Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Eventually, I think Steel, Terry, and Lundestrom all go back to their respective leagues. I see Comtois and Sherwood as the guys up all season.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Kase
Comtois-Henrique-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Kesler-Eaves
Cogliano-Rowney-Sherwood

... would be my preferred lines.
Id be okay with that line up... the getz rakell kase line has potential to be 1 of the top lines in hockey.

I am still on the boat that Silfverberg can work with Rakell and Getz.... and I feel like comtois Henrique and kase could be a very solid line also.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
some guys were making a big deal about it on Twitter. My guess it's related to the paperwork thing they do every year when we have a day or two extra between games. I think Sherwood was off it as well. My guess is it's just the Ducks saving small amounts of cap/budget space where they can.
And now they're back up again.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

Not surprised Terry might be out (at least for a game), he's been one of the least impressive forwards so far IMO.

Reactions: Paul4587

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

Not surprised Terry might be out (at least for a game), he's been one of the least impressive forwards so far IMO.

That Cogs-Kes-Raks line is wtf. Odd use of Rakell, unless the plan is to double down on his lack of offensive presence (incoming Ricky hat-trick). And not that it's a big deal, but seeing Lundestrom on Steel's wing made me wince a little.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The premise here is that the author doesn't believe the Ducks' defense can hold. The author has his standard of a good team being one that shoots a lot, but shooting a lot doesn't mean a team scores a lot. Although the Ducks are being out-shot, they're not permitting a lot of goals. Throughout the many seasons, Anaheim has always had a good defense and allowing one of the fewest goals in the league.

Year...... Rank..... GA/G
2015....... 1st ........ 2.29
2016....... 3rd ....... 2.40
2017....... 3rd ....... 2.55
2018...... 2nd ....... 1.50

In the article, the author denotes how the Ducks, or namely Goalie Phenom Gibson, cannot sustain that high rate. That is true, but, then again, neither can other teams as well. I put up the previous three seasons to reveal the pattern that the Ducks usually rank in the top-3 in goals against. So with the Ducks ranking 2nd today, it remains consistent. And they're doing it with a minimum of five rookies (four rookies in games 1 and 2), with one of them being only 18 years old. These rookies are being pushed up due to the mass injuries that have hit the Ducks.

While this article paints the Ducks lucky, Duck fans are beaming that the offensive Ducklings have helped be undefeated in four games. What the Ducks need and have always needed is scoring. Surprisingly, 19-year old Max Comtois has 3 points (2G, 1A) in four games to help earn wins. The NHL has been playing against the Ducklings on offense. Now, imagine a healthy C Getzlaf, C Kelser, F Eaves, and F Kase on the ice instead F Terry, C Steel, C Lundestrom, F Comtois, and F Sherwood. Anaheim is in good hands as their forward prospect pool can float at the NHL level this young in their professional career.

The Ducks are hedging for a collapse if your scope is only four games into the 2018 season. Volume of shots shouldn't be the pinnacle gauge for final outcome, but goals allowed. Even the author noted how the Ducks out-shot the Wings 27-21, but needed OT to win. The author relies so much on quantitative analysis than qualitative analysis.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Hmmm... I would have thought that Lundestrom would fit better with Cogs-Kes than the non defensive mind of Rakell. But I thought that Lundestrom and Terry looked like there's possibly instant chemistry there - or at least that's what I saw in OT vs Wings.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Rakell has been worse at least Terry has had 4 grade A scoring chances although I agree he needs to go down

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I’d rather see Lundestrom on keslers wing and rakell with steel.

I think strel.rakell Sherwood could be good and Kesler and cogs could show lundestrom the ropes on good defensive hockey.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a little surprised to see him pushed to the wing with Steel centering and not the other way around. Maybe that's due to faceoff percentages? I haven't tracked it with those two.

Maybe it's handedness? I think Lundestrom is RH shot and Steel is LH.

When (if) healthy, I would like to see:
Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silf-Henrique-Kase
Cogs/Ritchie-Kesler-Sherwood
Cogs/Ritchie/Street/Eaves-Rowney-Gibbons/Eaves

That would give Getz 2 guys that can (theoretically) put the puck in the net, puts Silf on LW (that line seemed good in pre-season), and gives the bottom lines some solid depth. No idea if Comtois against top competition would work though, but only one way to find out... right?

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm a little surprised to see him pushed to the wing with Steel centering and not the other way around. Maybe that's due to faceoff percentages? I haven't tracked it with those two.

Steel is just shy of 52% and Lundestrom is at 40%. I thought Lundestrom was doing really well on the dot last game, but I think it was just him winning each faceoff to start each period - he ended up being 3/10 on the draw that game.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m perfectly happy not giving Lundestrom heavy minutes on a Cogs/Kesler shutdown line. Let him not get his confidence shattered playing against top lines. I think if Terry had been given 3rd line minutes the entire time he’d be in much better shape. He still needs to go down, but getting out onto the top line and being overwhelmed, then getting absolutely zero help from Rakell after Getzlaf went down hasn’t done him any favors.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Maybe it's handedness? I think Lundestrom is RH shot and Steel is LH.

When (if) healthy, I would like to see:
Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silf-Henrique-Kase
Cogs/Ritchie-Kesler-Sherwood
Cogs/Ritchie/Street/Eaves-Rowney-Gibbons/Eaves

That would give Getz 2 guys that can (theoretically) put the puck in the net, puts Silf on LW (that line seemed good in pre-season), and gives the bottom lines some solid depth. No idea if Comtois against top competition would work though, but only one way to find out... right?

Both LH

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Still pretty early in his 9 game tryout, but it’s looking like Comtois has earned himself a spot right? Could have easily had another goal or 2 last game, he's going to be a good one.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Still pretty early in his 9 game tryout, but it’s looking like Comtois has earned himself a spot right? Could have easily had another goal or 2 last game, he's going to be a good one.
So far, he's been as NHL-ready as a rookie can get. The only rationale, that I can see, is that they're fretting over contracts and the expansion draft.

Reactions: ScarTroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino