2018-19 Roster

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
clearly we've had a lot more established talent than what we currently have but just my opinion I don't think we've had as many nhl capable forwards as what we have now. we're going to struggle to score but we're going to be able to call up, rotate in and out probably better than we've been able to in the past

Yeah, I'm with Micklebot. We might have the greatest number of potential NHL forwards, but I don't think all of them are currently capable. For example, I don't think Formenton is a capable NHL forward just yet. He looks good in the pre-season, but there is no guarantee he'll maintain that during the regular season. Same thing goes for Chlapik, White, et all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Our D needs a stud on RD... just can't put my finger on why that is.
Yeah thats definitely the weakest point. I really dont know who is going to PK. I think Wideman and or Demello will end up being the 7th guy just because Jaros has to play so there is someone remotely physical in the lineup.

Reactions: BondraTime

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah thats definitely the weakest point. I really dont know who is going to PK. I think Wideman and or Demello will end up being the 7th guy just because Jaros has to play so there is someone remotely physical in the lineup.

Might just let some skill guys play, and shift Boro to the fight side for the PK

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Going to be a rough year...

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
PK is said to be easy to teach.

It's not positionning that was the problem last few year, it's speed, skating, retriving puck and clearing it, and hockey smart.

Ceci: good skating defenceman but slow to react and poor at clearing the puck, good stick in term of covering passing lane, IMO.
Phaneuf : bad at skating, slow to react, poor at retriving puck so wasn't able to clear.
Boro: not bad skater, but poor reaction time, get to the puck but he cannot play against the best.
Karlsson: Good at everything nornally but he wasn't himself defensively last year in term of covering player and all. That's an anomaly.

These 4 were the main PK player.

IMO, this year should be

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin/Boro- Jaros.

It's not optimal, but i want them to be good at skating and able to clear puck. Boro is kinda here by default.

Also, let's not forget that the dman cover mid to downlow generally.

The forward also need to be good at skating and fast if possible. Good hockey sense is a must. A guy like Mark Stone can still play it because of his quick thinking.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
PK is said to be easy to teach.

It's not positionning that was the problem last few year, it's speed, skating, retriving puck and clearing it, and hockey smart.

Ceci: good skating defenceman but slow to react and poor at clearing the puck, good stick in term of covering passing lane, IMO.
Phaneuf : bad at skating, slow to react, poor at retriving puck so wasn't able to clear.
Boro: not bad skater, but poor reaction time, get to the puck but he cannot play against the best.
Karlsson: Good at everything nornally but he wasn't himself defensively last year in term of covering player and all. That's an anomaly.

These 4 were the main PK player.

IMO, this year should be

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin/Boro- Jaros.

It's not optimal, but i want them to be good at skating and able to clear puck. Boro is kinda here by default.

Also, let's not forget that the dman cover mid to downlow generally.

The forward also need to be good at skating and fast if possible. Good hockey sense is a must. A guy like Mark Stone can still play it because of his quick thinking.

Boxing players out from the crease area is going to be the issue. Anderson or whomever is going to have to deal with a lot of screened shots imo.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My guess:

Formenton-Duchene-Boedker
Tkachuk-Tierney-Stone
Dzingel-Chlapik-Ryan
Smith-White-Paajarvi/Pyatt

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Demelo
Borowiecki-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Wish we could package up a lower line forward or two along with a bottom pairing dman for a solid blueliner but unfortunately Dorion can't trade with himself.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Might just let some skill guys play, and shift Boro to the fight side for the PK

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Boro

Going to be a rough year...

I dont see it as a good idea to having Chabot play on the PK at this point in his career. He needs to play to his strengths thats at even strength and PP. Wolanin should be no where near a PK, amazingly skilled player but his defensive awareness is really really weak at this point.

So like I said there are only two good candidates to PK and those are Ceci and Boro. Jaros pretty much has to dress, or Harpur has a revelation and starts to be effective.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My guess:

Formenton-Duchene-Boedker
Tkachuk-Tierney-Stone
Dzingel-Chlapik-Ryan

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Demelo
Borowiecki-Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Wish we could package up a lower line forward or two along with a bottom pairing dman for a solid blueliner but unfortunately Dorion can't trade with himself.

I like this. See how it goes for 8 games then switch Formenton for White and add Carey instead of White and send Formenton down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont see it as a good idea to having Chabot play on the PK at this point in his career. He needs to play to his strengths thats at even strength and PP. Wolanin should be no where near a PK, amazingly skilled player but his defensive awareness is really really weak at this point.

So like I said there are only two good candidates to PK and those are Ceci and Boro. Jaros pretty much has to dress, or Harpur has a revelation and starts to be effective.

Back when Clouston was HC, they played Karlsson on the PK to finish of a write off season when people still highly questioned his defensive awareness. It worked out pretty good and Karlsson was pretty effective in the role. I think Chabot could learn in that role. Haven't seen enough of Wolanin to be sure if he's ready, but it's not like we have a lot of options.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Up front I think I would run this:

Formenton-Duchene-Dzingle
Tkachuk-Chlapik-Stone
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan

Can we turn the nets around and use pilons on D and G?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Trade one of the shitty 'gritty' ' character' players (Smith) to Lou for Ho-Sang. Try to run this.

Formenton - Duchene - Dzingel
Tkachuk - Chlapik - Stone
Boedker- White - Ho-Sang
MPS - Pyatt - Ryan

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - DeMelo
Boro - Wideman

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tkachuk - Tierney/Chlapik - Stone
Boedker - Tierney/Chlapik - Ryan
Paajarvi - White- Pyatt

This lineup makes the most sense to start the year, and then go from there

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trade one of the ****ty 'gritty' ' character' players (Smith) to Lou for Ho-Sang. Try to run this.

Tkachuk - Chlapik - Stone
Boedker- White - Ho-Sang
MPS - Pyatt - Ryan

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - DeMelo
Boro - Wideman
so... why is lou making that deal?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Who to you reckon kills penalties then? I am guessing you havent thought of that one.

I really don't see how that's relevant. We are talking about a competition for #7 between three guys who have very little PK experience between them. In fact, the only one with any real experience is Harpur.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Tkachuk - Tierney/Chlapik - Stone
Boedker - Tierney/Chlapik - Ryan
Paajarvi - White- Pyatt

This lineup makes the most sense to start the year, and then go from there

Sadly you forgot longest serving Senator Zack Smith...

Reactions: Clayonator

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really don't see how that's relevant. We are talking about a competition for #7 between three guys who have very little PK experience between them. In fact, the only one with any real experience is Harpur.

How is it not relevant?.... Its important when deciding who will play on the team 7th 6th , 5th d man etc that there are roles to fill and what each players roles will be.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So if we are going with 22 players on the roster we'll likely have 7D and 13F.

Mckenna sent down, Jaros and Lajoie get sent down.

On F that leaves one of White, Chlapik or Formenton to be sent down or McCormick is waived. Tkachuk is making the team no doubt and Chlapik as well IMO.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hey guys, just popping in to ask if your preseason has been as big a disaster as the Canucks's. Not a troll post, more asking in solidarity lol.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Hey guys, just popping in to ask if your preseason has been as big a disaster as the Canucks's. Not a troll post, more asking in solidarity lol.

Well yes. But because we don't have a first round pick that automatically makes it worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad