Pjaarvi-Pyatt-Ryan
McCormick/Carey

Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Wideman
Boroweicki-DeMelo
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

Is this too much too ask for? Formenton with Duchene would be so much speed its almost not even fair.. was so tempted to toss Dzingel on that line too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My take:
Formenton - Duchene - Dzingel
Tkachuk - Tierney - Stone
Boedker - Smith - Ryan
Paajarvi - McCormick/Chlapik - Pyatt
EDIT_ 1 line too many!

Chabot - Ceci
Wolanin - Wideman
Boroweicki - DeMelo
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is going to be a season where the TOI difference between the top line and the bottom line will be withen +/- 2:00 minutes.

By putting Ryan on the 4th line with a proven 2-way 20 goal scorer (Tierney) and a fast as blazes rookie (Formenton) we should be maximizing his usefulness. Playing against opposing 3/4 lines and 2/3 defence pairings. They should feast on that, also it should increase Bobby’s trade value.

I think this line could be decent based on what I have seen of these 3 players so far. They won't be playing 4th line minutes against other teams' scrubs for long. On this team, they could become the second line and get the appropo minutes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd start with this:

Formenton - Duchene - White
Tkachuk - Tierney - Stone
Dzingel - Chlapik - Ryan
Boedker - Smith - Pyatt

Talent is spread throughout the lineup, all our young players have talented linemates, every line has a player with 20 goal potential, and it would allow us to distribute minutes relatively evenly at ES. Formenton probably won't stick but he's earned a legit shot at a scoring position to start the season.

White is not first line material. Dzingel has more offense than him, so I would move Dzingel up to first line. Move White to 3rd line. Based on what I have seen so far I find Boedker to be a disappointment, but am willing to wait and see before dumping on him and Dorion.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tkachuk-Duchene-Dzingel
Formenton-Chlapik-Stone
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt

I want White to start in the AHL.
Unless he really excels, send Formenton back to junior after 9 games.

Reactions: SensFactor

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Tkachuk-Duchene-Dzingel
Formenton-Chlapik-Stone
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Paajarvi-Smith-Pyatt

I want White to start in the AHL.
Unless he really excels, send Formenton back to junior after 9 games.

Why would you split up Tkachuk and Stone right now?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think this line could be decent based on what I have seen of these 3 players so far. They won't be playing 4th line minutes against other teams' scrubs for long. On this team, they could become the second line and get the appropo minutes.

Our only hope in hell this year is to our pace the other teams. We have to be fast on the puck, and transition quick. That means rolling all four lines, probably minimizing matchups and assignments outside the third line.

I just wish we had like one more veteran defenseman. Would make things easier.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Our only hope in hell this year is to our pace the other teams. We have to be fast on the puck, and transition quick. That means rolling all four lines, probably minimizing matchups and assignments outside the third line.

Really our only hope is for Chlapik and Tkachuk to become legit top-6 forwards almost right away, and for Wolanin to become a legit top 4 D.

And you're spot on about needing another veteran D, especially so Chabot doesn't get overwhelmed.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The young guys in camp only need to look over their shoulders to realize there are other potential candidates just waiting for a shot to get games with the big club.
The competition is fierce and guys like Logan Brown who has been used to being a top prospect, may have had a dose of reality setting in after this camp.
Hopefully this will serve as a motivator and his true potential will be realized with a consistent work ethic. He will either rise to the challenge or struggle to maintain a shot at a career in the NHL.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

No chance to compete with that d core. Doesnt matter who the forwards are.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the good news up front is that we are clearly deeper than we've been at any point in franchise history. we're lacking some established top 6 strength but in terms of guys that look like they can play in the league we look pretty deep. That should result in a lot of guys pushing to get up and guys that are up looking over their shoulder. hopefully that doesn't result in guys squeezing their sticks and getting stapled to the bench with every mistake

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
the good news up front is that we are clearly deeper than we've been at any point in franchise history. we're lacking some established top 6 strength but in terms of guys that look like they can play in the league we look pretty deep. That should result in a lot of guys pushing to get up and guys that are up looking over their shoulder. hopefully that doesn't result in guys squeezing their sticks and getting stapled to the bench with every mistake

Yup, hopefully the coach really does believe in the youth movement and lets them play and make mistakes.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd still make a pitch for Kevin Bieska. Look at that D-core, we going to get murdered in the physical department. With Bieska, at least we can have someone that can help clear the front of the net.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What? The franchise has been around longer than the last 10 years...

2003-04:

RW: Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Neil, added Bondra at the deadline
C: Spezza, Bonk, Smoke (I seem to recall he shifted to wing at times), White, Fisher (got hurt that year)
L: Scheafer, Vermette (also played center), Van-Allen (played center a bit too I think), Varada, Schastlivy

Then we had guys like Kelly, Eaves, Kaigorodov (looked promising at the time), Laich (up until he got traded for Bondra), Schubert (played both D and forward), Hamel, McGratten, and Langfield in the minors

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd still make a pitch for Kevin Bieska. Look at that D-core, we going to get murdered in the physical department. With Bieska, at least we can have someone that can help clear the front of the net.

I didn't watch much Anaheim last year, but wasn't he terrible?

Reactions: solidprospect

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What? The franchise has been around longer than the last 10 years...

2003-04:

RW: Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat, Neil, added Bondra at the deadline
C: Spezza, Bonk, Smoke (I seem to recall he shifted to wing at times), White, Fisher (got hurt that year)
L: Scheafer, Vermette (also played center), Van-Allen (played center a bit too I think), Varada, Schastlivy

Then we had guys like Kelly, Eaves, Kaigorodov (looked promising at the time), Laich (up until he got traded for Bondra), Schubert (played both D and forward), Hamel, McGratten, and Langfield in the minors

clearly we've had a lot more established talent than what we currently have but just my opinion I don't think we've had as many nhl capable forwards as what we have now. we're going to struggle to score but we're going to be able to call up, rotate in and out probably better than we've been able to in the past

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
clearly we've had a lot more established talent than what we currently have but just my opinion I don't think we've had as many nhl capable forwards as what we have now. we're going to struggle to score but we're going to be able to call up, rotate in and out probably better than we've been able to in the past

I mean, I listed 22 forwards that were either established and capable NHL players at that time (14), prospects that became quality NHL players (3) or promising prospects that either got a cup of coffee, became bottom line journeymen, or otherwise didn't pan out to any great extent (5). At worst, that's 17 NHL quality players. There are probably a handful of guys that time has forgotten too, who at the time would have been well thought of.

Idk, I think we have a deep pool, but I'm not so sure that I agree it's the deepest we've had. Deepest in the last while, for sure though.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Really our only hope is for Chlapik and Tkachuk to become legit top-6 forwards almost right away, and for Wolanin to become a legit top 4 D.

And you're spot on about needing another veteran D, especially so Chabot doesn't get overwhelmed.

I wouldn’t put it past Brady to come in and be a instant star. Chlapik has a third liner floor imo, so good chance there too.

Wolanin needed a year of seasoning imo. Gunna be dicey. The kid can do it but, yikes.

I’d roll the dice on Mark Fayne. Veteran, shut down RD, looks like a good pair for Chabot. Ceci could go with Wolanin, Wideman with Boro/Lajoie.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
No chance to compete with that d core. Doesnt matter who the forwards are.

If one kid breaks out and we found someone to eat 20 minutes of ice a night (dreams), I’d think we’d be league average... ish.

But right now we look like league worst.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This team needs so much...Its pretty overwhelming,the defense is probably the weakest link..And will take the longest to rebuild...I see the need for at least 2 top 4 defenders,and those dont come cheap ...And usually take years to grow...

Without hope from F/A we are in this for a long while,this supposed vision of a rebuild ...Without your 1st rounder is just so stupid....We are going to have an epic fail of a season,with nothing to look forward to at the draft..It really makes me not want to even bother with this season at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad