Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Why do you say that?

My guess is that Stastny and Bozak(maybe not Stastny as much if he goes back to Colorado or stays in Winnipeg) will get signed for a fairly outrageous price and that'll affect the perception of what a center's worth on the open market. Up until now there haven't been too many UFA comparables, so I think it's possible that $5 million range is still reasonable. Same kind of logic applies with Silfverberg too but to a much lesser degree.

As for Gibson, hes probably the most important to make headway with this summer, before he wins the Vezina or something, but there probably won't be anything that affects that market happening in July and Martin Jones is still his best comparable.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think Bozak might be the best comparable of the two you mentioned. But not really sure what he will end up with. I think GMs are starting to get a little bit smarter.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I thought so too, until Doug Wilson gave out that Kane deal. Maybe some are, but I'm thinking otherwise.
Given their pick tonight the Sharks might just be an outlier these days. But I guess we will find out soon enough. I do think that cap management is critical in the days of the salary cap, even for a budget team. You can't be signing good but not great players to long and expensive contracts. I think that Zaitsev deal the Leafs signed is the kind of deal that will bite them in the butt.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We were told at the beginning of the year the PP was going to be run by all 3 bench coaches. Yet after a second year of a dismal PP Bob blames the newest guy who wasn't even here the year before when the PP was pretty much the same. Now who was here during both of those years who maybe should take some responsibility? Hmmm?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We were told at the beginning of the year the PP was going to be run by all 3 bench coaches. Yet after a second year of a dismal PP Bob blames the newest guy who wasn't even here the year before when the PP was pretty much the same. Now who was here during both of those years who maybe should take some responsibility? Hmmm?

Does it rhyme with candy star aisle?

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

That’s a pretty good read in terms of quotes from Murray. I don’t have time to recap it all but he said of Elliott Friedman speculating on Kesler to keep throwing spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks which made me laugh as Friedman has become an absolute joke of late and this is the first thing he’s had right about the Ducks in a long time. It does sound like the Kesler situation is serious though.

Edit: I will throw in that in terms of the actual make up of the team it’s just more of the same quotes from Murray. That changes will be made but it’s too hard to make moves. Same stuff we hear every year. I would say the team next season will be very similar to what we currently have.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
That’s a pretty good read in terms of quotes from Murray. I don’t have time to recap it all but he said of Elliott Friedman speculating on Kesler to keep throwing spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks which made me laugh as Friedman has become an absolute joke of late and this is the first thing he’s had right about the Ducks in a long time. It does sound like the Kesler situation is serious though.

Edit: I will throw in that in terms of the actual make up of the team it’s just more of the same quotes from Murray. That changes will be made but it’s too hard to make moves. Same stuff we hear every year. I would say the team next season will be very similar to what we currently have.
Thanks, pretty much as expected. No more status quo, the new status is: status quo.

Reactions: Getzmonster
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Thanks for the summary. Amazingly it looks like the only coverage of Murray's remarks are behind a pay wall. When you or someone gets a chance maybe you could provide a more detailed summary?

At the draft, at camp, and at the deadline are pretty much the only times Murray has much of anything to say.

Reactions: Duck Off

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Read the article. Murray’s tone is pretty pissed, and it sounds like with Getz and perry. He wants to make changes to the roster but said it’s been harder than he thought. He thinks the big Ufas and the lower than expected cap are the reasons.

Kesler has told people that if he feels like last year again he will retire, but he’s felt better of late.

Is trying to get all free agents signed and will have more info next week. Doesn’t want to go into the year with pending ufas.

Is pissed he had to fire another coach and blames the teams leadership group.

In all, he’s trying to make changes and it really sounds like perry in particular, but right now nobody wants to add salary with free agency around the corner.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Summary:

Murray said come September, he’ll be looking at the leadership group.

Eric Stephens speculates that the Ducks won’t move Getzlaf, Perry, or Kesler. No one wants the last two.

Murray said he wants to “make some change.” But it has been harder than he thought.

GMs thought the cap would increase to more than $80M.

Lots of talk between GMs. “Pretty good free agents” out there that teams are waiting on.

Kesler said that if he feels as bad as he did last season, that he doesn’t know if he can keep playing. Last season was really hard on Kesler.

Kesler said he's getting better. “I feel like an athlete again.” Murray doesn’t know what that means until he puts skates on.

Expected to have good news on an extension next week. Wouldn’t say who.

Extending Gibson is a high priority. Murray wants to resign Silfverberg and Henrique. Wants to sign them in the next couple of months or early into season. Hopeful he can fit them all under the cap.

Murray wants to make changes, but doesn’t feel any pressure.

“Things have to change. On and off the ice.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad