Speculation: 2018-19 roster

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I can't believe the Blues got Maroon for $1.75M for 1 season. I would rather have done that deal than 2 years of Reaves. Maroon would be a great bottom 6 scoring threat for VGK that desperately needs secondary scoring help from it's bottom six forwards.

Yeah Maroon would have been a really nice 2nd or 3rd line forward for VGK to help replace the scoring of Neal and Perron. What a bargain. He has 4 times the points of Reaves last season and plays a tough guy role as well and his contract is much cheaper. I don't know how we weren't on him if he and his agent were settling for such a low deal. I thought for sure he would get at least $3M AAV. Other than Stastny, I think we could have done better in the UFA market.

Maroon wanted to play in his hometown of St. Louis. His son also lives there, and though Pat and his son's mother are no longer together, he wanted to be as close to his son as possible. We never had a chance, and no other team would have gotten him for that price.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Maroon wanted to play in his hometown of St. Louis. His son also lives there, and though Pat and his son's mother are no longer together, he wanted to be as close to his son as possible. We never had a chance, and no other team would have gotten him for that price.

He would have come here for the money that Reaves got. Twice the player for the money.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
For what it's worth, I think with Fleury getting his extra million and Reaves getting his extra 1.5 million, I think we might have trouble affording Bobby Ryan's full contract next year; it would be pushing it very, very close.

May be an opportunity lost as we could probably have used an amnesty buyout after next season on him to rid ourselves of the contract and used him to lower EK's price and gotten some use out of Ryan's own play for two years if we could wring 35-45 points out of him.

This is why giving Reaves twice what we should have is kind of a big deal. Not only in possibly acquiring EK but whatever other opportunities may present themselves to improve the team that get more complicated needlessly.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think it's pretty safe to say that GMGM has moved on from EK and is building his actual team instead of his fantasy team.

Regardless of the EK situation, there's other opportunities for big time acquisitions or improvements out there. Panarin seems like he might be made available soon. Other avenues can be looked at but giving out bigger contracts to lower level guys can hinder those plans.

If you give Fleury 7 instead of 6 or 5.5, that's understandable. He's a cornerstone piece and if you have to, you have to but you don't do that with fourth liners because it makes you less flexible to take advantage of whatever situations may arise out of the league.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
For what it's worth, I think with Fleury getting his extra million and Reaves getting his extra 1.5 million, I think we might have trouble affording Bobby Ryan's full contract next year; it would be pushing it very, very close.

May be an opportunity lost as we could probably have used an amnesty buyout after next season on him to rid ourselves of the contract and used him to lower EK's price and gotten some use out of Ryan's own play for two years if we could wring 35-45 points out of him.

This is why giving Reaves twice what we should have is kind of a big deal. Not only in possibly acquiring EK but whatever other opportunities may present themselves to improve the team that get more complicated needlessly.
It’s probably best we didn’t do the EK65 and Bobby Ryan trade. The way this offseason has been GMGM probably would have thought Bobby Ryan’s contract wasn’t big enough and given him a raise.

Reactions: Supermassive

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

This is what I've been saying and people keep saying we have the room what's the big deal?

Nick Holden is an expensive 6D gamble too. 2018 and 2020 might be ok, but 2019 could be up near the ceiling with very little breathing room if some of the rumored moves are made.

Every million counts and for bottom 6 players and bottom pairing players, we should be spending less while also looking for those with more skill. There's been plenty of players that we should have been on and some we shouldn't have at the amount they got. If playing here is so great for some of these vets, shouldn't we be getting a discount instead of paying them as a fan favorite that needs to put butts in the seats.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think it's pretty safe to say that GMGM has moved on from EK and is building his actual team instead of his fantasy team.

I'm sharing this opinion 100%. The current team is looking exciting and solid enough.

Few strong personal opinions... :
  • Maroon is a defensive liability, even more than Neal was. I don't see a problem in missing out with their contracts.
  • Current D might be overachieving, but they have perfect attitude. EK does not turn any team into a winning machine unless proven otherwise.
  • Reaves is a niche player. I could not care less about enforcers, but since he is the best in the business and performed like a dream, this contract is fine.
  • 1st line and insane 5v5 performance power runs around Wild Bill. He is that good. Newer fans only see his goals and know he is a good defensive player; His normal and advanced stats underlie his importance... stats like goals for while on ice / goals against while on ice / insane +49 plusminus just can't be explained with "good".
  • Fleury performed when we really needed him, but during the normal season, you could throw any goalie out there. It's based on the balanced performance in the 5v5.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT Holm, he's a NHL RFA, so, with signing in KHL he's considered defected; VGK hold his rights until he reaches UFA status (age 27; this coming December).

So, VGK will only have his rights for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Saros deal that Nashville just signed helps us with Subban next year. As long as McPhee actually negotiates, Subban should come in below that.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
% chances of our top 4 prospects making the team?

My opinions:
Glass 50%
Brannstrom 25%
Suzuki 15-20%
Hague 10%

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think Suzuki will be the real deal, I have no real issues with Glass either, both are good two-way players that should fit the team.

CURRENTLY we might have an option to go after Zucker or Panarin. I'm bit sceptical how Panarin would adapt (after last years Shippy drama), he might be too goal hungry to fit this team. Zucker is goal hungry too, meaning that he really isn't in the best of moods if doesn't get to score. Zucker trade to Vegas is just a matter of time, he is a hometown hero, and getting him now might be the right investment for the future.

All players mentioned above have great plusminus (usually on top of their team) and good shot% (10-15).

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
This year I'd say close to 0% out of camp on all of them barring injuries. I definitely think Brannstrom and Hague will get a few games this year at some point though.

It's always about minutes played for the kids. Starting there...

Glass slides in at 3C at best, and I'm sure they'll give him a look there with a focus on how well he can handle his defensive responsibilities. What makes him special is his vision on top of the rest of his game, but the Knights have a lot of options at Center so chances are he's not going to get as much ice/development time with the big club as he would in the AHL next season. So barring him dominating in camp I'd say he's somewhere around 80% playing in the AHL with a 20% chance he forces their hand.

Suzuki it's a similar deal, and he's also a smaller dude and like Glass will probably get more ice & dev time at the AHL level. Chances are he's playing there next season with a late year callup. It's just very unlikely he'd get ice time when you look at the roster ahead of him on the big club.

Now Brannstrom is the guy, IMO, who has the stars aligned. He's played against very stout competition and the nature of the Knights' blue line gives him a greater chance to break in. There is a real chance he will represent an upgrade high enough on the depth chart to stick this year. I'd put him at a 50/50 in fact, and while I know most of you think that's way too high, I will refer you to our depth chart. If they think they can trust him with the minutes, then they might well elect to slide him in knowing he will also improve moving forward and also give them an upgraded puck moving ability on the back end.

Hague made the most strides of any prospect last year, but his level of competition is not up to snuff vs what Brannstrom has faced. He's an extreme longshot to make the club, almost no chance to my eye.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Per my calculations,

VGK have 5 G, 12 D, 23F under (NHL) contract (40); plus 9 slideable contracts (1G, 3D, 5F); 5 unsigned RFAs (1D, 4F)

Chicago has four players signed to AHL deals (1D, 3F)

Probably not too many non-RFA signings to come this off season.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It's always about minutes played for the kids. Starting there...

Glass slides in at 3C at best, and I'm sure they'll give him a look there with a focus on how well he can handle his defensive responsibilities. What makes him special is his vision on top of the rest of his game, but the Knights have a lot of options at Center so chances are he's not going to get as much ice/development time with the big club as he would in the AHL next season. So barring him dominating in camp I'd say he's somewhere around 80% playing in the AHL with a 20% chance he forces their hand.

Suzuki it's a similar deal, and he's also a smaller dude and like Glass will probably get more ice & dev time at the AHL level. Chances are he's playing there next season with a late year callup. It's just very unlikely he'd get ice time when you look at the roster ahead of him on the big club.

Now Brannstrom is the guy, IMO, who has the stars aligned. He's played against very stout competition and the nature of the Knights' blue line gives him a greater chance to break in. There is a real chance he will represent an upgrade high enough on the depth chart to stick this year. I'd put him at a 50/50 in fact, and while I know most of you think that's way too high, I will refer you to our depth chart. If they think they can trust him with the minutes, then they might well elect to slide him in knowing he will also improve moving forward and also give them an upgraded puck moving ability on the back end.

Hague made the most strides of any prospect last year, but his level of competition is not up to snuff vs what Brannstrom has faced. He's an extreme longshot to make the club, almost no chance to my eye.

Glass and Suzuki aren't eligible for the AHL next season, so that's why I give them a 0% chance of being on the Knights - they're better served going back to Junior and playing in the WJC. If their Junior team gets eliminated before the AHL season ends, then I can see them getting some time with the Wolves (like Suzuki did last year).

McPhee specifically stated that he wanted an 8-man rotation on D, and he's got 8 guys signed to NHL deals (if you count Theo). Therefore, I would imagine Brannstrom and Hague spend the year in the AHL - Hague getting used to playing against men and Brannstrom getting used to the smaller North American ice surface. Maybe they get called up for the occasional game if there are any injuries at the NHL level. I can't see them playing more than 9 NHL games though, as I imagine McPhee will want all FOUR of their ELC's to slide this season.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So, Carrier, Karlsson and Theodore are the RFAs remaining. (After the defection of RFAs Holm and Pulkkinen)

Wild Bill will have deal by early-August (arbitration or negotiated).

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Golden Knights aren’t at top of class with offseason moves

RJ summarizes off season moves thus far, with quotes from many other (media) sources.

Haven't seen any season previews that would suggest the VGK would do anything else than maybe getting into the playoffs.

All of the 2017-2018 second line just sucked in plusminus, Imo it's easy to see why they didn't want to keep it. Fixing the second line alone would be a big deal for us, even if the rest of the lines would regress. Feeling positive here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad