Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This team needs a sniper, unfortunately we have zero and we have zero in our prospect pool.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This team needs a sniper, unfortunately we have zero and we have zero in our prospect pool.

Comtois is a pretty good sniper - 44 goals in 55 games in the Q is nothing to sneeze at. McLaughlin is a bit of a long shot but he could be down the line. Rakell is when he’s playing with Getzlaf.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

What is a sniper on the top of your head? Comtois is one somehow. Kopacka is a shooter. Gates as well. But you are right we miss a high end goalscorer. A lot teams do, there are not many in this league. From the toolset alone, Silfverberg would be one.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Rakell right now should not get to play on Getzlaf's line.

It would be pretty dumb to not put a player who's scored at a 36-38 goal pace for two straight seasons next to Getzlaf, not next to Getzlaf. Rakell isn't a guy who drive a 1st line, we knew this from early last season already. But he plays the 2nd fiddle next to Getzlaf very well. "Deserving" is irrelevant, you put the lines together trying to give your team the best possible chance to win games.

Oct 18, 2011
If the ducks ever do get healthy they've got some tough decisions. Namely Comtois who has earned the right to stay longer

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
It would be pretty dumb to not put a player who's scored at a 36-38 goal pace for two straight seasons next to Getzlaf, not next to Getzlaf. Rakell isn't a guy who drive a 1st line, we knew this from early last season already. But he plays the 2nd fiddle next to Getzlaf very well. "Deserving" is irrelevant, you put the lines together trying to give your team the best possible chance to win games.

Yeah put him there and we will see if he will perform again. It's similar logic as putting Fowler on the first line power play. Perhaps he will get going. Sometime.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Dallas suck. They lost the next two games 7-1 after the comeback against us. I feel we should have won that game if the team minus Gibson didn't crumble like a house of cards.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Yeah put him there and we will see if he will perform again. It's similar logic as putting Fowler on the first line power play. Perhaps he will get going.

I disagree based on the evidence that Elvs put out. Sure, it wasn't the best way to do it, but I think we all know that Rakell is a monster alongside Getzlaf.

Honestly, I was hoping that he would start to take on more responsibility as he's the most offensively skilled player on the team, so I'd like to see him develop to carry his own line at a minimum. I don't know the ins and outs of the locker room, but he should be looked to as an "overlooked" player who blossomed into a superstar who gets assess out of their seats when he winds it up. Honestly, is there any other player on the current team that provokes that sort of excitement? He has to earn that reputation though, he clearly didn't overcome expectations by being a lazy ass, but he sure looks like it on the ice.

He's been a disappointment overall, but if we remember early last season he's been much better early this season(that's not a barometer that he should be measured against). All in all, like most of the team, I want him to be on fire come playoffs because quite frankly I'm sick of the Regular Season Western Conference Champion banners.

Ok, my rant on Rakell is over. His talent is unreal, but he makes me want to punch that stupid mouthguard out of his face 95% of the time. Get it together dude.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Dallas suck. They lost the next two games 7-1 after the comeback against us. I feel we should have won that game if the team minus Gibson didn't crumble like a house of cards.
Dude did you watch that 2nd period it might have been the worst 2nd period I've ever seen in my f***ing life. Gibson had 30+ shots in the second alone with like 6 minutes left. They were in our zone or on the powerplay for at least 90% of the entire period.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I disagree based on the evidence that Elvs put out. Sure, it wasn't the best way to do it, but I think we all know that Rakell is a monster alongside Getzlaf.

Honestly, I was hoping that he would start to take on more responsibility as he's the most offensively skilled player on the team, so I'd like to see him develop to carry his own line at a minimum. I don't know the ins and outs of the locker room, but he should be looked to as an "overlooked" player who blossomed into a superstar who gets assess out of their seats when he winds it up. Honestly, is there any other player on the current team that provokes that sort of excitement? He has to earn that reputation though, he clearly didn't overcome expectations by being a lazy ass, but he sure looks like it on the ice.

He's been a disappointment overall, but if we remember early last season he's been much better early this season(that's not a barometer that he should be measured against). All in all, like most of the team, I want him to be on fire come playoffs because quite frankly I'm sick of the Regular Season Western Conference Champion banners.

Ok, my rant on Rakell is over. His talent is unreal, but he makes me want to punch that stupid mouthguard out of his face 95% of the time. Get it together dude.
Rakell is in no way, shape, or form the most talented offensive player on this team.

Getzlaf has been that for the last 12 years and continues to be

Rakell is a solid top line winger, Getzlaf is a hall of famer

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Rakell is in no way, shape, or form the most talented offensive player on this team.

I said offensively skilled player, and I think that honestly Getzlaf has never been the most offensively skilled player on his team. That's obviously going to be based on how you define offensively skilled player.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden

I'm just ranting on Rakell. When he is on, he is indeed a solid top line winger. With the team so depleted on top forwards, Rakell is the top scorer left. He should be setting an example for the rookies. Instead he is floating and being schooled by guys like Max Comtois.

Agree with everything you said about Getzlaf.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I said offensively skilled player, and I think that honestly Getzlaf has never been the most offensively skilled player on his team. That's obviously going to be based on how you define offensively skilled player.
Fair enough, I personally could not disagree more.

To me, Ryan Getzlaf throughout his prime has been a top 5-10 offensively skilled player in the league. The vision and puckhandling ability at his size is incredible

People talk about how legendary the 2003 draft was...well, Getzlaf goes #1 overall in a redraft

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Yeah they’re woeful defensively but they’ve got the best line in hockey and they were on that game. We didn’t have any forwards in our lineup who could match up with them.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
so sounds like we're getting several guys back this weekend. Assuming Rowney, Getzlaf, Kase, and Silfverberg are all back, I think it's time to send Lundestrom back. Kid is more ready than Steel and Terry, but i'd send him back personally. I'd send Terry and Steel down as well.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Street-Rowney-Gibbons

Edit: When Ritchie's visa is worked out, I see him replacing Street. I just can't see them sending Comtois back, even though I definitely wouldn't mind it.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
so sounds like we're getting several guys back this weekend. Assuming Rowney, Getzlaf, Kase, and Silfverberg are all back, I think it's time to send Lundestrom back. Kid is more ready than Steel and Terry, but i'd send him back personally. I'd send Terry and Steel down as well.

Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell
Silfverberg-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Sherwood
Street-Rowney-Gibbons

Edit: When Ritchie's visa is worked out, I see him replacing Street. I just can't see them sending Comtois back, even though I definitely wouldn't mind it.
I thought silf broke a finger? Is he supposed to be back already?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm just ranting on Rakell. When he is on, he is indeed a solid top line winger. With the team so depleted on top forwards, Rakell is the top scorer left. He should be setting an example for the rookies. Instead he is floating and being schooled by guys like Max Comtois.

Agree with everything you said about Getzlaf.

Rakell and Comtois are different type players. I'm gonna invoke some old school type forwards from EASports. Rakell is a dangler. Meaning he seeks opportunity to open up to score. Basically like Teemu and Kariya. What made Teemu and Kariya work so well as danglers is the yeoman work of center Steve Rucchin. Rooch drove that offense, but was never the finisher because he never had to be. That's why Rakell needs a Getzlaf type center to accentuate Rakell's scoring prowess.

Comtois isn't a dangler. He'll get into the nitty gritty and be a good part of a cycling offense. Comtois is a more versatile player in that respect as he's willing to lay the body and know where to be on offense with a defensive mindset of playing keep away when cycling.

I love where Comtois is right now and where he's projecting to become. But I don't know if he'll ever reach Rakell status when Rakell is in the correct situation. Rico and Kes are defensively responsible centers who love to cycle and get to the front of the net. Getz can play that game too, but Getz has a whole other level of creativity. And it just syncs very well with Rakell - the dangler/sniper. Outside of Getz, we don't have that type of center mentality. Look, Rooch isn't an other worldly offensive center. He's a big, defensively responsible center who drives the offense, but has the creativity to play the dangling game.

Rakell is being changed to different lines to find some chemistry. We don't hear Rakell complain to the media. I think Rakell is setting an example in that fashion. Although I wished Rakell would execute at a higher rate, I think things will work out better once Getzlaf returns or Steel starts becoming more confident in his play. A dangler is reliant upon a center who can facilitate that talent. Now, Perry is also a dangler, but he's and odd ball dangler as he likes to park in front of the net and cycle - he scored 50 goals without Getz for most of one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->