1's. The issue for me is the lack of stamina and especially the passive D-plays in the middle.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Now they'll need to clear a lot of space if they plan to add Erik Karlsson & Bobby Ryan. Seems like any deal for EK involves taking on Ryan's contract, so Eakin would certainly have to go, as would Reaves. Makes that contract even sillier in hindsight. :eyeroll:

I think the window for forcing the Ryan contract on anyone has passed. Now the issue is can anyone get an extension out of EK. If not every team is just going to sit back and see what it takes to get him as a potential rental, but with early negotiation rights. I think Sens see that the return for a deal now is only slightly better than a deal at the deadline unless somehow he agrees to an extension. The teams chasing don't need him that badly in October to where they will take on Ryan or give up a much better package.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I think the window for forcing the Ryan contract on anyone has passed. Now the issue is can anyone get an extension out of EK. If not every team is just going to sit back and see what it takes to get him as a potential rental, but with early negotiation rights. I think Sens see that the return for a deal now is only slightly better than a deal at the deadline unless somehow he agrees to an extension. The teams chasing don't need him that badly in October to where they will take on Ryan or give up a much better package.

Honestly, I'd rather take on Ryan's contract than give up a bunch of prospects/roster players. You can always buy him out in a year. Of all the teams chasing EK, the Knights have the biggest need for him. It's wise to entice Ottawa to unload Ryan's money, because Melnyk is a giant cheap skate. If it means we can keep one of Theodore, Suzuki, or Tuch, it's worth it in the long run.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Honestly, I'd rather take on Ryan's contract than give up a bunch of prospects/roster players. You can always buy him out in a year. Of all the teams chasing EK, the Knights have the biggest need for him. It's wise to entice Ottawa to unload Ryan's money, because Melnyk is a giant cheap skate. If it means we can keep one of Theodore, Suzuki, or Tuch, it's worth it in the long run.

VGK can't afford it if what I'm seeing is correct. They signed a lot of lower level players that is eating at the cap space. Cap Friendly says we have $25 mil in 2019-2020. Bobby Ryan and EK65 is going to be $19M which gives us $6M left. Schmidt, Wild Bill, Nosek, Subban, PEB, and Tuch are the primary players that will require new contracts. There's no way $6M covers all of those guys. There's a lot of scrubs with expiring contracts that VGK will surely say goodbye to, but I can't see it working. This is why I'm not happy with GMGM throwing money around on bottom 6 and bottom pairing guys. Merrill, Reaves, and Holden make around $6M total that surely ensure more flexibility with the roster.

2020 is the year where several highly paid bad contracts expire. I know I go on and on about GMGM overspending which will hurt in 2019, but from what I'm looking at, there's reason to worry and I doubt that VGK could take on Bobby Ryan's contract. It would kill too much cap space. The team would need that money to extend core players.

If I'm looking at Cap Friendly's site wrong, please let me know and explain it to me.

Reactions: Aurinko

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
VGK can't afford it if what I'm seeing is correct. They signed a lot of lower level players that is eating at the cap space. Cap Friendly says we have $25 mil in 2019-2020. Bobby Ryan and EK65 is going to be $19M which gives us $6M left. Schmidt, Wild Bill, Nosek, Subban, PEB, and Tuch are the primary players that will require new contracts. There's no way $6M covers all of those guys. There's a lot of scrubs with expiring contracts that VGK will surely say goodbye to, but I can't see it working. This is why I'm not happy with GMGM throwing money around on bottom 6 and bottom pairing guys. Merrill, Reaves, and Holden make around $6M total that surely ensure more flexibility with the roster.

2020 is the year where several highly paid bad contracts expire. I know I go on and on about GMGM overspending which will hurt in 2019, but from what I'm looking at, there's reason to worry and I doubt that VGK could take on Bobby Ryan's contract. It would kill too much cap space. The team would need that money to extend core players.

If I'm looking at Cap Friendly's site wrong, please let me know and explain it to me.

Any trade with Ottawa for Ryan would include Clarkson going to Ottawa which would move the cap dollars but little actually salary due to insurance. That frees up another $5M making the total $11M to cover those guys and that is assuming there is no increase in the cap next year. I could also see a guy like Eakin being traded at some point especially if Glass or Suzuki are ready next year.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

I'm 100% hoping they are not doing any big deals like this before the start of the season... but if we end up getting EK, it would be very exciting. Risky but exciting.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
With McPhee very open to finding a talented winger, does that have us targeting a player other than Erik Karlsson? Thinking of the Max Pacioretty variety. (especially with the cheap price on Skinner)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Do teams HAVE to carry 23?

I know that's the upper limit but if we wanted to start day one with only 21 (say if we needed to in order to have Clarkson's money on the books and stay under the cap) then carry 23 on day two once we LTIR Clarkson and get his money off.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Agreed. I think Lindberg gets dealt for a draft pick before training camp starts, and Carr probably gets sent down to get the roster to 23.

Agree with the bolded. In fact, I'm starting to get over the idea of trading for EK65. Just keep all of our prospects and let them continue developing, and see if another trade (for a different d-man) presents itself later in the season. I wonder if it would be worth it to trade for Justin Faulk instead?

Do teams HAVE to carry 23?

I know that's the upper limit but if we wanted to start day one with only 21 (say if we needed to in order to have Clarkson's money on the books and stay under the cap) then carry 23 on day two once we LTIR Clarkson and get his money off.

Yes, 23 is the upper limit. But if we start the season with 21, then we're putting several guys we want to keep on waivers, which isn't going to happen.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Agreed. I think Lindberg gets dealt for a draft pick before training camp starts, and Carr probably gets sent down to get the roster to 23.

Is Lindberg even worth a draft pick to another team? I'm thinking they might just eat his last year's salary and send him to Chicago. He'll be motivated to play well there since he's about to be UFA and is still young enough to get someone to take a shot on him if he produces there. Honestly can't imagine he's going to get claimed on waivers with $1.7m cap hit for at best a 4th liner.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Is Lindberg even worth a draft pick to another team? I'm thinking they might just eat his last year's salary and send him to Chicago. He'll be motivated to play well there since he's about to be UFA and is still young enough to get someone to take a shot on him if he produces there. Honestly can't imagine he's going to get claimed on waivers with $1.7m cap hit for at best a 4th liner.

I can see him getting claimed by a team that wants to see if he can return to the form he showed with the Rangers. The $1.7M cap hit isn't THAT big, and the fact that his contract is expiring could make him more enticing. In fact, I could even see the Rangers claiming him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I can see him getting claimed by a team that wants to see if he can return to the form he showed with the Rangers. The $1.7M cap hit isn't THAT big, and the fact that his contract is expiring could make him more enticing. In fact, I could even see the Rangers claiming him.

I say they try it then, its not an asset to protect. If we lost him we'd still have Carr/Hyka/Pirri waiting in the wings, he's truly excess in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad