2018-19 Roster

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Smith on waivers

Jaysus.

As if the payroll wasn't cut enough, we're just giving Smith away at this point?

I mean... Sure, if no one wants to trade for him, I get that, but why not just keep him at that point? It's not like we need the cap space, and with Pageau out for the year, having depth at center isn't a bad thing.

This screams of cutting payroll for the sake of saving money, and nothing else.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I liked Smith the person, supposedly loved in the room and sure seemed like a stand-up guy. But he appears to have been beaten out by better players so this is the proper move imo. I don't think Smith was a terrible player, but he lost his spot imo. Seemed slower this year but that might just be a reflection of the new players being faster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jaysus.

As if the payroll wasn't cut enough, we're just giving Smith away at this point?

I mean... Sure, if no one wants to trade for him, I get that, but why not just keep him at that point? It's not like we need the cap space, and with Pageau out for the year, having depth at center isn't a bad thing.

Definitely a cost cutting move, though getting out of Smith's contract (I highly doubt anyone claims him) would be nice. He's been an anchor and has 3 years and 10 million left.

Reactions: Cosmix and R2010

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Jaysus.

opens up space for young guys depending on what we actually do with smith

R2010

May 23, 2011
Guess if he is claimed this raises the chances that the sens make a waiver claim for a cut elsewhere. Here's hoping it is Frk or someone similar with some scoring upside.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Very inconsistent player. Went in hibernation for years and then looks like a top 6 player for a bunch of games then back to hibernation.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Trade one of the ****ty 'gritty' ' character' players (Smith) to Lou for Ho-Sang. Try to run this.

Formenton - Duchene - Dzingel
Tkachuk - Chlapik - Stone
Boedker- White - Ho-Sang
MPS - Pyatt - Ryan

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - DeMelo
Boro - Wideman

That top line is fasttttt

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Do you all think Formenton is a lock, at least for a few games? Especially on that top line? Thanks!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Complaining about Borowiecki as your captain when Melnyk is your owner is like worrying if Pizza Pizza would be able to get you your pizza in under 30 minutes in Arlington Woods last Friday night.

I used to own a home that is about 100 yards away from the destruction in Arlington Woods.

SENSARMY18

Sep 26, 2018
Young fast team this year, look at Vegas last year that’s he kind of thing we will be seeing more of, young and fast wins in this league. I’m cautiously optimistic about this year, guys have lots to prove and no expectations.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Michael Stone in Calgary makes sense for both teams potentially. I'd add a late round pick to get out of a year of that contract. Hell we paid a 2nd to save a few bucks (sadly)
Are we trading Smith for him?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just saw Garrioch’s tweet that Wolanin and Chlapik have been sent to Belleville. Another money-saving move as the team already has enough NHL level contracts, even though those two might have played well enough to earn a roster spot. No big deal though as I think this demotion will motivate them to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad