Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Lundestrom is going to play I want him to play center. I rather have Steel play as a winger but realistically they both need to play center for development.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Manson needs to be back with lindholm as well.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
How has Kesler looked since returning? In terms of C, is he playing 2C or 3C? getting PP time?

He's generally been 3C, but that doesn't mean much as we're trying to spread guys around the four lines to balance them out. He's gotten a PP goal and is playing a net-front presence on the PP. He hasn't looked like prime Kesler or anything, but better than last year in terms of skating.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Imagine being one of the Gulls defensemen watching our D running around all over the place, and not being able to protect Gibby, and you’re not good enough to play ahead of that!?

Probably feel like going back to school

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Remember when we all said we have too much talent to be in the top 5 pick sweepstakes? We're one Gibson injury from being in the top 5 pick sweepstakes.

This team really shows it doesn't matter how much talent you have on the ice if you have the worst coaching staff in the NHL.

Reactions: Bender66

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Remember when we all said we have too much talent to be in the top 5 pick sweepstakes? We're one Gibson injury from being in the top 5 pick sweepstakes.

This team really shows it doesn't matter how much talent you have on the ice if you have the worst coaching staff in the NHL.
Granted, we have what could be a decent team’s top 6 not playing. But the ones who are, for the most part, look like they’d be willing to waive a NMC to get out of here.

Reactions: mightyquack

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

They've played most of their games missing three full lines worth of NHL forwards.

But yes, if the team is outshot by 25 per game for the entire season, or even half that, they will be a top-5 pick.

Last edited:

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I really don't think it's the D.

Besides the missing forwards, which is a ton of them, we've got:

Getzlaf looking off even when healthy
Rakell doing absolutely nothing

A bunch of career back-6 guys playing like back-6 guys.

The rookies, minus Lundestrom, being scrappy little guys who are dangerous in transition but worthless on the boards or winning tough puck battles.

That's what's causing a complete inability to maintain any sort of sustained pressure, and any D is gonna look bad spending 30 minutes a night in their own end.

Oct 18, 2011
They've played most of their games missing three full lines worth of NHL forwards.

But yes, if the team is outshot by 25 per game for the entire season, or even half that, they will be a top-5 pick.
Shot prevention has been bad, that signals a defensive issue. It's not just injuries. Bad teams get outshot like this.

Getz, Kesler and Henrique all played last night and the ducks were embarassed

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Not going to bother reading through last night's GDT. Not big on masochism.
Dat new system by RC is sexy as F though ....

Cam Charmin continues to disappoint.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I was thinking about how much the style of play has changed since pre-season. It took like two or three regular season games to revert back to last year. Regardless of the record, he's supposed to be implementing something different this season.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Imagine being one of the Gulls defensemen watching our D running around all over the place, and not being able to protect Gibby, and you’re not good enough to play ahead of that!?

Probably feel like going back to school
Or perhaps they're watching the defensive effort put forth by the forwards and counting their lucky stars that this isn't when they're getting their NHL audition.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I was thinking about how much the style of play has changed since pre-season. It took like two or three regular season games to revert back to last year. Regardless of the record, he's supposed to be implementing something different this season.
Having so many different guys in the lineup probably doesn't help. They look like they have no chemistry most nights.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I completely disagree with the notion that Carlyle failed by changing the lines up last night. A bad coach continues with a plan that isn't working. Those line changes gave us a chance to win, last night.

Having so many different guys in the lineup probably doesn't help. They look like they have no chemistry most nights.
While that's true, we had many preseason games where similar amounts of regulars were gone, and they still managed to play to that style.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I completely disagree with the notion that Carlyle failed by changing the lines up last night. A bad coach continues with a plan that isn't working. Those line changes gave us a chance to win, last night.

While that's true, we had many preseason games where similar amounts of regulars were gone, and they still managed to play to that style.
Sure but against a full NHL team? In many ways I feel like our team is still in its preaseason while everyone else has moved on.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Sure but against a full NHL team? In many ways I feel like our team is still in its preaseason while everyone else has moved on.
A new system is going to have bumps in the road. You have to commit to that, even if you have to improvise solutions as leaks sprout. I don't think he's doing that.

Besides, it's not like what we've reverted to is any more effective.

I'm a game or two away from returning to the fire Carlyle bandwagon. I cannot handle another season like last one. That was more unwatchable than the 2012 season was. At least we could laugh at how bad things were back then.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Gibson has been a band-aid on the wound that is RC. Sometimes the record is not the best indicator of if a team is progressing. This team is still coached to dump the puck, shoot the puck up the boards to clear the D zone, and collapse around the goalie when protecting a lead.

Reactions: Duck Off
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad