Speculation: 2018-19 roster

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I hope Tatar is traded so that Perron and Neal can be brought back. This team will likely take a step back without one or both of them. Even if both aren't back, just trade him. Tatar is just a bad fit. I used to think he was fast, but he didn't look as fast as I had thought and his hands are still garbage. GMGM got desperate after not acquiring EK65 with 15 minutes left before the deadline was up and made a bad trade.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Tatar got dropped into an already overcrowded roster of a team that had great chemistry. As disappointed as I've been with his performance, I'd love to see what he can do next year after he gets a full training camp and finds the right linemates.

In addition to Wild Bill, we also need new contracts for Miller, Theo, Nosek and Carrier. I'd give Bill a 2-year deal to take him to UFA - if he impresses again next season, then extend him next summer. Given our lack of depth at RHD, especially with Engelland getting older, I'd see if Miller would sign for 4 years (to match the McNabb deal). Get Theo to take a 2-year bridge deal.

I would entertain the idea of re-signing Perron if he can do a team-friendly deal, but I don't see them bringing back Neal or Sbisa unless they surprise us all by taking shorter-term deals at a friendly cap hit.

Keep Glass/Suzuki in Junior, and put Brannstrom/Hague in the AHL.

Not really sure there's going to be room to sign any UFA's outside of the system.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

So, VGK won't let $$ be the reason a guy doesn't get {re-}signed.

That's not what he said though. He said they would only resign it as if their terms and prices are appopriate.a the team is a business and the players are businessmen.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think term is what will keep a few guys from returning. Neal and Perron really have this last contract to cash big on and GMGM might not want to extend both for anything more than 3 to 4 years.

I'd go up to 6 years on Neal provided there's no NMC in the last 2 years. A term of 4 years would be perfect though, when the ELCs of Glass and co are done.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Give Wild Bill 50 something million over 8 years. Dude needs to learn to put more pucks on the net but I think he's a legit good one. Somewhere around 6.5-7 million a year. He won't say no to that.

Don't want to re-sign Perron anymore. More and more it looks like we got a career year out of him. Thank him for his service and move on.

Push really hard to sign Neal to a good deal. Give him six years if we have flexibility to move him in the final two.

Tatar probably gets one more season with us because we won't have a problem with the cap but he should be gone after that unless he gets around 50 points with us.

Go in hard for EK! All those point shots we took that got blocked? This man would get many of those through. That trap that is giving us fits? This man gets incisive passes to break that. Our top 4 would be done and good for years to come.

Look into Tavares. Probably won't happen but give it a go, you have to with players of that caliber. We could actually probably re-sign everybody except Perron and still have enough money to afford both Tavares and EK. Not saying we will but the option is there. We would have to do something minor after next season, like get rid of Tatar or Eakin's contract but that is imminently doable.

Top two centers Tavares and Wild Bill to go along with Marchessault, Smith and Neal and good depth. Fleury in net and a top 4 of EK, Schmidt, Theodore and McNabb? That is a contending team. May be a pipe dream but money and assets won't be in our way of getting it done.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just as long as he passes a foot physical. That's my biggest worry. He looked awful this year but maybe it was a trade me melnick response to the season

He did put up only nine less points this year in six less games played, compared to last year. But he may have been off in other aspects of his game.

I think it's been a tough year for him on a lot of fronts, both personally and professionally, but I have no doubt he can still be the dominant player he once was.

Reactions: McCoy

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't see any highlights of Hague, Glass, Suzuki, and Brannstrom but wonder how far off they are from making the roster. Just from past history, I would think that Glass and Suzuki is at least one more year out and Hague and Brannstrom are most likely at least 2 years out.

A trade for ek65 will be interesting because our farm would take a step back, but would also give the team a nice window of contention.

I've read that the wild might be open to trading brodin or dumba. I'd be open to those guys too. They would still cost a lot in money and assets, but not break the bank that ek65 or jt4 would and we might be able to hold on to one more asset.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I didn't see any highlights of Hague, Glass, Suzuki, and Brannstrom but wonder how far off they are from making the roster. Just from past history, I would think that Glass and Suzuki is at least one more year out and Hague and Brannstrom are most likely at least 2 years out.

A trade for ek65 will be interesting because our farm would take a step back, but would also give the team a nice window of contention.

I've read that the wild might be open to trading brodin or dumba. I'd be open to those guys too. They would still cost a lot in money and assets, but not break the bank that ek65 or jt4 would and we might be able to hold on to one more asset.

Brannstrom and Glass are the closest. I also wouldn't move them. Both could play next year in 3rd line roles. Hague is still a huge wildcard IMO. Can't pinpoint it, but I don't feel as optimistic about Suzuki.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Dumba. He's too much of a gambler for my liking without enough results.

Even if we win 3 straight here I'd be all over in order 1. EK 2. Tavares 3. Carlson. I'd steer clear of the other big names in free agency. I think we have a pretty clear need for a top pair d-man as well as a middle 6 center that can win draws.

In a perfect world you pull off a Theo+Suzuki+Eakin for EK+Bobby trade and look at cheap options in UFA like Derek Ryan and Val Filppula that can win draws and chip in offensively.

Let all the UFA's walk except Reaves (keep him because if you must have an enforcer he's a lot better than the alternatives).

Hope Glass/Brannstrom can earn a spot and this would be an ideal lineup.

Marche-Bill-Smith
Tuch-Glass/Haula-Bobby Ryan
Tatar-Derek Ryan- Haula/____
Nosek-Bellemare-Carpy/Reaves

Mcnabb-EK
Schmidt-Miller
Brannstrom/Merril-Engelland

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Brannstrom and Glass are the closest. I also wouldn't move them. Both could play next year in 3rd line roles. Hague is still a huge wildcard IMO. Can't pinpoint it, but I don't feel as optimistic about Suzuki.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Dumba. He's too much of a gambler for my liking without enough results.

Even if we win 3 straight here I'd be all over in order 1. EK 2. Tavares 3. Carlson. I'd steer clear of the other big names in free agency. I think we have a pretty clear need for a top pair d-man as well as a middle 6 center that can win draws.

In a perfect world you pull off a Theo+Suzuki+Eakin for EK+Bobby trade and look at cheap options in UFA like Derek Ryan and Val Filppula that can win draws and chip in offensively.

Let all the UFA's walk except Reaves (keep him because if you must have an enforcer he's a lot better than the alternatives).

Hope Glass/Brannstrom can earn a spot and this would be an ideal lineup.

Marche-Bill-Smith
Tuch-Glass/Haula-Bobby Ryan
Tatar-Derek Ryan- Haula/____
Nosek-Bellemare-Carpy/Reaves

Mcnabb-EK
Schmidt-Miller
Brannstrom/Merril-Engelland

If they did this, they could probably still afford to take a run at Tavares instead of signing a 3C Derek Ryan type, cap wise, if they get rid of Bobby Ryan or Tatar after next season.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If they did this, they could probably still afford to take a run at Tavares instead of signing a 3C Derek Ryan type, cap wise, if they get rid of Bobby Ryan or Tatar after next season.

I must watch some Bobby Ryan lowlights. I haven't seen much of him, but heard he's gotten to be a really bad player. I remember when he was good for the ducks, but that was many years ago. Could he be a decent 4th line scoring threat?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I must watch some Bobby Ryan lowlights. I haven't seen much of him, but heard he's gotten to be a really bad player. I remember when he was good for the ducks, but that was many years ago. Could he be a decent 4th line scoring threat?

He was an effective if not snakebitten player just a year ago. I wouldn't have thought he'd be any worse than our current 3rd line LW options, but a lot of Sens posters say otherwise.

Didn't Brendan Gallagher mangle both hands and come back to score 30 this year though?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
He was an effective if not snakebitten player just a year ago. I wouldn't have thought he'd be any worse than our current 3rd line LW options, but a lot of Sens posters say otherwise.

I might be in the minority, but I believe part of Ryan's struggles were that he doesn't fit well in Guy Boucher's defensive trapping system and I think he would be excellent with the Knights. I know it seems like he's a "throw-in" in the Karlsson trade, but he could be very effective and a great replacement for Perron going forward.

I agree about Brannstrom/Glass being the closest, but I disagree about them both being on the Knights next year. I'd rather let their ELC's slide another year, and let them play for their respective countries in the WJC. Brannstrom could also still use the extra time getting acclimated to the smaller NA ice surface. I understand your skepticism about Suzuki, but I believe he'll be better suited to play Wing in the NHL rather than center.

Glass/Suzuki were cut from Canada's WJC team last year, and with Vancouver hosting the tournament this year, I think they're going to stack their roster with lots of 2018 draft picks - I'd imagine that both guys would be key members of the WJC team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Lurking your thread....I'll chime in on Ryan.

Ryan's struggles mostly relate to health. If VGK acquire him in a Karlsson deal, the healthiest way to look at Ryan is with no expectations. That he's the cost associated with getting Erik Karlsson, and if he manages to stay healthy/get hot at the right time like he did for Ottawa during the 2017 playoffs, it's just a bonus.

Here are the two major issues with Ryan.
-Inability to remain healthy: His hand/finger are constantly getting injured. So while his points per game is still respectable, at 7.25M judging by the last two seasons he only realistically will give a team 30 points per season despite having a much higher P/PG because he is missing 20+ games per season.

-Conditioning: Ryan has had conditioning issues his entire time as a Senator. Maybe conditioning is the wrong or unfair word, but he seems to completely fall off a cliff the second half of the season. His brilliant run during the Sens 2017 post season was partially possible because Ryan benefited from being shut down at the right time due to his finger, being able to work on his skating and conditioning, and then returning at the right time to take advantage of that.

If you get Ryan, he's most likely not going to be a solution in your top 6 because of his injuries. In your shoes, I'd still worship the guy because his contract is probably a big reason why the Golden Knights might end up getting Karlsson at what (if the TDL rumours are to go on) will be a steal for them.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lurking your thread....I'll chime in on Ryan.

Ryan's struggles mostly relate to health. If VGK acquire him in a Karlsson deal, the healthiest way to look at Ryan is with no expectations. That he's the cost associated with getting Erik Karlsson, and if he manages to stay healthy/get hot at the right time like he did for Ottawa during the 2017 playoffs, it's just a bonus.

Here are the two major issues with Ryan.
-Inability to remain healthy: His hand/finger are constantly getting injured. So while his points per game is still respectable, at 7.25M judging by the last two seasons he only realistically will give a team 30 points per season despite having a much higher P/PG because he is missing 20+ games per season.

-Conditioning: Ryan has had conditioning issues his entire time as a Senator. Maybe conditioning is the wrong or unfair word, but he seems to completely fall off a cliff the second half of the season. His brilliant run during the Sens 2017 post season was partially possible because Ryan benefited from being shut down at the right time due to his finger, being able to work on his skating and conditioning, and then returning at the right time to take advantage of that.

If you get Ryan, he's most likely not going to be a solution in your top 6 because of his injuries. In your shoes, I'd still worship the guy because his contract is probably a big reason why the Golden Knights might end up getting Karlsson at what (if the TDL rumours are to go on) will be a steal for them.

As far as the playoffs go, we probably wouldn't get less out of him than Perron has given us this year. Though we could probably only hope for around half the 66 regular season points Perron gave us. A third line role would probably be his place.

With the contract, there's four years left. We won't have cap issues next year, so the cap hit might be an issue in year two only if we can get out of years three and four with a compliance buyout, as those might be a thing again come 2020.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Written a few moments after the crushing SCF.

Two thoughts come to me as I try to take my mind off of it.

One: You give whatever it is that you give. You get EK65 on this team.

We were massively let down defensively in this Final and we fell flat with our gameplan of offense from defensemen and point shots, this guy remedies that. Adding this much quality helps stabilize the rest of the blue line in case of dips in form.

Two: Wild Bill's rather disappointing WCF and SCF would give me more pause than previously about handing him 7 million for 8 years. But SJ stupidly payed Evander Kane 7x7 so we probably will.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad