Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don’t think it’s a given like you’re insinuating. I think it’s definitely possible, but I think it’s almosf as likely that some team gets desperate at the deadline.

I was just talking about this with someone on the main board the other day. I definitely do think Silf could land us a 1st + prospect from a playoff contender if BM decided to go that route, but I think that would be more likely to happen mid season when that team can be more sure that they are in that playoff mix and giving up a later 1st. Silf is a good player but he's not the type of guy who you want to end up renting for a very early pick if your season happens to fall in a well, even if you are intending to sign him.

Obviously a trade likely doesn't happen mid season if Silf signs this summer, or if we are in the playoff mix ourselves - but I think we become increasingly more likely to get a 1st for him as we get closer to the deadline. Teams are definitely going to want him in their lineup come playoff time, us included if we're in the picture.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We would obviously get more for Silf if we gave him up right now, but he is such a versatile forward that his absence would wreck our depth. His ability to produce offense while being a very good defensive winger is very valuable to our lineup.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
I would like those types but that is not realistic so at the minimum a 4th liner who can fight and throws big hits. Tanner Glass, Jordin Tootoo etc

If you are looking at salary, hits, ability to fight, and not be an offensive black hole how do you feel about someone like Brett Ritchie?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
IMO we either move Silf this summer or early in the season. Bm won't let it get to a TDL situation as Silf is the type of player you want to add he wont move a player like that if we are in the playoff race and honestly why wouldn't we be? We have Rico to start the season and healthy Getzlaf and Eaves. We should be competative. BM has stated he doesn't like losing valuable assets for nothing so letting Silf walk in UFA doesn't make much sense. They're also going to want to start giving opportunities to Terry. I like silf a lot but I don't think he breaks our forward group. I think the main reason he hasn't been moved is that BM would rather move Perry and will exhaust all options there before he moves on Silf.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
If you are looking at salary, hits, ability to fight, and not be an offensive black hole how do you feel about someone like Brett Ritchie?
That would be an interesting pickup but I don't who Dallas would be interested in and they seem to like him.
A interesting Ufa is former Duck Chris Stewart I wonder if Carlyle can light a fire under him. In the current nhl he's probably a top 10 fighter and obviously has top 6 skill if he can figure it out again (on the Getzlaf, Rackel line)

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
That would be an interesting pickup but I don't who Dallas would be interested in and they seem to like him.
A interesting Ufa is former Duck Chris Stewart I wonder if Carlyle can light a fire under him. In the current nhl he's probably a top 10 fighter and obviously has top 6 skill if he can figure it out again (on the Getzlaf, Rackel line)
Sadly, I don't know of any coach who has been able to get Stewart on track during at least the past five years. At this point I think that mentally he has the game that he is going to play regardless of for whom he is skating. There is enough talent there for him to be very useful. However, I believe that what you have seen is what you are going to get.

Reactions: duckpuck

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
We had Stewart play like an absolute bum on the 4th line once already - we really don't need it again, especially when it would further block opportunities for the younger players (and Anaheim has signed enough 4th liners at this point). Stewart's had 3 seasons that are top 6 level production - and the last one was 5 years ago out of 11 seasons. At this point I'd say it's more evident that he doesn't have top 6 skill rather then having top 6 skill - especially in the current NHL.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

how good of a fighter is, is essentially irrelevant. And every year people ask if they can get Stewart motivated. How long until the answer is simply "he can't be", for any remote length of time anyway.

Edit: I would like Ritchie, but that's not going to happen. Why would Dallas move him? Plus, we have more forwards of the 4th line variety than we know what to do with already. I don't care for most of them, but I don't see us adding another. If we do, I imagine it's a center. I still think we should re-sign Grant, despite the Rowney deal.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Based on the contract he just signed, it looks like Roy feels pretty confident about making the team this year.

Kossila - 125K AHL and 650K NHL
Welinski - 125K AHL and 690K NHL
Roy - 70K AHL and 874K NHL

I can't see him accepting 70K in the AHL, if he thinks that's where he'll likely be playing.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Based on the contract he just signed, it looks like Roy feels pretty confident about making the team this year.

Kossila - 125K AHL and 650K NHL
Welinski - 125K AHL and 690K NHL
Kossila - 70K AHL and 874K NHL

I can't see him accepting 70K in the AHL, if he thinks that's where he'll likely be playing.
I assume the 2nd kossila is supposed to be roy

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
We had Stewart play like an absolute bum on the 4th line once already - we really don't need it again, especially when it would further block opportunities for the younger players (and Anaheim has signed enough 4th liners at this point). Stewart's had 3 seasons that are top 6 level production - and the last one was 5 years ago out of 11 seasons. At this point I'd say it's more evident that he doesn't have top 6 skill rather then having top 6 skill - especially in the current NHL.
As bad as he was, why would you call him a bum?
56 gp 8g 12 a and fights, crashes the net
Find me another 4th liner available that does that and has top line potential?
Last 2 years he has had 13 goals and 10 goals
Id say for a 4th liner that can fight that's a perfect fit. He also hasn't played for Carlyle which is a much better fit than BB

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
how good of a fighter is, is essentially irrelevant. And every year people ask if they can get Stewart motivated. How long until the answer is simply "he can't be", for any remote length of time anyway.

Edit: I would like Ritchie, but that's not going to happen. Why would Dallas move him? Plus, we have more forwards of the 4th line variety than we know what to do with already. I don't care for most of them, but I don't see us adding another. If we do, I imagine it's a center. I still think we should re-sign Grant, despite the Rowney deal.
It's irrelevant to anti fighting posters but I think it's plenty relevant to teams looking to add someone capable of dropping the gloves. And I posted about if he's a 4th liner he's amongst the best and proven he has a chance to have top 6 upside best case. Something players like the crap they've signed definitely do not.
Worst case you get a huge 4th line heavyweight that will score double digit goals and win most of his fights

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
As bad as he was, why would you call him a bum?
56 gp 8g 12 a and fights, crashes the net
Find me another 4th liner available that does that and has top line potential?
Last 2 years he has had 13 goals and 10 goals
Id say for a 4th liner that can fight that's a perfect fit. He also hasn't played for Carlyle which is a much better fit than BB
In what world does Stewart have top line potential? I'd love to hear your reasoning why you think he has top line potential when he has shown the complete opposite for the vast majority of his NHL career.

At 30 years old there isn't untapped potential there, he is what he is - and that's a dime a dozen 4th liner but with some big negatives (such as being lazy on the ice).

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010

Has any Carlyle team been consistently motivated? Seems more often to be maddening in their lack of effort at times....

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
In what world does Stewart have top line potential? I'd love to hear your reasoning why you think he has top line potential when he has shown the complete opposite for the vast majority of his NHL career.

At 30 years old there isn't untapped potential there, he is what he is - and that's a dime a dozen 4th liner but with some big negatives (such as being lazy on the ice).
30 isn't old and find me another 4th liner available who will score double digit goals and still be among the best fighters in the current NHL? I'll wait

Reactions: rlstine

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Carlyle is one the best playoff coaches so I'd say that alone shows motivation. Unless you think every year they need to win a cup.
Carlyle has 49 playoff wins and 41 losses. That's 29th in playoff wins all time. So no, he's not "one of the best playoff coaches." Why you would even think that's remotely true is beyond me. As for Stewart, I liked him when he was here, but there's probably a good reason why he hasn't been signed by anyone. We don't really have a spot for another fringe NHLer, especially in the top 9.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Carlyle is one the best playoff coaches so I'd say that alone shows motivation. Unless you think every year they need to win a cup.

Fun thing Dirk, we are consistent.....we basically don’t agree very often!

Not sure where one of the best playoff coaches comes from, but his greatest success was with a team that should have won,
And IMO he was horribly outmaneuvered whenthe oilers eliminated us prior to our cup win, when we had a damned good team.
And regardless, if you think the Ducks effort has been consistent enough to be a great team, I’m not sure what to say

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo

Last years playoffs must have been an odd playoff year then? He is not a good playoff coach and he is not a good regular season coach. In a nutshell, the only time He has won was the time
He had 2 hall of fame defenders and a hall of fame forward.

As for the Stewart, no thanks. He has been proven to be a bum most of his career. Ducks have too many 4th liners as it is anyways.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Carlyle has 49 playoff wins and 41 losses. That's 29th in playoff wins all time. So no, he's not "one of the best playoff coaches." Why you would even think that's remotely true is beyond me. As for Stewart, I liked him when he was here, but there's probably a good reason why he hasn't been signed by anyone. We don't really have a spot for another fringe NHLer, especially in the top 9.
I'm sure it's possible he's not signed because he has a agent who's asking for too much

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Last years playoffs must have been an odd playoff year then? He is not a good playoff coach and he is not a good regular season coach. In a nutshell, the only time He has won was the time
He had 2 hall of fame defenders and a hall of fame forward.

As for the Stewart, no thanks. He has been proven to be a bum most of his career. Ducks have too many 4th liners as it is anyways.
Last year's playoffs with the team missing Fowler and the corpse of Kesler

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Last year's playoffs with the team missing Fowler and the corpse of Kesler

I don’t think Fowler makes much of a difference (and sharks were also missing an impact player in Thornton) and even with Kesler being a corpse the second line was our best line. Perry, Rakell and the whole third line were all healthy and did absolutely nothing. None of our forwards backchecked the entire series and we couldn’t handle the sharks speed through the neutral zone. Getzlaf was exhausted due to playing too much down the stretch. A lot of the problems were related to poor coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad